Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnysweet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
My best friend broke up with her BF because they live in two different cities, about 3-hour long journey by train. Is there similar story around you? Do u think long-distance relationship can not last for long?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My best friend broke up with her BF because they live in two different cities, about 3-hour long journey by train. Is there similar story around you? Do u think long-distance relationship can not last for long?

I feel it depends on what stage they are in life. If they are young and in college I don't think it will end up working, if older and have a steady job I think it could end up working.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Long distance can be really hard. Talking on the phone (or Skype/Facetime) every day helps, but it's not the same. You want to be close to the one you love, which is probably why you're in a relationship in the first place.

But 3 hours by train? That's nothing. I had one that was 10-11 hours by jet, in addition to transfer time. We didn't get to see each other very often, because of long flight and expensive tickets. After 2 years, we couldn't take it anymore, so then we got married and we've lived together ever since.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

You should be asking service members. Most of them have long distance relationships all the time. :rolleyes:

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I think 3 hours by train is doable if ones schedule allows time for one to see the other person a couple of times a month. I think trips that involve flying are when it gets more difficult.

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
I know several people in long distance relationships. All are struggling. While they can work it's not easy.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Done the long distance thing. Twice.

One time it was actual long distance (4+ hours of travel), and that was okay, for the time… What throws stuff like that off are circumstance changes for one of the involved parties. For example, going to college, changing jobs, etc. It also depends on how often you get to see the person. I’m a firm believer that you don’t necessarily needed to be in the same place all the time, but having a physical connection (not even just sexual… I’m talking like… the ability to chat face to face) is important to the long-term success of any relationship.

Another “long distance” relationship involved only about an hour “commute” for either of us, but I was in college and she was still in high school. When you’re busy with something like school, an hour commute seems like too much effort.

I’ve recently tried getting back in the dating scene, and over the past few months, have tried to be open to seeing people who didn't live in the immediate area. But, as a young professional starting my career, I don’t have the time or energy to dedicate to traveling to see someone. And when you start a new relationship, an added amount of effort is required. This may be a crappy attitude, but honestly, I think I’m just being realistic.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
It can depend, if the separation is "temporary" due to work assignments or school with the understanding the couple will live together again at the end of a certain period it is fine. A roommate from uni was studying translation in Geneva while her boyfriend/fiance was studying dentistry in the US. this lasted three years then she went to live with him and finish up her degree and start and finish a Master's over there-there had been many visits during the time however.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
My relationship with my wife began as a long-distance relationship. We were three hours apart (by car) and saw each other only on most weekends. Eight months later she relocated to live near me, and a year after that we were married.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
They're actually fine as long as one found the right partner. Had one myself for about four years and it worked out - couldn't even meet for over a month at times.

But long term separations are only part of the problem since you get used to it somehow. Moving together and seeing each other almost all the time, well at least twice per day, is the next...:D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think 3 hours by train is doable if ones schedule allows time for one to see the other person a couple of times a month. I think trips that involve flying are when it gets more difficult.

Only 1.5 hours by train (each) if you meet in the middle. I had a long distance relationship with my wife when we first started going out. After 3 months I moved as I couldn't bare to be without her. Still can't!:eek:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I did long distance 2 1/2 years when my girl went to grad school in NY. Have a couple friends who did 4 years long distance when they went to med school and are now married.

It's hard, most relationships will fail, and if you or her got the itch to cheat buried somewhere in the back of your mind you're gonna do it.

That said a handful of people can make it work. Use a webcam when you can't make the trip, you guys both gotta make an extra effort to stay in each others' lives. Also gotta have a real connection with each other

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Depends on the individuals. My girlfriend moved away for university which was 2 hours from my university (or 4 hours including the bus ride to the train station!), but it's nothing really especially if you're spending Fri night-Sun night or Monday morning. We did that for 5 years. If anything I preferred it that way. We could focus on work during the week and legally relax on the weekends.

Whereas a friend of mine has a girlfriend in a different country. They were "together" for years but only saw each other recently. I think they've spent a total of 1 month together. I definitely couldn't do that especially when you have crazy timezones involved!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
In the end it depends on if both involved feel the relationship is worth it. My guess is, since they are now broken up, that they didn't.

All relationships have a degree of difficulty and distance adds to that. Is it impossible with the distance? No....but it, like anything worth doing, requires some effort.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
The closest my wife and I were before we got married was a 3 hour train journey. Most of the time we were on opposite sides of the Atlantic. That includes the first 8 months of our marriage while we were waiting on US immigration.

We have agreed that the distance wasn't the hard part, it was the time difference. It's much harder to have a relationship when one party is asleep and the other is at work.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I guess it all depends on just how HOT she is... :D Nah, in all seriousness, if you really care for the person, you'll find a way to make it work. My wife and I weren't REALLY long distance (about an hour apart), but it was far enough that we had to work through scheduling issues and such.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
It's doable, but difficult. Both parties have to agree that the challenges are worth it. My girlfriend and I were about 4 hours apart for 8 months (her working in New Jersey, me going to school in Massachusetts). We were able to see each other on weekends, switching off who was travelling, and talked most days on Skype or the phone. For the past year her job has had her travelling to LA Monday-Thursday (we live in the Bay Area, California now), and even with being able to spend 3 days a week together, you have to make sure to communicate and both be on the same page as to where the relationship is.

So long story short, distance is tough but manageable. It requires lots of communication, and being very honest about your feelings and whether you both are able/willing to put in the effort necessary to maintain the relationship. I've always been able to see my girlfriend on weekends, or at least every other week, but I imagine for people further apart it's even harder.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
Long distance relationships are tough.
I agree totally.... I just had to break away (not break up because the two of us lived too far away from each other and we never argued.) After all the stories you hear about certain relationships, I was EXTREMELY luck to have him in my life.

AnnaBee75

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
Long distance relationships are all right for a limited time. It gets tough when its time to level up in the relationship if they are not able to move in together. I know several people that had to end their relationships (after several years) because they couldn't move in together because of their work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.