Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
According to EA's official system requirements, you need at least an NVIDIA 9400M or Intel HD 3000.

Your MBA has an Intel HD 3000. You do meet minimal requirements, but I doubt you'll run it with a satisfying framerate unless you're playing it on Low. Maybe Medium at best but I'm not sure given the amount of stuff going on at once.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah I'm curious to see how the HD4000 in my 2012 air will handle it. Has anyone on here run the windows Sim City beta via bootcamp or a VM?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The game has only been released as a Beta test. No one really knows how it runs since their closed beta only lasts like 1 day.

Totally missed the recent beta because I was partying in Vegas lol

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah I'm curious to see how the HD4000 in my 2012 air will handle it. Has anyone on here run the windows Sim City beta via bootcamp or a VM?

I have the 2012 Air and have played the game.

Performance is so-so. On the lowest settings, the game is reasonably smooth. You can up it to medium and the game is still playable, but consistently stutters. For the most part, you won't run into problems building your city, but the game uses a lot of transitions and camera movement which can be frustrating when the frame rate drops.

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
I played it on HD4000 - mba 2011. Unplayable on anything but the very low settings. Even then though, the framerate leaves a lot to desire. It might be better if you use boot camp. :)

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
I've got it set to low on MBA i5 2013 13". Runs really well!
Not checked any settings higher than low yet.

I also have the i5 2013 MBA and while the game is playable, I wouldn't say it runs really well. Lots of dropped frames and the movement is not at all smooth. Once you get to a sufficiently complex city size it gets even slower. This is on OS X. I did run it under bootcamp for a bit and I did not notice it running that much better. What resolution do you have it running at?

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
I also have the i5 2013 MBA and while the game is playable, I wouldn't say it runs really well. Lots of dropped frames and the movement is not at all smooth. Once you get to a sufficiently complex city size it gets even slower. This is on OS X. I did run it under bootcamp for a bit and I did not notice it running that much better. What resolution do you have it running at?

:(
sounds dissapointing...
Does the 2013 MBA i7 bring a playable simCity? Anyone?

MVa

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
:(
sounds dissapointing...
Does the 2013 MBA i7 bring a playable simCity? Anyone?

MVa

The game is certaintly playable, it just isn't very smooth. The game is not greatly optimized and I doubt the i7 would make this any better. Let's hope Mavericks brings better OpenGL performance or that EA gets off their ass and optimizes the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.