Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina
Boring Keynote

The only interesting part was when they had "network" issues. I'm sure the developer community was happy, but pretty boring to me...although better than Facebook's.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What? Game Center? It wasn't even a new idea when Apple did it for iOS.

I'd say Google is late to the game (pardon the pun), but they're not copying anything that hasn't already been copied a thousand times before by a thousand other people.

On another topic, I hate it when a company implements a nice service seen elsewhere, and everyone starts screaming about copying. I don't care who copied who. I want variety.

I never said it something new Apple did,,, all I said was they came out with with AFTER Apple did, suggesting they obviously saw what Apple was doing and thought "hey, why don't we try that to."

Thus, the thinking, why didn't Google do something before ?

Sorry, but i just like to point out every detail here, and bring it up as it being strange since Google never thought abut their own idea.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I never said it something new Apple did,,, all I said was they came out with with AFTER Apple did, suggesting they obviously saw what Apple was doing and thought "hey, why don't we try that to."

Thus, the thinking, why didn't Google do something before ?

Sorry, but i just like to point out every detail here, and bring it up as it being strange since Google never thought abut their own idea.

And cannot the same be said about Apple looking what Microsoft, Steam and other were doing and thinking "hey, why don't we try that too"?

Why it is Google looking at Apple and not Google looking at Microsoft and Steam?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
And cannot the same be said about Apple looking what Microsoft, Steam and other were doing and thinking "hey, why don't we try that too"?

Why it is Google looking at Apple and not Google looking at Microsoft and Steam?

I dunno.... but as of late thats all we hear... "some company has bought this to the table because we saw Apple do it"

I been asking the same question...

timehacker11

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
Love how it's cross-platform; something GameCenter isn't.

Don't even say it's on iOS and OS X. In order to use the latest features, you MUST upgrade to the newest iOS or OS X; meaning previous versions are SOL in regards of access to features. Meanwhile, Google is making it so no one needs to upgrade to the latest version to use the game services.

Renzatic

Suspended
Time to fire up the lawyers!

I can see it now...

"Your honor. What we've done is set up an API our developers can use that allows access to a serve that keeps track of high scores, game achievements, and friends they've made playing multiplayer games".

"Hmm. Sounds like something the Playstation 3, Xbox360, the Wii, and Steam have had since well before 2007. What makes your idea any different from theres"?

"Ours is on a smartphone, your honor. We invented smartphones. It's our innovation".

"THAT SETTLES IT! GOOGLE OWES APPLE 15 BILLION DOLLARS FOR PATENT THEFT".

And then we'll see tons of "Google ripped off Apple's ideas, Apple is allowed to protect their ideas, and Google paid the price" posts in response. It'll be wonderful.

edit: and then it dawned on me that I'm replying to a months old thread. THE SHAAAAMMMMEEE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.