Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airport_utility_icon-250x250.jpg
Both the Mac and iOS versions of AirPort Utility have received an update today, fixing an issue that caused some AirPort Base Stations not to be recognized by the apps.

The bug fix follows last month's AirPort Utility update that added support for Apple's new AirPort Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule, both of which support the faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

The OS X update for AirPort Utility can be downloaded via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store and the iOS version can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AirPort Utility for Mac and iOS Updated with Bug Fix

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
How about bringing back all the features of the old one? Whose bright idea was it to remove the "advanced" tab totally and not even let you use all of your AirPorts' features?

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Haha I'm still using the old version with all the nice settings, not this modern crap that gives me no control over my devices.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
fixing an issue that caused some AirPort Base Stations not to be recognized by the apps.

:confused: I'm surprised I've never heard of this bug before, the Airport utility/Airport Extreme has always been solid for me. Then again most of my troubleshooting with it had more to do with "How do I enable X" than "why isn't X working".

Oh well, bug fixes are bug fixes.

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Mine did it too

My 2009 iMac running 10.8.4 exhibited the missing base stations using APU 6.3, however our MBP 2008 running same OS didn't.:rolleyes:

Searching inline found a solution that involves setting IPv6 to "Local Link only" this fixed it for me.:)

Having said that have downloaded the new version hope it still works ;)

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
My 2009 iMac running 10.8.4 exhibited the missing base stations using APU 6.3, however our MBP 2008 running same OS didn't.:rolleyes:

Searching inline found a solution that involves setting IPv6 to "Local Link only" this fixed it for me.:)

Having said that have downloaded the new version hope it still works ;)
Had the same issue, setting IPv6 to anything but "off" solved it. :cool:

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
It would be great if they added an option to see (log) the amount of monthly internet traffic.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Maybe this was for more complex setups?

I know I recently had to set up a wireless network at a convention center for a show, and we strung multiple Airport Extremes (5th. generation models) around the place as "extenders" to the primary unit, to get enough signal coverage.

I had some issues with the iOS utility not detecting all of them properly in that arrangement.... Generally, the units with ethernet cables wired between them would show up fine, but wireless extenders were hit and miss.

I think I wound up using the utility on my Macbook Pro to get one of them configured when the iOS one on my phone just refused to see it. (After it was set up, I think it finally appears in the iOS utility though.)

Anyway, I completely agree that Apple taking away advanced features stinks.... I believe the new ac routers don't even let you configure SNMP on them anymore.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I know I recently had to set up a wireless network at a convention center for a show, and we strung multiple Airport Extremes (5th. generation models) around the place as "extenders" to the primary unit, to get enough signal coverage.

I had some issues with the iOS utility not detecting all of them properly in that arrangement.... Generally, the units with ethernet cables wired between them would show up fine, but wireless extenders were hit and miss.

I think I wound up using the utility on my Macbook Pro to get one of them configured when the iOS one on my phone just refused to see it. (After it was set up, I think it finally appears in the iOS utility though.)

Anyway, I completely agree that Apple taking away advanced features stinks.... I believe the new ac routers don't even let you configure SNMP on them anymore.

Had a similar issue extending just the 5GHz channel from a new Airport Extreme ac to last generations placed in our other media room. Running 10.9 as a developer on my Mac Pro cut any use of Airport Utility 5.6 (which I dragged and dropped into 10.8 and ran well). I tried the new OS X utility, frustrated I resorted to running ver. 5.6 on my HTPC Mac Mini which remedied any errors.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't include an "Advanced" section; keep the app simple for general users while allowing advanced users improved control and settings (esp. important to the enterprise sect). Simple.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How about bringing back all the features of the old one? Whose bright idea was it to remove the "advanced" tab totally and not even let you use all of your AirPorts' features?

You can still use the older software on the older hardware

I figure this may be the last Airport router I buy. They don't have much of a feture set any more. Not worth the price. It's really dumb of Apple to remove software based features that don't add to the manufacturing cost.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I believe the new ac routers don't even let you configure SNMP on them anymore.

SNMP, and syslog, and time server syncing, are all missing from Airport Utility 6.x. At least with the prior base stations, you can still use AU 5.6.x and configure these items. The new AC base stations are only configurable with AU 6.3.x. SNMP might still be there, but you cannot configure it anymore.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
SNMP, and syslog, and time server syncing, are all missing from Airport Utility 6.x. At least with the prior base stations, you can still use AU 5.6.x and configure these items. The new AC base stations are only configurable with AU 6.3.x. SNMP might still be there, but you cannot configure it anymore.

It's a shame as I copied version 5.6 into Lion as it ran on 10.7 and 10.8 (cannot install it on 10.8 or 10.9). 10.9 won't even run the copied app. Tried running it with plists and other modifications, it is somehow code dependent (similar to Rosetta based apps in 10.7+).

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
It's a shame as I copied version 5.6 into Lion as it ran on 10.7 and 10.8 (cannot install it on 10.8 or 10.9). 10.9 won't even run the copied app. Tried running it with plists and other modifications, it is somehow code dependent (similar to Rosetta based apps in 10.7+).

Have you tried 5.6.1 (the Snow Leopard version)? I have that running on 10.8.4. It won't install, but you can copy the app from a Snow Leopard install, or extract it from the install package. In either case, just rename it so it doesn't collide with the current version. I don't have 10.9 available to try it on.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Have you tried 5.6.1 (the Snow Leopard version)? I have that running on 10.8.4. It won't install, but you can copy the app from a Snow Leopard install, or extract it from the install package. In either case, just rename it so it doesn't collide with the current version. I don't have 10.9 available to try it on.

It works in 10.8, but 10.9 won't even run the same app. See the attached image for the app icon in 10.9. Bummer. The best I can recommend is filing bug reports for "UI" or functionality, and non-developers to email Apple with requesting for unsupported features in the current Airport Utility. (I've tried 5.6.1 as well) Thanks any ways, here's hoping it improves :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 7.00.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 7.00.17 PM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,509
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.