Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajaved05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hello,

Im new to the mac world, i just bought my ibook yesterday with my student discount. I was downloading all the nessacery apps i need and i had a problem with aim, and i was wondering if this is just me or do alot of people get this?

after i sign on, and maybe check someones profile, the aim program crashes. I copied this from the error message:

(i tried reinstalling twice, and still the same problem)

Date/Time: 2005-09-17 12:32:32.539 -0400
OS Version: 10.4.2 (Build 8D37)
Report Version: 3

Command: AOL Instant Messenger (SM)
Path: /Applications/AOL Instant Messenger (SM) ƒ/AOL Instant Messenger (SM)/Contents/MacOS/AOL Instant Messenger (SM)
Parent: WindowServer [58]

Version: 4.7 (1333)

PID: 222
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000004

is there maybe some patch out there or was my mac just not made for instant messaging?

any help is appreciated.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
You don't need AIM: iChat is AIM but for Macs... give it a whirl, I think its purdy. :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
might want to give http://www.adiumx.com a try as well, unless you need to do file transfers/direct connects or A/V this things is the best out there, especially for multi client chatting. and its still not a 1.0 release yet, and sooo many customizations available.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
I use to have the same problem. click on update mac software and see if that helps. After installing the latest updates from apple my aim's been pretty stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.