Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's release of a firmware update addressing keyboard and trackpad issues on Apple's new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, the company has released a separate firmware update for owners of the new 15-inch models. The 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro update addresses a separate issue related to performance of the discrete NVIDIA graphics included on higher-end models.

macbook_pro_15_efi_1_2.jpg
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, late 2013) models with NVIDIA graphics.

This update addresses an issue which, in rare cases, may limit the performance of the discrete graphics processor after a system wake or boot.
The firmware update, which is 5.22 MB in size, can be downloaded either directly from Apple's support site or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store for users on affected machines.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fix for NVIDIA Graphics Issue on New 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

Last edited:

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
I have a terrible time waking my 15" rMBP after disconnecting from a Thunderbolt display. Here's hoping this helps.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Maybe it'll fix the yellowish tint of some screens. :eek:

That's not something a software update is going to be able to fix I'm afraid. How bad/noticeable is it? If it's bad take it back and get a replacement if you can or push for a new screen.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Just did the update on my late 2013 15" rMBP and everything seems ok.

Using GFXcardstatus, and it is also working fine, doing the switching flawless.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 2.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 2.46.24 PM.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 428

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Likewise, working between clamshell mode and notebook mode is temperamental at best.

I've had this issue with all my mbp's. The machine falls into a deep sleep if the machine is sleeping andI unplug the display. The solution is to open the lid and then unplug it and THEN close it. Such a hassle.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Maybe it'll fix the yellowish tint of some screens. :eek:

That's not something a software update is going to be able to fix I'm afraid. How bad/noticeable is it? If it's bad take it back and get a replacement if you can or push for a new screen.

OK, I've been asking this question yet no one has replied...do we know if there are two brands of screens like last years? Samsung and LG and everyone wanted the Samsung screen???

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Oh no you guys, iOS X confirmed :C

It's been going on for a few years now. OSX slowly adopts things from iOS rather than the other way around.

iOS tech has been increased significantly while OSX gets almost nothing. Mac days are numbered and eventually it'll be like iPod line. Slow development and sales will eventually declining too.

nmreid

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Updated my 15". Restart was stuck on the grey Apple logo with a spinner. 30 mins on the phone with Apple Care, no restarts/resets would fix it.

Now attempting Mavericks reinstall...and hoping for no data loss!!!

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Updated my 15". Restart was stuck on the grey Apple logo with a spinner. 30 mins on the phone with Apple Care, no restarts/resets would fix it.

We had this with our first new 15" rMBP (we buy 2-3 13" a week but not many 15"). I tried everything including rebuild from another Mac's recovery partition over Thunderbolt cable, since the defective Mac's own recovery partition wouldn't get past Apple logo either. Nothing worked. Only Single User mode. I think it was a retina issue. It's been sent back for repair. Hopefully the firmware update will stop this breakage in future.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Likewise, working between clamshell mode and notebook mode is temperamental at best.

Post-update seems to actually be worse for me. I just connected back up to my display in clamshell and my rMBP rebooted. Sending the report to Apple in the hopes they get it right next time...

cooloregon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Funny the I don't have a NVIDIA card so why does my app store shows this as a update for me? 15" w/ Iris Pro chip.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Using GFXcardstatus, and it is also working fine, doing the switching flawless.

Cheers for this. Took delivery of my new 15" the other day and hadn't got around to investigating such utilities.

My last mbp was a late 08 15" which was a pain to switch gpu's on so I invariably used it's igpu. This is a big improvement to say the least. I'll use it in dynamic switching 90% of the time, but it's nice to have the option.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
OK, I've been asking this question yet no one has replied...do we know if there are two brands of screens like last years? Samsung and LG and everyone wanted the Samsung screen???

Pretty much.

SaulOfTheJungle

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Canada
I know this isn't Apple Tech Support, but I'm seeing flickering in some random sections of my 2013 13" rMBP screen.

I'm just wondering, should I return it and get another one or is this fixable by a patch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.