Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 3 — A start-up company plans to announce new antenna technology on Monday that it says can expand the limits of a popular wireless Internet format, providing access to hundreds or even thousands of portable computer users at distances of more than 2,000 feet within buildings and about four miles outdoors.

click me once

click me twice

the company

Woah!

Attachments

• duhh.gif
    duhh.gif
    3 KB · Views: 454

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
"Meet the man delivering free wireless Internet access to Aspen, Colorado. Jim Selby has antennae broadcasting Internet access so that people in a 45-square-mile area with a computer and a $120 plug-in card can surf the Web over the air waves for free at speeds 30 times faster than with a standard modem. "

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/shownotes/story/0,23008,3401651,00.html

We kinda of have something like that in Colorado, but you have to buy the card. When I saw this episode I saw some guy using a PowerBook G4 and the wireless internet access. Oh, and the guy who does this (service), like, uses alot of PowerMacs.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I wonder if the antenna will have a pigtail that is compatible with Cisco and LinkSys routers. Probably and that will be a good thing. Antenna today cost nearly as much as the access points which has kept me from making a purchase. PIA I could really use a good outdoor antenna.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.