Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
I would buy this cable, as it's usefulness is about the same as a small keyring flash-drive or keyring flashlight. It's something I'd remember I had if I needed it. $25 is nothing for the convenience. If it were $30, I'd gripe.

----------

Make it $30, and include a t-shirt that says "I spend exorbitant amounts of money on Mac peripherals."

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I hope they stay in business until I get the updated phone this fall. Carrying around a full USB 30-pin in my bag (usually also with the wall adapter) is a waste of my attempted minimal bag space. I'll pay more for the convenience here....just like with every single Apple product I own

C

champ01

lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter-0.jpg

How about just make this work and not deliberately crippling it.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I recieved mine in the mail this week, I paid $10 for mine on the Kickstarter deal, this is def NOT worth the $25, there is a 5 second delay for the charging/syncing actually kicks in. Also the Lightning plastic head is wider than Apple's and it doesn't fit with my Lifeproof or my Spigen Slim Armor cases. The Kickstarter was made back in Oct/Nov and was delayed so much, I keep it on me just in case on my keychain, but I have so many Apple Branded USB Lightning Cables it doesn't even matter anymore. :(

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Having a cable on your key chain is a great idea, but I'd prefer something a bit better designed than a short length - something like the Scosche FlipSync would fit much better with my keys.

Shame they don't make a lightning version.

Last edited:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
It IS a good idea...Just sounds like it isnt quality material? Thats a shame.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
It's quite cool, a bit pricey but as people have said I'm sure it's being produced in low numbers, and the high cost parts will be the connectors rather than the cable.

Now all you need to go with it is a large battery with a key ring chain and a USB port, so you've actually got a power supply for recharging your phone with you... :D

eznoh

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
I got one from Headphone Project (headphoneproject.com) for 9.95 and free shipping. Works just fine.

Mike

paulrustad

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Really?

People are complaining about price: how much do you spend at Starbucks for grande latte? $5, maybe more in California. After 1 week, you have spent 25 and having nothing to show for it. With the dongle, it will be around in 10 years still giving you value.

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
People are complaining about price: how much do you spend at Starbucks for grande latte? $5, maybe more in California. After 1 week, you have spent 25 and having nothing to show for it. With the dongle, it will be around in 10 years still giving you value.

USB is already like what, 15 years old? Why do you need a converting cable in the first place? Look at the lifespans of other 'recent' computer standards. Chances are, USB will be gone in another 10 years. Also, a plastic part on a key chain wouldn't last for a decade with most people.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I freelance a lot all over the city. I bought this, even though I feel like the price is a bit high. To have my keys, my LaCie key drive and a charging cord all in my pocket is fantastic. One ultra compact package to go.

To each his own though.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I find it hilarious how many people can't even wrap their heads around that fact that the cable is shorter, yet costs more. You don't understand this as you use a PHONE that costs more than some ENTIRE COMPUTERS. I'm talking powerful computers with 20" displays that can play games and hold WAY more data than your phone.

Wait, what's that? You want convenience? Oh. Something you can carry around in your pocket with ease? I guess I can understand that.

As someone who has no desire to buy this cable, I at least can still understand how the convenience could be worth the money for some people. A $25 cable you use 1000 times is better than $20 cable that is too long for your needs that you just leave in a drawer.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
People just like to complain!

All the negative comments on here crack me up, if you don't like it don't buy it!

They're not saying you have to buy it, it's just a product that some people will find very useful, I bought one and felt its worth the $25 I payed!
It's a very handy mini cord that I can use with my back up battery, charge in car or a USB port on any computer that's near.

If its going to break your bank at $25, how do you justify the cost of an iPhone???
:apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.