Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Am I the only one who feels that Apple essentially released an operating system that only looks good on white iPhones? The amount of white space and bright neon hues is staggering in iOS 7 and it simply looks out of place on a black iPhone. There are no options for darker dynamic backgrounds and every Apple app includes an overload of pure white, what gives? This is something no less than 5 of my iPhone owning friends have pointed out and it's mirrored in Apple's advertising that only features the white iPhone 5S. Did Apple forget that black iPhone 5's exist?

Apple definitely made an OS that looks great... on the white iPhone, but why didn't they have a simple toggle that uses dark grey or black as the primary color for backgrounds? Why near-black dynamic backgrounds? Why no dark-grey interface version? I know everyone in the beta was practically begging for this, and now that I have iOS 7 on my black 5, it just plain looks weird every time I look at it.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I was using ios7 beta on a white 5 for a few months.. I was a bit woried about switching to a black 5s.. But honestly it diesnt bother me to much.

White apps dont look nearly as bad on the black phone as black apps do on the white.. My 2¢

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Finding the right wallpaper helps a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 217

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Am I the only one who feels that Apple essentially released an operating system that only looks good on white iPhones? The amount of white space and bright neon hues is staggering in iOS 7 and it simply looks out of place on a black iPhone. There are no options for darker dynamic backgrounds and every Apple app includes an overload of pure white, what gives? This is something no less than 5 of my iPhone owning friends have pointed out and it's mirrored in Apple's advertising that only features the white iPhone 5S. Did Apple forget that black iPhone 5's exist?

Apple definitely made an OS that looks great... on the white iPhone, but why didn't they have a simple toggle that uses dark grey or black as the primary color for backgrounds? Why near-black dynamic backgrounds? Why no dark-grey interface version? I know everyone in the beta was practically begging for this, and now that I have iOS 7 on my black 5, it just plain looks weird every time I look at it.

No. Not at all. 7 is a huge improvement over 6 in so many ways and the aesthetic on black iPhones looks great in my opinion. It may be the background you've chosen.

peridot

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Finding the right wallpaper makes all the difference. I was really pleasantly surprised once I found "the one".

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
You shouldn't have to find a wallpaper to make a bunch of funky icons looking aesthetically pleasing.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I agree this new vibrant iOS is best experienced on a white or gold iPhone, i have always been using a black iPhone since the 3G, but the new iOS sticks out like a sore thumb, also the silver ring around the home button looks better on white my next iphone and ipad will be a white one.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
You shouldn't have to find a wallpaper to make a bunch of funky icons looking aesthetically pleasing.

Apple's idea of "dynamic" theming. It's rendered most of my favorite wallpapers useless. But I agree with others, tinker with various wallpapers.

And I find the darker wallpapers do look better on my black 5s...as long as there's still plenty of color in them.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Key to making iOS7 pleasing to your eye whether on a white or black iPhone5S is a wallpaper which makes the icons friendly. Busy wallpapers tend to take away, while colorful simple wallpapers look aesthetically pleasing.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Not to jack the thread, but i am disappointed that apple did nothing to fix the fact that if i set a picture as my wallpaper. It zooms in way too much. I kept hearing oh wait till they release the final version. They will fix it then. Well here we have the GM and final release, and still i cannot use personalized wallpaper because of the fact it zooms way in. Even when i fool with the settings and turn off panorama and other stuff. It still does not help. Seems like an oversight by Apple.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
Not to jack the thread, but i am disappointed that apple did nothing to fix the fact that if i set a picture as my wallpaper. It zooms in way too much. I kept hearing oh wait till they release the final version. They will fix it then. Well here we have the GM and final release, and still i cannot use personalized wallpaper because of the fact it zooms way in. Even when i fool with the settings and turn off panorama and other stuff. It still does not help. Seems like an oversight by Apple.

Turning on "reduce motion" in accessibility fixed it on my ip5 and both my ipad4's.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Am I the only one ......

Never really quite understood these kind of questions that starts with "Am I the only one" Surely you are not and you know it. You could be a billionare and not be the only one, never mind when it comes to preference matters.

On the subject, I love iOS 7 to the point that iOS 6 and the other previous versions look hedious to me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

If you don't like it, just invert the colours under settings. Does that suit your taste better?

Attachments

• IMG_1296.PNG
    IMG_1296.PNG
    82.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wished apple would provide a dark theme but overall I'm not noticing anything weird, it looks fine to me.

iWeldonJ

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I had iOS 7 while I had my white iPhone 5 and yes, it looked so much better . When looking at the apple site you can see that it was designed for white, which has always been apples color of choice, and style.... Simplicity.

I got stuck with space age gray, and to me it just doesn't flow. I'll play with darker wall papers and see if that in fact helps.

Someone just mentioned the silver ring around the home button, I don't see a silver ring around mine. Mine is all black, is that normal?

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I had iOS 7 while I had my white iPhone 5 and yes, it looked so much better . When looking at the apple site you can see that it was designed for white, which has always been apples color of choice, and style.... Simplicity.

I got stuck with space age gray, and to me it just doesn't flow. I'll play with darker wall papers and see if that in fact helps.

Someone just mentioned the silver ring around the home button, I don't see a silver ring around mine. Mine is all black, is that normal?

Only the white iphone has a silver ring. The black one having a silver ring is a misconception. I've been playing around with wallpapers. It's better but not perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.