Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
The finale for Season 7 was pretty good IMO. :)

It was probably one of the best eps of a really lacklustre forgettable season...

And the only thing good about it was some half arsed attempts at CGIing classic footage into new.

Indeed... I recently read this wonderful quote...

Give a monkey a word processor and it's not going to produce the works of Shakespeare; give some colourising software to a monkey and you're going to get The Name of the Doctor. It's a very simple equation....

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The series has taken a downturn since Moffat took over as the head writer, IMO. I really hope he hasn't decided to choose a boring person to play Smith's regeneration.

Yeah, I must say, I was a huge fan of Moffat when I first watched "Blink" and the "Silence in the Library" 2-parter - I was really excited when he took over as Exec Producer, and his first go at it was pretty solid I thought. This past season though, although I've enjoyed the episodes (it is Doctor Who after all) I feel like I am getting a bit tired of him and the common themes he keep bringing up. They were cool at first, but now a bit overdone. I believe he'll still be around for a while, so I'm curious to see what transpires at the end of the year when a new Doctor comes on board - always an exciting time no matter what!

----------

Yep, just came across this today. I have nothing against Matt Smith, I think he's been a good Doctor, but always good to see some fresh blood take on the role. :)

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Sorry to see him go, feels like he only just got here.:(

Id have to agree with the previous posts.

I think Matt Smith was great as the Doctor but his tenure was marred by uneven scripts stuttering story lines and spit seasons. I don't feel like he ever really got going.

Id be happier if Moffat was going and he was staying.

Now we have to put up with all the who's next nonsense, months of "why cant the doctor be a woman" or Jonny Depp or Eddie Izzard etc etc

Then they'll pick somebody nobodies ever heard of and he'll be fine.

Not sure if Matt Smith was my favourite Doctor, but he's the only one i've seen playing football in the park. ;)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
"If some Dalek can **** something up, that Dalek will pick the worst possible time to ****ing **** it up because that Dalek's a Dalek."

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not familiar with him (other than "Fires of Pompeii" I guess) but looking forward to seeing him as the new Doctor.

He looks like an older David Tenant to me... ;)

peridot

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Is it just me or does he look really creepy in this clip:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=VDGzzGRKukE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVDGzzGRKukE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be#

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Pretty good choice. I'm happy it wasn't a young Doctor again. Hopefully they replace the terrible Clara with someone like Sladen. I want someone who has same relationship that Sladen had with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. The closest we've had was Donna.

To be honest, I've hated watching Matt Smith, mainly because of the terrible writing by Moffat. I would have liked to see him leave too. But I guess you can't have everything.

So is this going to be the last Doctor? I thought there was a limit? Or is Capaldi going to be the second last Doctor?

Last edited:

peridot

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
So is this going to be the last Doctor? I thought there was a limit? Or is Capaldi going to be the second last Doctor?

Each Timelord can have 12 regenerations, so there can be 13 total. The big question right now is whether or not John Hurt's doctor "counts".

I don't think it's worth fretting over one way or another. It's sci-fi, so as long as there's money to keep making the show, there will be an excuse written in to give him another regeneration.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Still staggered that people really think they'll just stop this huge money making internationally popular series after 13 Doctors because a script writer in the 1970's thought it sounded like cool idea.

It's basically the "Millennium bug" of sci-fi. pedants make a big fuss of it but it will easily fixed in future scripts or better still just ignored.

Last edited:

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK

Oh you are so right... Just Google Malcolm Tucker or 'In the Thick of it"...

I just hope he takes his Malcolm Tucker character into space... Just imagine the putdowns to assistants, aliens and humanity in general...

The-Thick-Of-It-008.jpg

"He's so dense light bends around him"

"NOMFuP. N-O-M-F-P. Not My ****** Problem. I quite like that. Did you like that? I'll use that quite a lot today."

"Of course you have a choice. You can choose how you say yes. Do it with a voice, have fun with it."

And the classic...

"How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that"

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Still staggered that people really think they'll just stop this huge money making internationally popular series after 13 Doctors because a script writer in the 1970's thought it sounded like cool idea.

It's basically the "Millennium bug" of sci-fi. pedants make a big fuss of it but it will easily fixed in future scripts or better still just ignored.

Totally agree, I don't see it as a problem at all, rather I'm excited for when the eventual time comes to see how they go about addressing it.

And they still have to better explain and deal with the whole Valeyard thing too in my opinion... ;)

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I read somewhere that he's the oldest actor cast as the Doctor - older than Hartnell.

Things I'm wondering:

Are we going to see the Valeyard? I suppose that depends on whether John Hurt counts as a regeneration.

Is this doctor going to perhaps be somewhat more {*doctor evil grin*} evil? Okay - maybe not evil, but maybe not quite as manic or likable as 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.