Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maybezack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
In a way it is the root cause of the problem. Since the OP is not a developer, he would have had to obtain the software illeagally, so his hands are not clean. Just because you Can do something does not mean you should.

I wonder how many Apple store employee man hours have been lost due to crap like this. -- I think it should be against the TOS of the forum to even ask for help like this.

Had the OP waited for the actual release of iOS 7 he would still have a fully functional phone.
very good points

I offered to pay the guy at the Apple Store for his time

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder how many Apple store employee man hours have been lost due to crap like this.

Likely none. They are instructed that outside of obvious hardware damage like a busted screen or dropped in water, they are not to support phones or computers with beta software in them. Per the terms developers agree to when they download

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
In a way it is the root cause of the problem. Since the OP is not a developer, he would have had to obtain the software illeagally, so his hands are not clean. Just because you Can do something does not mean you should.

I wonder how many Apple store employee man hours have been lost due to crap like this. -- I think it should be against the TOS of the forum to even ask for help like this.

Had the OP waited for the actual release of iOS 7 he would still have a fully functional phone.
I wasn't aware that installing a beta version of iOS was against the law. :confused:

Otherwise, good points, and I agree with you to some extent. I've installed the beta myself, despite no longer being a developer - a friend added me to his account and that was that. I know better than to go to Apple with problems, but I still check the forums here for advice when problems arise. Yes, I realize it's a beta and I don't expect it to work perfectly, but it's good to know how to get around problems as they occur. That's sort of the point of having a dedicated iOS 7 forum here.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I wasn't aware that installing a beta version of iOS was against the law. :confused:

Otherwise, good points, and I agree with you to some extent. I've installed the beta myself, despite no longer being a developer - a friend added me to his account and that was that. I know better than to go to Apple with problems, but I still check the forums here for advice when problems arise. Yes, I realize it's a beta and I don't expect it to work perfectly, but it's good to know how to get around problems as they occur. That's sort of the point of having a dedicated iOS 7 forum here.

Not against the law, but will void your warranty.

maybezack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Also, its not like I'm actively trying to get over on Apple or anyone. In fact I paid retail for another 5 today.

Obviously Im not super tech-savvy. My buddy showed me 7. I liked it, and went and got it the first way I read how to. It worked really well for a few days too which is why this issue surprises me.

----------

Not against the law, but will void your warranty.
I could wait till iOS7 IS supported in a couple months (and the phone I think should still have warranty)

Then possibly someone could fix it. (Or would you think it's totally gone)

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Also, its not like I'm actively trying to get over on Apple or anyone. In fact I paid retail for another 5 today.

Obviously Im not super tech-savvy. My buddy showed me 7. I liked it, and went and got it the first way I read how to. It worked really well for a few days too which is why this issue surprises me.

----------

I could wait till iOS7 IS supported in a couple months (and the phone I think should still have warranty)

You could, but the Apple stores in Toronto I've been to have a hardware black-box (I've seen it on the genius bar but forgot what its called) that possibly could read the firmware on a "bricked" iOS device. YMMV. Worst case would be an OoW replacement, best case a friendly Apple Genius.
O2MOBILE-SOFTWARE_Cellebrite-UFED.jpeg

Similar but not the one pictured.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A week or so ago, someone couldn't downgrade to iOS 6 after multiple attempts with different methods on 2 different Macs.

He then tried it (DFU and then restore) on a Windows PC and it worked. Go figure-

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
A week or so ago, someone couldn't downgrade to iOS 6 after multiple attempts with different methods on 2 different Macs.

He then tried it (DFU and then restore) on a Windows PC and it worked. Go figure-

Huh. Certainly worth a try, though. I've always found it easier to put iPhone into DFU mode in Windows -- the USB connect/disconnect sounds are really useful in getting the timing right.

GoldSpartan

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
I'm in the same boat with my 4s
i tried deleting the apple line in the host file and then restoring with dfu mode and a 6.1.3 file and it keeps telling me that my device ineligible for that build
any ideas ?

marce43

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Exactly the same problem

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my iPhone 5: I installed the iOS 7 beta (I do have a developer account). It worked perfectly for a few days, but I also noticed it was running hot and then all of a sudden just went "dead". Trying to restore it with either iOS 7 or iOS 6 does't work: tried on 2 different MacBooks, even a Windows 7 PC, different cables, etc, etc. Keep getting error 2001 or 2006. Driving me nuts. I have an appointment at the Apple store on thursday, hope they can fix it! Still, if anybody has a suggestion, would be great!

Marc

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Does iOS 7 have a time bomb for non-registered developers by any chance? BTW I had a similar issue, I just decided to download iOS 6 and restore to that instead.

When in DFU mode, which version are you trying to restore, iOS 7 or 6?

GoldSpartan

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
i'm trying to restore back to 6.1.3 from idownloadblog.com
so i put it in dfu and hit option restore and find the file and it goes to download it and at end i'm told my device isn't eligible for the build

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
There has to be some hidden issue that is preventing all these iPhones from being restored/downgraded.

Luckily when I went back from 7 to 6, it was successful on the first try. All I did was DFU and then click on restore in iTunes, I didn't even download firmware manually (iTunes downloaded the firmware first in the background.)

For those having problems- if you DFU and just click on 'Restore' and let iTunes pick the firmware, does it tell you immediately that it can't restore for whatever reason? Or does it first tell you that 6.1.3 will be installed, but then the restore fails?

The only other idea I had is if Apple made some small tweak to 6.1.3 to provide for downgrades, so when I restored iTunes downloaded the most recent version. I doubt this is the case though.

The exact steps I took to DFU were as follows:
1. Attach the phone to the computer
2. Turn the phone off
3. Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
4. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

jkeaser360

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Damn

same thing happened to me, trying a new cord because mine has a bad spot but i dont think there is any hope other than that:(

Abba 701

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Does iOS 7 have a time bomb for non-registered developers by any chance? BTW I had a similar issue, I just decided to download iOS 6 and restore to that instead.

When in DFU mode, which version are you trying to restore, iOS 7 or 6?

What's a time Bomb? My phone did sort of stop working today.was just stuck on lock screen.Had to restore back to 6.1.4and it didn't work on one computer.Had to use another.As good as ios 7 looks dosent seem worth it to upgrade and go though these problems.Especally on the phone up you use for everyday life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.