Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
That will be definitely awesome... I have played Max Payne 3 someshow on PS3 however My friend retrieved by I finished the game, which was like begging episode. Thank you for sharing us.. If you did not share here, I would not learn right away..

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Will the steam PC version be upgraded to work on mac (like valves games when you can play the game on Windows and OSX) or will we have to buy it again?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Awesome news!:)

Hopefully, Rockstar will release it on Steam too, so we won't have to buy it again.:)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I don't think I've ever hated a game quite as much as I hated Max Payne 3.

Everything about it, from the ceaseless whining of the self-pitying main character to the dead-eye, bullet-sponge enemies.

Can't design a decent level or program smart AI? Then simply make every enemy know exactly where you are at all times, so they can plug you the instant you emerge from cover. And give them body armour so they can take three or four headshots before going down.

It's relentlessly repetitive. Shoot 50 guys, get killed by somebody who spawns on a roof behind you, get chucked back to a checkpoint 5 minutes earlier because there's no quicksave, listen to Max grumbling about what a loser he is...

I got to the final confrontation, which is ridiculously hard, died about 20 times, deleted the install. It's almost 30GB, so I won't be tempted to download it again.

4/10. Dismal sequel from a developer who simply doesn't have a clue about what made the original games so good.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I don't think I've ever hated a game quite as much as I hated Max Payne 3.

Everything about it, from the ceaseless whining of the self-pitying main character to the dead-eye, bullet-sponge enemies.

Can't design a decent level or program smart AI? Then simply make every enemy know exactly where you are at all times, so they can plug you the instant you emerge from cover. And give them body armour so they can take three or four headshots before going down.

It's relentlessly repetitive. Shoot 50 guys, get killed by somebody who spawns on a roof behind you, get chucked back to a checkpoint 5 minutes earlier because there's no quicksave, listen to Max grumbling about what a loser he is...

I got to the final confrontation, which is ridiculously hard, died about 20 times, deleted the install. It's almost 30GB, so I won't be tempted to download it again.

4/10. Dismal sequel from a developer who simply doesn't have a clue about what made the original games so good.

Sounds like you had a Payneful experience with the game....

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Did you not read what I just wrote right above you?

I did, then I dug deeper and discovered this:

"Coming to the MAC App Store on June 20th, 2013, and out now for Windows® PC in North America and Europe."

There are however unofficial reports of Steam version, so yeah, I am sure to check both Steam and the Mac App Store, tomorrow.:)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Will the steam PC version be upgraded to work on mac (like valves games when you can play the game on Windows and OSX) or will we have to buy it again?

Considering the version I bought for Windows wouldn't even work in Bootcamp, I'm hoping that bringing it over to Mac will allow me to finally put that purchase to good use!

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
About a Steam version, Max Payne 3 showed up in my Mac games list on Steam a few weeks ago. So it's conceivable that it will be a Steam Play game. That being said, The Longest Journey has been in my Mac games list for many months now with a Mac release on Steam yet to materialize, so you never know.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
The Rockstar PC/Mac page says its coming to the App Store. I promptly bought it at 11:55PM EST. Its nearly done downloading.

Then I was poking around rockstar support out of curiosity and saw this:

On the Steam version of Max Payne 3 for Mac, initial activation requires internet connection and a valid Rockstar Social Club account (13+ to register); Online play requires log-in to Rockstar Social Club (13+)

The Mac App Store version of Max Payne 3 does not require an Internet connection to play using an offline profile.

From: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/24289781-Max-Payne-3-Mac-System-Requirements

So it seems like we will see a Steam version? But right now its App Store only. Ack.

In other news I've made a Mac Crew if anyone is interesting in joining. :) http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/the_mac_gamer_crew

I have no idea yet how the Multiplayer works. App store to app store only? Crossplay with Mac steam? Crossplay with all PC players? No Idea. I'll find out soon enough.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Pressing [Play Now] button on Steam no longer says it's not available on current platform.

Just a bit longer I guess.:)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I have no idea yet how the Multiplayer works. App store to app store only? Crossplay with Mac steam? Crossplay with all PC players? No Idea.

Although rare, it is POSSIBLE to have MacAppStore and Steam crossplay multi-player. I know that it has been accomplished with one game in the past, and that game happens to be (Aspyr's) Call of Duty Black Ops for Mac.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm happy to report any Mac version of the game has full cross-play with the PC players in Multiplayer. Woot!

Still struggling to play the story though. Took me 3 downloads/installs of the game just to get it to launch, and then it just froze on me after a few minutes. Grr.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Awesome news!:)

Hopefully, Rockstar will release it on Steam too, so we won't have to buy it again.:)

Of you're you're going to have to rebuy it. I've heard that Rockstar quite liked the XBox One's DRM policy and may implement their own form of it, requiring you to buy a copy for every computer you own. They've also been inspired by the Planetary Annihilation beta on Steam, and will now charge $90 for it. Hey, they don't call it "Max Pay 3" for nothing.

;)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I just read elsewhere that this is a Cider port? Can someone confirm if that is really correct and better still give us some feedback on how the game performs and on what hardware, etc.? Thanks! :D

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
It is a Cider port. I checked the app.

The game runs flawlessly on 1920x1080 rez and High settings across the board. My comp specs are in my signature.

A friend of mine however reported that the game ran horribly on his Mac Pro with an Nvidia card. He was curious if the game was badly optimized for Nvidia cards. I can't say as I don't have one, but it runs great on my iMac.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It is a Cider port. I checked the app.

The game runs flawlessly on 1920x1080 rez and High settings across the board. My comp specs are in my signature.

A friend of mine however reported that the game ran horribly on his Mac Pro with an Nvidia card. He was curious if the game was badly optimized for Nvidia cards. I can't say as I don't have one, but it runs great on my iMac.

Thank you very much. Well that is good news about the performance. I have a mid-2011 iMac with the 6970m GPU so it sounds like I should be golden then. :D

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
It was barely worth the day or two rental on redbox to beat.

Let alone $30 app store a year or however long after release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.