Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
Most of you know more about Apple and Apple products than I do. It seemed like for a long time, iphone was simply the "cool" phone to have (maybe it still is). The iphone name itself was the universal name for any smart phone...kinda like people simply referring to coke when talking about soda. (At least that's true in the south). For those who are more in tune with the Apple brand than me, was this true and is it now losing some of that coolness with the introductions to newer phones like Samsung, HTC, etc? I was just curious to what everyone else thought.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Cool status? Well honestly after I got out of high school, someone elses opinion on what I own stopped having worth. Why should I care what someone else thinks of what I own?
It doesnt.
What matters is what you think. Always has, always will.

As for it being "cool"..thats a relative term. It'll change dependent upon each person. So why bother?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
If you buy a phone to look "cool" then you should rethink your priorities.
It's a phone, an electronic tool, and should be looked at as such.
If you're worried that too many people have an iPhone now or that some other phone is the new "cool" phone, then you probably bought the iPhone for the wrong reason.
Just sayin'.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
If you buy a phone to look "cool" then you should rethink your priorities.
It's a phone, an electronic tool, and should be looked at as such.
If you're worried that too many people have an iPhone now or that some other phone is the new "cool" phone, then you probably bought the iPhone for the wrong reason.
Just sayin'.

Whilst true, the general perception of a brand definitely is a factor for loads of people. This is why you'll see skaters, surfers etc. wearing clothes from brands like Billabong, fashionistas wearing Luis Vuitton, old men driving Ferraris, gamers purchasing Alienware, and hipsters buying Apple products.

It's not strange in any way, and if you can honestly say you're not affected by how you perceive a brand's status when making a purchase you're either being a bit dishonest, or you're a part of a pretty small minority...

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
Ok, it's clear my post was taken the wrong way, so I'm sorry. Maybe using the word cool was the not the right word. Maybe I should have said "THE smart phone to own" Also, I wasn't asking that for my personal interests. It was a general question. I couldn't care less if I have what's considered cool or not. Sorry for not being clear.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Whilst true, the general perception of a brand definitely is a factor for loads of people. This is why you'll see skaters, surfers etc. wearing clothes from brands like Billabong, fashionistas wearing Luis Vuitton, old men driving Ferraris, gamers purchasing Alienware, and hipsters buying Apple products.

It's not strange in any way, and if you can honestly say you're not affected by how you perceive a brand's status when making a purchase you're either being a bit dishonest, or you're a part of a pretty small minority...

I buy things that I like, not based on what others like.
What's the good in buying stuff other people like, when the buyer doesn't necessarily like it themselves, nor see value in it?
That's why I don't get people who buy Louis Vuitton, I've seen people with the bags, and I personally think they're hideous looking, and they're expensive too! Just buy a bag that's nice looking and not costing an arm and a leg, same with phones.
Hence I bought my 4S used after the 5 came out, I like Apple products and the ecosystem, just not the price (although most high-end smartphones have around the same price as the iPhone) I also built my own PC which runs modern-games on medium settings pretty well, and it only cost me ~$400, including monitor and all, rather than getting an overpriced Alienware just so people know I'm a hard-core gamer, bro!

That's just me, I know most aren't like that, but I'm a rebel without a cause :cool:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Ok, it's clear my post was taken the wrong way, so I'm sorry. Maybe using the word cool was the not the right word. Maybe I should have said "THE smart phone to own" Also, I wasn't asking that for my personal interests. It was a general question. I couldn't care less if I have what's considered cool or not. Sorry for not being clear.

I think it went from being THE smartphone, to being the coolest smartphone around, to what it is now - the one you get if you like iOS or if you're not bothered with looking into the alternatives. It's like Coke, as you said earlier ;)

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
I just asked around...

...yes, it is still cool. :p

Just ask Alicia Keys and David Ferrer (in private, of course). :D

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I buy things that I like, not based on what others like.
What's the good in buying stuff other people like, when the buyer doesn't necessarily like it themselves, nor see value in it?
That's why I don't get people who buy Louis Vuitton, I've seen people with the bags, and I personally think they're hideous looking, and they're expensive too! Just buy a bag that's nice looking and not costing an arm and a leg, same with phones.
Hence I bought my 4S used after the 5 came out, I like Apple products and the ecosystem, just not the price (although most high-end smartphones have around the same price as the iPhone) I also built my own PC which runs modern-games on medium settings pretty well, and it only cost me ~$400, including monitor and all, rather than getting an overpriced Alienware just so people know I'm a hard-core gamer, bro!

That's just me, I know most aren't like that, but I'm a rebel without a cause :cool:

My wife just told me the best analogy. When you scratch your car, do you feel the need to get it fixed or do you just let it be until you have nothing else to do? If you're the first category, you're likely the type that will let what (you think) others think of you affect your purchases, if not then you're the guy who has a really bad haircut and an ill fitting shirt but is a lot happier about life in general ;)

I think it was pretty spot on. Personally, I'm the nervous kind so I definitely take design into consideration and feel a little bit better about myself putting an iPhone 5 on the desk instead of the old 3GS ;)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

They actually started out making luggage. Women's handbags were a subsequent addition. At least in the US, iphones are entirely different. Everyone has them, so it's more an issue of becoming commonplace rather than going through phases where more people regard them as tacky.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Maybe I should have said "THE smart phone to own"

Sounds like you are kinda of spinning it.

First mistake: Coming to the Vatican and start questioning catholicism.

"The phone to own" What exactly do you mean by that? Generality doesn't work here, you have to be specific why you think iPhone is losing its edge, and there are tons of those posts already if you just spend a little time browsing.

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
This, I use an iPhone because it integrates into my ecosystem and I enjoy using it. If there comes a day when I don't want to use an iPhone anymore, I'll get an Android, simple as that.

Exactly, I bought the iPhone 5 for its design, iOS platform, and ecosystem. I could have easily bought an android if I wanted to, but I preferred the design and software components. I would never buy a phone for the so called "cool" status, but for its usability and self-preferences.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Most of you know more about Apple and Apple products than I do. It seemed like for a long time, iphone was simply the "cool" phone to have (maybe it still is). The iphone name itself was the universal name for any smart phone...kinda like people simply referring to coke when talking about soda. (At least that's true in the south). For those who are more in tune with the Apple brand than me, was this true and is it now losing some of that coolness with the introductions to newer phones like Samsung, HTC, etc? I was just curious to what everyone else thought.

I think not baby puppy. :cool:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Um...not to put too fine a point on it, but who gives a ***t whether the iPhone is the coolest phone around.

Is one defined by one's phone!?

Is one's identity so fragile that one needs a phone to be "cool"!?

Is that cool, in and of itself!?

There's a problem lurking here...;)

:rolleyes:

Not strange, but kind of sad, IMO.

Honest, really, no kidding...I'm not effected by brand status (except Levis 501 Original Fit jeans...the only jeans to wear) when making my purchases...and I'm incredibly cool!:cool:

Last edited:

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
When iPhone came out in 07 it was THE coolest thing ever, I don't care what anyone says. I didn't get mine till a year later, 08, when they officially released in Canada. Again, and still, the coolest gadget/phone ever!!!!

I'm one my 3rd iPone now, a 5, and while I believe the cool factor has worn off (everyone and there dog has an iPhone now it seems), I still love it and still think it's way cooler than anything else out there :cool:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

I think if you're worrying about being cool, you have more issues than just which phone you should buy.

Get the device that best suits your needs and enjoy, F those that have issues.

Edit.... saw your other post. I think there are so many good options out there which is a great thing for the consumer. I use iPhone because it works for me and of course my family is invested in the app store and iTunes. I don't think other phones feel as nice in hand/to use so I'll stick with i's for a while. Would love to have a 4.5"-5" device but won't hold my breath for that to happen until at least the 6.

Last edited:

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I have iPhone because I am developer in ios. But I admit when I bought iPhone 4 new and went abroad to countries where Apple barely had a presence, people paid much attention and I felt a bit like the king of the hill.

It is a stylish phone and lookes good, and some prefer good looks or factor that in their choices.

Today I feel it is a bit like the reds vs blue, if you have iPhone you are red or if you have android you are blue (and if you have something else you live in the middle-ages ;) )

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It happens with everything. When something is new, and few people have it, it's the talk of the town. It gets noticed in the wild. Back when the iPhone came out, I remember being asked all the time "Is that an iPhone?!" Now, nothing. Frankly, I prefer it that way. I didn't buy my phone to get noticed anyway.

Not sure why people are asking "who cares". For one, the OP. But you are fooling yourself if you think the people around you don;t care that the iPhone is no longer "exclusive". There are threads about it all the time. People care.

Saying "who cares" on the internet is simply saying "I don't care"... :rolleyes:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
The only time it was "hip and cool" to have an iPhone was when the first gen was out. Everybody asked about the phone then and wanted to see it. After that, not so much.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
I live in an area where people try to define themselves as cool by buying Harleys as the "cool" bike to own. I bought a Triumph America (cruiser) because I like the looks and feel, it is more economical and "cool" is meaningless except to how we think of ourselves. The perceptions others have of us are meaningless for the most part. I like what I like and others can care or not care...makes no difference to me.

No phone is cool to me. A day off of work to spend with family....THAT is cool to me :)

Stuff is just stuff...and cool stuff is still part of stuff. Buy for need and enjoy the leftover money for fun.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Yup don't care what other phones others have and don't care about cool status of the iPhone. What I care about is that it works, imtegrates with my home network system of Mac, iPad, and Apple TV perfectly and I for the most part never have an issue with it, even jailbroken.

I have tried android on a small tablet since my dad has a SGN 10.1 and he ask me questions about his "iPad" that I can't answer since it isn't an iPad. The small android tablet I use from time to time to get a feel for it and to become alittle more familiar with the system to help him out but it cannot replace my iPad, or iPhone for that matter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.