Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
Hello, I was just wondering if it is a common thing for certain websites to crash any web browser on mac? I use chimera and it crashes on certain java enabled sites, but this one site:

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

will crash all of my browsers (chimera, IE, netscape). I have no idea what to do, as I wish to view this site to book a ski vacation. I think its somthing to do with java. But all my browers have java plugins enables in the prefs. Any ideas here. Can anyone visit this site on mac witouth it crashing their browser. If so, let me know how you did it! Thanks.

ecino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
hmm..

Wow. Thats amazing. It crashed both my mac's. A G4 400 with 10.2.1 and a ibook with 10.2. Well, since it works for all of you what do you suppose I am doing wrong in my setup? Do I have to change any options to get it to read certain sites? This is very weird. Input from anyone here is appreciated.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i noticed there using a JavaApplet on the site.
make sure you have your java selection in the
browser preferences turned on. also you might
want to trash all cookies related to that site
and try again.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
No problems with IE 5.1.6 under OS 9.2.1

It could be down to somekind of cpu overload, I've got 512K cable so the page loads instantly.

I remember how java applets on some sites would go very strange when I had a 56K connection, it's like the code tries to execute before the image or data it uses is fully loaded.

ecino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
I currently am using the latest 5.2.2 release of IE and the latest nightly build of chimera. As well as Netscape 7, all under OS 10.2.1. Anothger site that crashes all 3 browsers is:

http://www.lbpia.toronto.on.ca/airlinesdestinations/

can someone tell me if these pages I have posted are java enabled, so I may have some luck in isolating this problem? This is just my luck.. a ski resort website and a airline website crash for me. Really makes booking this vacation of mine a nusance. Err

ecino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
snow!!

It does look like a nice ski/board hill dosen't it? I am planning to book a vacation there for this winter. I just wish I could visit the site to get some information. I think i'm going to try omniweb as a last resort here.

ecino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
argg..

Well, just to follow up on trying omniweb.. the results are not good. Although onmiweb seemed to start loading the page (came up with a black background) it stood there with a spinning beach ball 'thinking' for about 10 seconds, then crashed! I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of universal internet, or java preference that could be causing these crashes? fsck -y dosen't come up with any problems but should I be booting into 9 and scanning the disk with norton? Thanks for youre replies.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well both of those sites seem to load just fine on my IE, but i have had the same problem on a couple sites myslef. including http://www.houstongrandopera.com
i was trying to log on to their site to get tickets to la boheme and la triviata...but it crashes IE and mozilla and cunning. oh well

ecino1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
Well I have isolated this problem quite well by finding several sites that crash all my browsers. I find that any site with a java applet or embeded java applications will cause the crash. I can't seem to fix this. I also cant find a download of java VM or JSE for OS X so that i could reinstall it. Any input here? This really sucks.. I can't even play online euchre.. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.