Website that crashes ANY browser!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ecino1, Oct 20, 2002.

1. macrumors member

Hello, I was just wondering if it is a common thing for certain websites to crash any web browser on mac? I use chimera and it crashes on certain java enabled sites, but this one site:

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

will crash all of my browsers (chimera, IE, netscape). I have no idea what to do, as I wish to view this site to book a ski vacation. I think its somthing to do with java. But all my browers have java plugins enables in the prefs. Any ideas here. Can anyone visit this site on mac witouth it crashing their browser. If so, let me know how you did it! Thanks.

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Didin't crash me, running 10.2.1 with Chimera 0.5 Build 2002101104 (a nightly)

3. macrumors G4

Didn't crash mine, but then again, I'm on a PC.
    Mozilla 1.1
    Have you tried it on another computer in your house? (assuming you have another)

4. job
    macrumors 68040

job

It did not crash on me.

IE 5.2.2
    Mozilla 1.1

5. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

6. thread starter macrumors member

hmm..

Wow. Thats amazing. It crashed both my mac's. A G4 400 with 10.2.1 and a ibook with 10.2. Well, since it works for all of you what do you suppose I am doing wrong in my setup? Do I have to change any options to get it to read certain sites? This is very weird. Input from anyone here is appreciated.

7. macrumors 68000

beatle888

i noticed there using a JavaApplet on the site.
    make sure you have your java selection in the
    browser preferences turned on. also you might
    want to trash all cookies related to that site
    and try again.

8. macrumors 68020

barkmonster

No problems with IE 5.1.6 under OS 9.2.1

It could be down to somekind of cpu overload, I've got 512K cable so the page loads instantly.

I remember how java applets on some sites would go very strange when I had a 56K connection, it's like the code tries to execute before the image or data it uses is fully loaded.

9. thread starter macrumors member

I currently am using the latest 5.2.2 release of IE and the latest nightly build of chimera. As well as Netscape 7, all under OS 10.2.1. Anothger site that crashes all 3 browsers is:

http://www.lbpia.toronto.on.ca/airlinesdestinations/

can someone tell me if these pages I have posted are java enabled, so I may have some luck in isolating this problem? This is just my luck.. a ski resort website and a airline website crash for me. Really makes booking this vacation of mine a nusance. Err

10. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Crashes my browser (Mozilla 1.1) running on 10.2.1

11. macrumors 603

12. macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Im running chimera and im fine.

Opens it fast and easily :)

-chris

13. macrumors newbie

I didn't crash my browser but it DId make me want to go snowboarding. Geez, I can't wait for the snow.

14. thread starter macrumors member

snow!!

It does look like a nice ski/board hill dosen't it? I am planning to book a vacation there for this winter. I just wish I could visit the site to get some information. I think i'm going to try omniweb as a last resort here.

15. thread starter macrumors member

argg..

Well, just to follow up on trying omniweb.. the results are not good. Although onmiweb seemed to start loading the page (came up with a black background) it stood there with a spinning beach ball 'thinking' for about 10 seconds, then crashed! I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of universal internet, or java preference that could be causing these crashes? fsck -y dosen't come up with any problems but should I be booting into 9 and scanning the disk with norton? Thanks for youre replies.

16. macrumors 6502

well both of those sites seem to load just fine on my IE, but i have had the same problem on a couple sites myslef. including www.houstongrandopera.com
    i was trying to log on to their site to get tickets to la boheme and la triviata...but it crashes IE and mozilla and cunning. oh well

17. thread starter macrumors member

Well I have isolated this problem quite well by finding several sites that crash all my browsers. I find that any site with a java applet or embeded java applications will cause the crash. I can't seem to fix this. I also cant find a download of java VM or JSE for OS X so that i could reinstall it. Any input here? This really sucks.. I can't even play online euchre.. haha