Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Hey guys,

first of all I'd like to offer my opinion on Macs.
For years now I was interested in Apple products but I'd thought never to buy one because it's so daringly expensive. But last year I simply thought "yeah whatever I really WANT this thing" and got myself an iMac. For Office, SimCity and other games I got myself Windows 8 for Boot Camp later. Having been a long term Windows 7 user I was disappointed to see the UI being non-translucent again. This didn't bother me much though because I mainly used OS X anyways. I was very satisfied with the performance of my iMac and the screen size was pretty decent as well (I didn't really like the 27" model because I always felt punched in the face by that giant screen.) and I didn't ever want to go back to my old Windows machines. This summer, I started to need a laptop for my work. I thought what could be a great mobile machine and saw what other people used and also looked around in stores, but those Dell, HP, Samsung, etc. devices were looking awfully cheap, thick and heavy. So I decided to at least have a look at how pricey Apple laptops are, and the 11" MacBook Air with just 999$ came to my mind, which was just as expensive as many other laptops around. I really liked it being on OS X, being non-plastic but aluminum unibody and being so amazingly thin. (Also I liked the glowing Apple on the rear.) I got it and since then I don't want to put it away. Installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp so I could also take Office on the go, and made it my everyday companion. Can't complain - it's an Apple laptop, what'd I expect.
Now my question: I some day found out the MacBook Air was just the same brightness on OS X and on Windows, but on OS X it was maxed out (full bar) while on Windows it was like half the brightness maximum. I turned it up on Windows and suddenly - whoa how bright can this thing be! - it was brighter than it ever became on OS X. Doesn't bother me because I turned it down again, other than the volume. It's the same thing: OS X is on loudest setting, while Windows is only at 40%. I really like how iTunes sounds through Windows with sound optimization so I'd like to have that on OS X as well. Any idea how to do this?

Sorry for the long post and please excuse any grammar problems (I'm from Germany) but please indicate them so I can improve my English speaking skills. Anyway, thanks for reading!:)

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Hey guys,

first of all I'd like to offer my opinion on Macs.
For years now I was interested in Apple products but I'd thought never to buy one because it's so daringly expensive. But last year I simply thought "yeah whatever I really WANT this thing" and got myself an iMac. For Office, SimCity and other games I got myself Windows 8 for Boot Camp later. Having been a long term Windows 7 user I was disappointed to see the UI being non-translucent again. This didn't bother me much though because I mainly used OS X anyways. I was very satisfied with the performance of my iMac and the screen size was pretty decent as well (I didn't really like the 27" model because I always felt punched in the face by that giant screen.) and I didn't ever want to go back to my old Windows machines. This summer, I started to need a laptop for my work. I thought what could be a great mobile machine and saw what other people used and also looked around in stores, but those Dell, HP, Samsung, etc. devices were looking awfully cheap, thick and heavy. So I decided to at least have a look at how pricey Apple laptops are, and the 11" MacBook Air with just 999$ came to my mind, which was just as expensive as many other laptops around. I really liked it being on OS X, being non-plastic but aluminum unibody and being so amazingly thin. (Also I liked the glowing Apple on the rear.) I got it and since then I don't want to put it away. Installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp so I could also take Office on the go, and made it my everyday companion. Can't complain - it's an Apple laptop, what'd I expect.
Now my question: I some day found out the MacBook Air was just the same brightness on OS X and on Windows, but on OS X it was maxed out (full bar) while on Windows it was like half the brightness maximum. I turned it up on Windows and suddenly - whoa how bright can this thing be! - it was brighter than it ever became on OS X. Doesn't bother me because I turned it down again, other than the volume. It's the same thing: OS X is on loudest setting, while Windows is only at 40%. I really like how iTunes sounds through Windows with sound optimization so I'd like to have that on OS X as well. Any idea how to do this?

Sorry for the long post and please excuse any grammar problems (I'm from Germany) but please indicate them so I can improve my English speaking skills. Anyway, thanks for reading!:)

Sorry I don't have an answer for you,but your English is Fantastic.Better than many native speakers.
And I'm jealous since I took German in High School and college and have forgotten most of it.
Congratulations!

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Sorry I don't have an answer for you,but your English is Fantastic.Better than many native speakers.
And I'm jealous since I took German in High School and college and have forgotten most of it.
Congratulations!

Okay thanks :eek: didn't expect that :)
If you want to I could help you by refreshing some of your German.

Anyways, I still don't understand why the volume is so much higher on Windows than on OS X, especially because it is a native OS X machine. This sounds like a car which goes faster with two additional seats in it:D any ideas what this could be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.