Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_13_20121.jpg
Apple today released an update for the Mid-2013 MacBook Air to fix both an issue that caused some users to experience severe flickering when using Adobe Photoshop and a bug that caused some users' Wi-Fi to intermittently disconnect.
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2013) models.

This update fixes an issue that in rare instances may cause an intermittent loss in wireless connectivity, an issue with Adobe Photoshop which may cause occasional screen flickering, and an issue which may cause audio volume to fluctuate during video playback.
News of the screen flickering issue emerged shortly after the release of the 2013 MacBook Air, when users began noticing display flickering when using Photoshop, especially when accessing the app's larger brush tools. An Adobe representative noted that it was likely a driver or GPU issue and last week, a tipster reported that OS X 10.8.5 fixed the issue, suggesting that Apple had found a solution.

New MacBook Air owners also experienced Wi-Fi connection issues, prompting Apple to begin looking for a solution in mid-June after issuing an order for Apple Geniuses to "capture" MacBook Airs experiencing connectivity problems.

Apple's June 2013 MacBook Airs use the newest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, which is designed to offer faster connectivity and bandwidth.

The update can be downloaded via the software update page or through the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Air Software Update to Fix Photoshop Screen Flickering and Wi-Fi Connection Issues

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
u know this isn't exclusive to air '13, i sometimes experience wifi issues with my pro '12 why not release it to everyone? Or is there a compatibility issue I'm missing?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Amazed how fast Apple got into the problem, and fixed all 3 within a month. :)

dlbmacfan

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
The fix is working for me in Photoshop CS6! But now I'm getting a new graphics glitch; not nearly as bothersome, but a problem nonetheless. Let's say I'm running several programs including Photoshop. When I switch from another program to Photoshop by using Mission Control, I get a flickering glimpse of the the program window I'm switching from superimposed on Photoshop. It only lasts a split second but it's annoying. Anyone else having this problem? I should note that I don't get the problem when I switch from Photoshop to another program.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Quite impressed with how responsive they are not just with the well publicized Wifi issue but the also the flicking and sound fluctuation issues. REALLY looking forward to purchasing one of these once my state's tax holiday kicks in next month :D

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interestingly, I have a new 13" MBA purchased on June 29, but when I try to run the update I get the following message:

Alert
This software is not supported on your system.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
yup I hope this shuts all the trolls up.

Well, this troll still wonders why his background resets upon reboot on three different retina MBPs since 10.8.1. However, while they fail to fix some of the glaring issues, at least they are pretty prompt at fixing the important ones.

alsojames

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
MBA 2013 13" i7. This patch didn't fix the roughly 50% packet loss on WiFi that I've been experiencing on some networks - no change in behaviour.

The MBA replaced a Macbook Pro 15" 2012 model which didn't experience the issue. 10 other Pro's and Retina's in the office which don't have the same problem. No issue with my 2011 MBA either.

I've experienced it on three networks so far, all 5GHz WPA2 Enterprise 11n.

I haven't tested to see if it fixes flickering in Fusion while running single screen and auto mouse yet.

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Indeed, some other competitors take years to only release a fix that breaks something else. Haha.

My 08 15in MBP had a flicker issue, for a long time i thought it was because of the Nvidia 9400M turned out it was the driver. They actually fixed it but it took like a year or maybe more.

it wasn't so bad, it would occasionally flicker at random (generally after long periods of time, sometimes 2 happened not to long from each other).

I was pretty disappointed when i took it to the apple store because the computer had shocked me 3+ times and the flicker and they were just like, thats how they are.

I'm glad they did fix it though. I love Apple but I hate Apple Stores.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Well, this troll still wonders why his background resets upon reboot on three different retina MBPs since 10.8.1. However, while they fail to fix some of the glaring issues, at least they are pretty prompt at fixing the important ones.

I'm not targeting you with my comment. I'm targeting the Apple doesn't build good products anymore and doesn't care about their issues people, etc.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
It opens, it just says "not supported on this system"

You could also open it with Pacifist in a different Mac OS or use some other extractor in Mavericks, extract the files, then put them in manually. I don't know how annoying that would be to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.