Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
How much RAM do you have? Usually the system will be much smoother if you do fresh-install rather than upgrade. If you have 'only' 4 GB, then better stay in SL, unless your system will be slowing down later due to insufficient memory & paging it out to the disk (although it's fresh-install system).

Thanks Isamilis, I have 8gb ram and did a fresh install (erased and formatted the disk prior to installing ML).

Also, in ML, Safari is a huge memory hog.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I have no issue using ML in MBA 2012 (i5/8GB). But, I have bad experience using ML in mid 2010 iMac (i3/4GB) and revert back to SL. I also don't like how ML took memory a lot in my iMac for their internal process and left only 1GB for user process. So, in my case, maybe the SSD and memory are the key factors.
In ML, safari took 115mb when light browsing (only 6 tabs open) and around 300mb when opening video and flash etc; booting 5-7 seconds and 3 seconds shutdown.

Thanks Isamilis, I have 8gb ram and did a fresh install (erased and formatted the disk prior to installing ML).

Also, in ML, Safari is a huge memory hog.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I actually like ML. I can see why people who bootcamp Windows complain about the reboot times, but besides that use case I don't see why this is a bother.

One question: Does anyone know a way to get back the bigger "traffic signal" buttons from SL? I'm referring to the red/yellow/green buttons in the top left corner of most windows. The smaller circles still bug me for some reason.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
With 10.8.4, shutdown and startup are pretty zippy for me.

>_>

Then again, it was never actually slow because of my SSD. It was just... suboptimal.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I actually like ML. I can see why people who bootcamp Windows complain about the reboot times, but besides that use case I don't see why this is a bother.

One question: Does anyone know a way to get back the bigger "traffic signal" buttons from SL? I'm referring to the red/yellow/green buttons in the top left corner of most windows. The smaller circles still bug me for some reason.

Interesting, I haven't heard this before, the presence of a windows bootcamp slows ML boot time, even if OSX is selected as the startup disk?

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Interesting, I haven't heard this before, the presence of a windows bootcamp slows ML boot time, even if OSX is selected as the startup disk?

I don't think thats what they were saying. I think they were just saying the need to reboot to Windows is one reason why the boot times would be more noticeable.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

No, the presence of bootcamp does not slow anything.

What I'm saying is, people who use bootcamp for certain apps (like Solidworks for example) often reboot from one OS into the other. Therefore, all the time waiting during reboot is frustrating to them.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
No, the presence of bootcamp does not slow anything.

What I'm saying is, people who use bootcamp for certain apps (like Solidworks for example) often reboot from one OS into the other. Therefore, all the time waiting during reboot is frustrating to them.

Gotcha. I didn't think just the presence of a bootcamp partition would slow boot time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.