Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded build 12F17 of OS X 10.8.5 to developers, offering a third version of the next Mac operating system update for testing. The release comes one week after the appearance of the previous beta of OS X 10.8.5, build 12F13.

12f17.jpg
As with previous betas, the update comes with no known issues and can be downloaded via Apple's Developer Page or through the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Testing on OS X 10.8.5 comes as Apple is also continuing work on its next major version of OS X, Mavericks. Apple has already seeded two developer previews of OS X Mavericks and has announced that it will launch the new operating system to the public this fall.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F17 to Developers

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
Can any one explain to me why they are still doing this instead of putting extra work in Mavericks? Not that it bothers me, just asking

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Can any one explain to me why they are still doing this instead of putting extra work in Mavericks? Not that it bothers me, just asking

Mavericks isn't coming for months, and there are things in Mountain Lion that need fixing.

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica

Because otherwise, people would start crying because "apple doesn't care about mountain lion any more" and some people will complain that mavericks is a piece of **** and they rather stay with snow leopard...

beelzebubba

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013

Because many people still run ML and will even after Mavericks comes out. ML will likely be the end of the line for some older Macs and Apple has done fairly well in supporting legacy machines even past the five year end of life.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
Because otherwise, people would start crying because "apple doesn't care about mountain lion any more" and some people will complain that mavericks is a piece of **** and they rather stay with snow leopard...

Snow leopard...and what is wrong with Panther ????

:D

mstrshikadance

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
(not trolling)

first time that safari has ever been snappier for me....running rMBP.....but it might also just be because safari in mavs is horrible

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
(not trolling)

first time that safari has ever been snappier for me....running rMBP.....but it might also just be because safari in mavs is horrible

Are you kidding me? Safari 7.0 finally solves the memory issue which was introduced in 5.1 where when you open many tabs, web process just crashes. 7.0 does not have that, the single most annoying Safari bug in 2 years being solved finally.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Because many people still run ML and will even after Mavericks comes out. ML will likely be the end of the line for some older Macs and Apple has done fairly well in supporting legacy machines even past the five year end of life.

You do know that Mavs will run any Macs that also run ML, right? ML isn't the end of the line for anything.

beelzebubba

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
You do know that Mavs will run any Macs that also run ML, right? ML isn't the end of the line for anything.

A compatibility matrix hasn't been released yet though there is an understanding that most machines that will run ML will run Mavericks. Requirement of the "advanced GPU" could be one of the determining factors. There has been no official word that everything that runs ML will run Mavericks.

The post that somehow the resources devoted to 10.8.5 impede Mavericks is specious from the get go. Throwing resources or developers at a release doesn't automatically mean it will develop quicker. The 10.8.4 machines still have issues that need to be resolved. If one looks at the release history, particularly when there is a large upgrade they would find a pattern similar to the release pattern currently in use. The release schedule shouldn't be news to anyone that's been developing for or even following the platform for any length of time.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
For the latest beta seed, can someone, who has used it, find it within themselves to just stated the speed of shutdown in seconds, with no further comment, either positive or negative. i.e. no comments such as, "Why are people upset with slow shutdown times". Just empirically state the shutdown time, in seconds, period. Full stop. No comment.

----------

Well, I have rMBP too, and Safari is much much better in Mavericks.... nearly butter-smooth :)

As a Chrome user, it'll have to be snappier than Chrome to tempt me away.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
For the latest beta seed, can someone, who has used it, find it within themselves to just stated the speed of shutdown in seconds, with no further comment, either positive or negative. i.e. no comments such as, "Why are people upset with slow shutdown times". Just empirically state the shutdown time, in seconds, period. Full stop. No comment.

No change in 10.8.5 and 10.9 DP 2

Dr.Ravencroft

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Germany

----------

As a Chrome user, it'll have to be snappier than Chrome to tempt me away.

How about your curiosity? :p Use it and see for yourself :)

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Chrome on Mac is never as snappy as Safari. Safari is the best coded browser on Mac in terms of speed.

+1,

I love safari for Mac. I love google chrome for windows.

Chrome remains terrible for me on my 15" rMBP; the scrolling is nowhere near smooth, whereas Safari is excellent.

There are couple little things I do miss from Chrome, notably favicons on the tabs for easy identification and the tiny fact that when closing a lot of tabs, chrome doesn't resize them until you mouse away from the tab area so the targets you may be trying to click aren't moving.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.