Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mansfield.png
Apple Senior Vice President Bob Mansfield has been removed from Apple's Leadership website in the past 24 hours with no explanation.

Update: According to AllThingsD:
"Bob is no longer going to be on Apple's executive team, but will remain at Apple working on special projects reporting to Tim," company spokesman Steve Dowling told AllThingsD.

He declined any further explanation, refusing to comment on the reasons behind Mansfield's abrupt demotion or whether Apple plans to appoint a new SVP of technologies.
Mansfield is currently Senior Vice President of Technologies reporting directly to Tim Cook, a position he took last October, overseeing a group focused on innovation in wireless technology and semiconductors.

His page has been completely removed from Apple's website, though it is still visible on Google's cache.

Last year, Apple announced that Mansfield would be retiring, but several months later announced he would instead be staying at the company. Later, it leaked that Tim Cook had faced an "insurrection" after Mansfield announced his retirement, and Cook gave him an extremely generous benefits package.

At the time, it was reported that Mansfield had committed to stay at Apple through at least 2014, influenced in no small part by the departure of former iOS chief Scott Forstall.

Mansfield has been instrumental in Apple's success in recent years, overseeing the development of the very successful MacBook Air notebooks, as well as recent iPhone and iPad designs.

Article Link: Apple SVP Bob Mansfield Leaving Exec Team; Will Work on 'Special Projects' Reporting to Tim Cook [Updated]

r018u

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Surely nothing too surprising, especially after he took all those $millions of shares to persuade him to stay! :eek:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Surely nothing too surprising, especially after he took all those $millions of shares to persuade him to stay! :eek:

So he milked Apple as much as he could, and now he's either 1) moving on or 2) retiring. Either way, smart guy!

Beachhead999

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2013
That dude needed to go. Next should be the dbag that said "can't innovate my ass". Douchiest line ever

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wait... Weren't those "$millions of shares" there to keep him there? They call them golden handcuffs for a reason.

No official word that he's gone, right? If he is gone then I suppose those handcuffs aren't all that tight. ;) He's a smart man if he got what he could from Apple.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
No official word that he's gone, right? If he is gone then I suppose those handcuffs aren't all that tight. ;) He's a smart man if he got what he could from Apple.

Certainly not arguing he didn't make a large fortune thus far. Just pointing out that if he does leave early, breaking a contract, his generous compensation to stay longer would likely go away. Then again, like you said, we don't know if he's gone. (my words) --->Or if he is, who is the responsible party.

Last edited:

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Fat Hands, Sharp Edges

NOW I get why the iPads' edges are so uncomfortable. This guy has fat hands, the sharp edges probably just squish in like a pillow. The edge discomfort probably never entered his mind. I have thin, large hands and those sharp edges are horrible to hold! I have to use a soft case on my iPad.

Get a thin guy in there to design an iPad EVERYONE can hold without discomfort. :D

richeyty

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2013
More website errors for apple? If so, that would suck. How many people have to hack apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.