Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I want to be a little more specific about this.

I did a clean install of Mavericks GM from a USB drive on my 15" rMBP.

1. Prior to installation i wiped my drive with Disk Utility.
2. I installed Mavericks GM.
3. Installation was flawless.

I then noticed that there was no recovery partition installed during the installation. So I attempted to reinstall the recovery partition by invoking the internet recovery feature. If there is no recovery partition, on supported systems, the machine will download and install a recovery partition through the internet recovery process. This fails with error # 2002F.

Anyone have the same issue? Any ideas?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The lack of recovery partition is what's hampering you. Installing OSX via a USB drive is what causes you not to have a recovery partition, this install method does not give you a recovery partition.

I think there's a way for your to create one, but I'm not sure if I saw it here or else where.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
You need to create the USB-installer using the simple, automatic method rather than the cumbersome, manual and apparently not fully-functional method.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1614422/

You don't have to copy the createinstallmedia executable anywhere btw, you can just execute it in place.

You might be on to something there. I manually created the install media. Nevertheless, I was finally able to invoke internet recovery, however, it seems it downloaded the Mountain Lion recovery partition not the Mavericks one.

If I go into my iCloud settings under 'System Preferences', I cannot enable 'Find My Mac'. It says there is no recovery partition available.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
A bootable usb made with this method will install a recovery partition at the same time you install the mavericks GM:

Your 8 GB USB drive should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal and wait about 20 minutes:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

You should see something like this:

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

You can then boot up from the USB by holding down the option key, then install the GM from the USB.

The manual method you used (the one on osxdaily website) does not install a recovery partition.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Where should the installer be placed in the above method i.e. in the Applications folder or some other location on in the file system? Also the installer is called 'Install OS X Mavericks.app'

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You might be on to something there. I manually created the install media. Nevertheless, I was finally able to invoke internet recovery, however, it seems it downloaded the Mountain Lion recovery partition not the Mavericks one.

That is by design and it will always be like that on your machine even after Mavericks come out. Internet Recovery (as opposed to regular recovery from the recovery partition) will always skip whatever recovery is on our drive and download the recovery system for whatever version OS your machine came from Apple with. So in your case, the serial number on your machine is linked to Mountain Lion on Apple's recovery servers, so you will always get Mountain Lion from an Internet Recovery.

A command-r will try to start recovery from the recovery partition and this will use whatever version of the OS you have installed. So if you have a Mavs recovery partition on there is will try to install Mavs.

A command-option-r boot will skip the recovery partition and go straight to Internet Recovery as I described above.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

That's Internet Recovery; your computer booted from an image downloaded from the internet. Normal recovery boots from the recovery partition and then downloads packages from the internet. If your computer is new enough (older models can't do this) and without a recovery partition, it'll do Internet Recovery instead.

If I go into my iCloud settings under 'System Preferences', I cannot enable 'Find My Mac'. It says there is no recovery partition available.

Yeah, you should re-install using a properly-created usb installer. Probably best to do a full clean install.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Yeah, you should re-install using a properly-created usb installer. Probably best to do a full clean install.

That's what I'm going to do. I'm just going to finish up a Time Machine backup 1st so that I can restore from a clean install. I had just finished installing all software and docs. Don't want to have to go through that process again.

Thanks again everyone.

flickapix

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
carbon copy cloner can create a recovery partition although currently its mountain lion so may need to wait for an update, it can also create an installer too, http://www.bombich.com

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
carbon copy cloner can create a recovery partition although currently its mountain lion so may need to wait for an update, it can also create an installer too, http://www.bombich.com

There is a new CCC version 3.5.3 released today that has full Mavericks support, so it should work for recovery partition copying like before.

From the release notes:

This update is fully qualified on Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, and now Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.