Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
My new iPhone 5s, which has been in a case since I walked out of the Apple Store with it on launch morning, is ever so slightly bent. It's incredibly minor, but noticeable to a discerning eye.

Never been used out of the case other than for the purpose of this video. Never been dropped. Never been in a back pocket. Never been sat on.

Video evidence: http://vimeo.com/75929528
You can see that when I apply pressure to the bottom of the iPhone, the top half lifts slightly from the table. I compared this with a friend of mine's 6 month old iPhone 5 which does not exhibit this.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
My new iPhone 5s, which has been in a case since I walked out of the Apple Store with it on launch morning, is ever so slightly bent. It's incredibly minor, but noticeable to a discerning eye.

Never been used out of the case other than for the purpose of this video. Never been dropped. Never been in a back pocket. Never been sat on.

haha, made me chuckle.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
haha, made me chuckle.

I've been an Apple owner for over 10 years and have had an original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S all without issue. I'm a dedicated Apple customer and hope that they can help me; I have no reason to lie about this.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I've been an Apple owner for over 10 years and have had an original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S all without issue. I'm a dedicated Apple customer and hope that they can help me; I have no reason to lie about this.

easy chief, see the bold which made me chuckle. there's another thread about someone sitting on their iPhone and demanding it be replaced which made me think of it.

can it be the table you have it on? just a suggestion to try it elsewhere.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
what is she saying?
Haha, I think she was talking about the baseball game that was going on. Some sort of post-season game, I'm personally not a fan and don't pay much attention. :p

caseycrocker

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Phoenix
Mine too

I noticed my first 16gig Space Gray 5S was bent right out of the box! Had that one replaced same day only to get a slightly less bent one.

Putting light pressure on the top part of my phone on a flat surface lifts the bottom of the phone about 1 millimeter or so. Apple tech explained they don't know what is causing the issue but have seen a few reports at the store level of this happening.

Decided I will continue to use this device unless the bend gets worse, but it does not lay flat as my Black iPhone 5 does :confused:

Also had a co-worker test his wife's Space Gray 5S and same issue so seems to be common.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't know if it's more noticeable in person, but based on the video, that is so very minor...

zer06ame

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010

You can see that when I apply pressure to the bottom of the iPhone, the top half lifts slightly from the table. I compared this with a friend of mine's 6 month old iPhone 5 which does not exhibit this.

That's unfortunate. If it really bothers you I'd request a replacement from Apple. I received multiple faulty MBPs (although minor, my trackpad creaking audibly when touched/scratch in AG film/etc. is not deserving of $2600) and they completely understood every time and swapped it out for a new one.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I have seen many like this. It's from production. Without it's internals and screen adding sheer, the aluminum is easily bent. You can bend it back by putting the phone out of a case on a hard flat clean surface, put a facecloth or light thin towel under, then take a large heavy text book and push evenly on the phone. It will bend back to shape.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
You phone can get bent even in your front pocket.

My fiends 5 got bent badly in his front pocket. The can and do bend:(

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
What kind of pants is your friend wearing :D , it is impossible to bend a phone in front pocket :D

Funny how some people make comments that are not true.

His pants were loose, phone in front pocket. Phone was between his leg and the table edge he slightly bumped and it was at the level where it bent the phone right at the volume button. This "bending" can happen many ways as the 5 and 5S is weak and if hit just right can and DID bend. :p

Apple is only giving us what they think we are demanding and that is thinner and lighter. At the same time they increased the length which makes it even more vulnerable to this stress

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.