Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you like to see in the new iPhone

• Bigger Battery

Votes: 51 51.0%
  • Bigger Screen

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Thinner

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I know it's not going to happen but I'm hoping the first big shock of the Tim Cook era is skipping the iPhone 5s and going straight to the iPhone 6 with a 4.5-5" screen. Then keep selling the current iPhone 5 for those who don't want the larger screen.

Not quite the same but I've been considering the following possibility for the next iPhone event:

Two (2) iPhone models announced:

1. iPhone 5S = new lower-cost model, new form factor
2. iPhone 6 = new flagship model, same form factor as iPhone 5

I don't know that it's not going to happen and I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if it didn't...but I can see at least some logic in doing this, such as increased sales of the flagship to the anti-S crowd. :p

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Mine list:
1. Improved rear camera, 13-Megapixel sensor like the Samsung galaxy s4 , plus the aforementioned flash upgrade
2. Fingerprint sensor, integrated fingerprint sensor to replace the need for usernames and passwords on the phone.
3. New design, bigger screen than the iPhone 5. In my eyes, 4.5 inch is perfect.

----------

5 inches or more. Then I will be a happy camper.

For most of people, I think 5 inch is too large to handle . So may be 4.5inch-4.7inch is perfect. :)

rMBP15

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
bigger screen and multiple colors!

iphone_5s_colors.jpg

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
5 inches or more. Then I will be a happy camper.

4 inches or less. Then I will be a happy camper.

----------

Mine list:
1. Improved rear camera, 13-Megapixel sensor like the Samsung galaxy s4 , plus the aforementioned flash upgrade
2. Fingerprint sensor, integrated fingerprint sensor to replace the need for usernames and passwords on the phone.
3. New design, bigger screen than the iPhone 5. In my eyes, 4.5 inch is perfect.

----------

For most of people, I think 5 inch is too large to handle . So may be 4.5inch-4.7inch is perfect. :)

Are the 13MP pictures from the S4 actually better? I'm genuinely curious.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Not quite the same but I've been considering the following possibility for the next iPhone event:

Two (2) iPhone models announced:

1. iPhone 5S = new lower-cost model, new form factor
2. iPhone 6 = new flagship model, same form factor as iPhone 5

I don't know that it's not going to happen and I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if it didn't...but I can see at least some logic in doing this, such as increased sales of the flagship to the anti-S crowd. :p

Interesting idea, but I'm kinda confused as to why Apple would put any R&D into changing the "budget" model. Why not keep selling the previous model at a larger discount as you have already recouped your expenses in developing it. It just seems contrary to what Apple typically does to cater to the low end version.

Maybe Apple would be best served to copy how they handle the iPad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac and have a 4" and 5" version of the iPhone each year. Why not? They apparently thought having two size options for all the above products was a good idea, this would make both the "I want to operate my iPhone with 1 hand" and the "I want a bigger screen or I'm going to seriously look at Android" camps happy and spending their money on Apple products. Or maybe that just makes too much sense.

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
1. Stability to come in iOS7 that ships with it. iOS6 breaks so easily, needs restarts more often than my old Win98 computers did.

That might be your phone, try to restore. I have not had any problems with IOS6.

iPhone is perfect as is, only changes that need to be done is an improvement in IOS7. All that crap with making things look like notebooks is just annoying.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Interesting idea, but I'm kinda confused as to why Apple would put any R&D into changing the "budget" model. Why not keep selling the previous model at a larger discount as you have already recouped your expenses in developing it. It just seems contrary to what Apple typically does to cater to the low end version.

From my perspective, Apple has never catered to the "low end" of anything. Simply pawning off "last years" model to whoever that demographic is might be taken as a hand-me-down and, thus, not well. By developing and offering a handset specifically for that group, it may be better received.

Maybe Apple would be best served to copy how they handle the iPad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac and have a 4" and 5" version of the iPhone each year. Why not? They apparently thought having two size options for all the above products was a good idea, this would make both the "I want to operate my iPhone with 1 hand" and the "I want a bigger screen or I'm going to seriously look at Android" camps happy and spending their money on Apple products. Or maybe that just makes too much sense.

It doesn't make "too much sense" to me – it makes good sense – and I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple take this approach, at least for a while. Personally, I still have a 3.5" 4S and will likely opt for the 5S but can't say without experiencing it whether or not I'd be comfortable with a phone larger than 4" (I'm inclined to think that I wouldn't [be comfortable] but I won't know until I try).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.