Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
thinking of purchasing these....

are these any good? They are very expensive for would like honest reviews

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Bit of a late response, but mine are fine with the GM of iOS7 and now 7.0.2.

When I was originally looking for new buds I was looking at the Bose and B&W. The Apple Store dudes tempted me to try the Jaybirds, and WOW!

It seems as if it was related to the Beta versions of iOS. Everything has been great since the GM file came out.

----------

thinking of purchasing these....

are these any good? They are very expensive for would like honest reviews

Honestly, I bought the first pair of Jaybird headphones and returned them because they sounded like you were listening to your music through a tin can.

The blue buds on the other hand are amazing. Got them last year as an Xmas gift and use them a few times a week when I run. It is imperative that you find the right fit... earbuds and whether or not you need the wingtips.

The sound quality is fantastic for a bluetooth headphone.

Have recommended to a few friends and they are very happy as well.

Good luck!

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008

I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you had any new updates or insights on your purchase. I was interested in these more than others because of the battery life, comfort and sound quality. I am a bit worried about quality vs price and the sweat issue you had talked about earlier. Have you had any issues since then with the bad sealing or costumer service?

Thanks

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Jaybird Bluebuds X

Not much to report. The replacement Bluebuds Jaybird sent me have performed faultlessly.

I think you probably pay a premium for Bluetooth functionally so unless it's an imperative one would probably get a better pair of wired phones at this price point.

Having said that the Bluebuds out perform a pair of wired Shures I have so the performance is impressive.

Last edited:

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Not much to report. The replacement Bluebuds Jaybird sent me have performed faultlessly.

I think you probably pay a premium for Bluetooth functionally so unless it's an imperative one would probably get a better pair of wired phones at this price point.

Having said that the Bluebuds out perform a pair of wired Shures I have so the performance is impressive.

Thanks for the update, I think I'm going to go for these out of the competition.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Thanks for the update, I think I'm going to go for these out of the competition.

They aren't cheap, but I don't think you will be disappointed. I have own them for just over 6 months and use them almost daily. The sound quality is good and they stay in my ears without coming loose. The battery life is pretty good too, and you can see a battery icon on your iphone to see how much battery life is left.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I have yet to find better in-ear bluetooth headphones.

The only thing (and this is big) is you NEED to replace the tips. The crummy little rubber tips that come with them don't seal especially well and fall out easily. Replace them with the Comply TX500 tips (I use the isolation plus) and congratulations, you now have the best bluetooth IEMs on the market.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
I have yet to find better in-ear bluetooth headphones.

The only thing (and this is big) is you NEED to replace the tips. The crummy little rubber tips that come with them don't seal especially well and fall out easily. Replace them with the Comply TX500 tips (I use the isolation plus) and congratulations, you now have the best bluetooth IEMs on the market.

I have no complains about the tips they come with. They seal fine for me and there are three sizes. That being said, typically I lose tips on earbuds and have to buy replacements so i just put the TX500 tips on my amazon wish list.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I have no complains about the tips they come with. They seal fine for me and there are three sizes. That being said, typically I lose tips on earbuds and have to buy replacements so i just put the TX500 tips on my amazon wish list.

$15 for three of 'em, can't lose. If the silicone works for you, then you're gonna LOVE the foam.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
You welcome!

Be sure to come back and post your impressions!!

well I have had them now for about a week and have taken them on about 12 miles of running as well as just around the house. Finding the right size was a bit of a pain for me but once I got that right these headphones are great. If the seal is good the headphones block out a lot of sound. The range of these are good enough I can go anywhere in the house while listening or making a call. I was even able to go outside and walk around the house (cut out only slightly on the sides). My only complaint is call quality could be ... Better. The jaybirds are also stellar when pairing. Voice commands notify you of everything thats happening so you're not guessing about a variety of tones. Connection happens fast as well.
If you have the money and want freedom from cords this is a great pair of Bluetooth headphones so far.
If you don't have the money I also got a pair of Photive overear headphones for $40.
Comparatively the Jaybirds won on sound quality, size, noise cancelation and pairing ease but the photives are still a solid pair of headphones for the house when I don't want to wear in ear.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I'm reading a lot of good things about these earphones. However, they seem to be from nov/dec 2012, so they're almost two years old.

What are the chances that they'll come out with an updated version in the near future? Two years is a long time to make further improvements, e.g. the size, and most reviews touch on quite a few little things that could be improved. On the other hand, I can't really find any other (more recent) comparable BT earphones, so it's not like they have a lot of competition.

Just feel like it'd be a shame to spend $170 when a new version comes out a month later.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
ios8/iPhone6

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but anyone else issues on ios8? I can't tell if it's the phone or iOS as my 5 is now sold, but I'm having stutter/range issues with the above combo that I never had on my 5 - could be out walking for 8 hours with no issues until they died....

I've also got a UE Boom speaker and to be honest this seems to be streaming a lot better than the jaybirds in terms of range.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
A Little Disappointed

Sad to say, this Texas walker had to return them. I had them about a week, and no combination of ear tips & clips could make them stay in my ears after about 1.5 miles on a 3-mile walk. As well, in the week I had them, I had to charge them *3* times. A 3-mile walk is 50 minutes for me, so I was getting far less than the promised 8-hour battery life (and I only ever used them for listening to music, no talk-time involved). I also discovered that the "low battery" warning gives you about 30 minutes of battery life left, when they died on me in the middle of a walk.

Back to the drawing board for me.

airbelchris

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
i have em. i have an issue where they are skiping a few seconds of a song with my iphone6 but never had an issue on iphone 5. they replaced my last pair when they stopped charging

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
i have em. i have an issue where they are skiping a few seconds of a song with my iphone6 but never had an issue on iphone 5. they replaced my last pair when they stopped charging

So I used mine on my iPhone 6 today for the first time today without issue. Still could be your iPhone or iOS causing the problem. Maybe it's a bluetooth bug. Do you have another iPhone you could test it on, or a friend that has one?

airbelchris

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
So I used mine on my iPhone 6 today for the first time today without issue. Still could be your iPhone or iOS causing the problem. Maybe it's a bluetooth bug. Do you have another iPhone you could test it on, or a friend that has one?

yeah my iphone 5 works fine still. 6 is wierd doesnt always work well

airbelchris

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
call me nuts. but it is actually my pebble watch causing the problems.

i turn it off no problems whatsoever.

1melahat

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
Hey everybody, I created this account just so I could vent about my unpleasant experience with the jaybird bluebuds x. I purchased them at Fry's electronics for $170+tax. I used them out of the box for around 4 hours around the house before the battery drained so I plugged them in to my computer's USB and the red light came on indicating they were charging. After some time the red light turned green so I unplugged them and they simply would not turn on no matter how long or how many times I held down the center button. I plugged them back in to the USB and the green light indicated they were fully charged but they wouldn't turn on! Unfortunately I threw away the packaging and receipt the day I bought them so that was a big mistake. I own many Bluetooth headphones and have never had a defective unit so I didn't feel a need to archive the packaging and receipt. I work six days a week so about two months passed until I called Fry's and they said they would not exchange without the original packaging and a receipt and only up to 30 days from purchase so I emailed jaybird and explained how these brand new buds broke on the first use. Some guy named Adam Wineberg replied a couple days later and said since they would not turn on that they could not troubleshoot them and he suggested I take them back to Fry's. I sent another email to wineberg explaining how Fry's said no and asked why they couldn't just replace these obviously defective buds. He then replied " yea I didn't say we couldn't replace them. give me your name, email, address and phone number. We will only replace them once". That was the entirety of his reply. It felt very unprofessional like I was talking to some punk 16 year old. He never apologized for the inconvenience of me having to go to the post office on my lunch break and the cost of shipping or anything. A simple "I'm sorry to hear that, let me take care of you my dear customer or something" would have been nice. It's been four days and I'm still waiting for a return email with a authorization number. If you google "jaybird bluebuds x won't turn on" you will notice that this is a major defect of this product. I hope the replacements don't end up defective because they will not replace them a second time. I will never purchase anything from jaybird ever again and I have to warn others not to buy these as you may get screwed.

1melahat

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
Replacements are working great

Just wanted to do a follow up. The replacements they sent me are working fine. The battery lasts around 7-8 hours and with the Apt-x codec they sound great with my Samsung S4 which also uses Apt-x. These are the best sounding and loudest buds I have ever owned. I'm not going to take any chances by taking showers with them though like I do with my Plantronics backbeat to go.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

If that site reviewed them, I feel that the Plantronics Backbeat Fit would be on that list. My ears can't stand having IEMs in for more than 10 minutes, and aside from the PoS Jabra Sports, these are the only headphones that don't fit snug like IEMs but sound great and last a good 6-8 hours on a charge, while also being smaller than on ear headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.