Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
In another thread someone asked me if it would be better to get one maxed out unit or 2-4 units with one being the host and the other being slaves on a grid or cluster model.

Based on this data I feel multiple lower end units with "adequate" memory and "minimal graphics", unless you have an application that drinks graphics and Open CL. Apple memory and SSD prices seem reasonable.

But the takeaway is configure one unit for userland apps, and one for slave use with minimal pricing, but maximal contributory compute benefit with IP over TB2.

I think the future is multi-MacPro installs. Thank goodness for 6.6 x 9" dimensions.

Rocketman

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I will pass until retina Thunderbolt 2 Display (which probably have to be dual-input display as neither TB 2 nor its DisplayPort 1.2 can support retina 27" (5120x2880) and Apple-flavored Thunderbolt 2 DAS arrive (which probably is a wishful thinking).

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I mostly want to know if I can get the 12 core without the D700s.
I'll live with minimal ram while I am paying down the purchase.
Also while prices for bleeding edge ram come down!
It'd be nice to know how upgradeable or not the flash drive is. I might wait a month or so to see if OWC has a more cost effective path to get 1TB of flash storage.

Username: Steve

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
So will these upgrade prices be the same in the UK (i.e. $600 = £600) or will they translate correctly (i.e. $600= £368)?

Seems to be 35% markup over the exchange rate between USD and GBP (Based on 6-core £3299 model).

So the $6199 model mentioned in the post as an example would be more like £5134.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
$400 to bump to 32GB of Apple RAM doesn't sound so bad -vs- spending $400 on 3rd-party RAM and tossing the OEM RAM in the junk drawer.
--

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Thats one expensive bit of kit

Make sure you choose wisely :) because it would hurt your wallet more than it does you.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Wow, they are expensive. But then again, these are standard workstation parts that is always meant for 24/7 operations. I always hear people who say that their i7 processors and GTX 780s can destroy a Mac Pro for 1/4 the price. True story is, while I and most other people would not need this level of reliability, to those who need a reliable computer that cannot afford any errors and mistakes, these parts are well worth the extra 3/4 cost over an i7.

mrongey

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
I priced out buying the processor, graphics, RAM, and storage from the base model separately and came up with roughly $2600. Even if those specs are for the $4,000 configuration, that's not a bad markup, considering everything else that goes into it.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
If these prices are accurate, its less than i expected. The D700's are not as crazy as the mac Quadro options in the past.

I can put together a decent machine for 6500, I thought it was gonna be more like 8.

Wish there was 768 GB SSD option.

An i7 or E3 won't cut it. I need more than 4 cores, more than 6 even, and more than 32 GB of ram.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
$300 for +256GB SSD for the Mac Pro

$100 for +16GB Flash for iPhone/iPad/iPod

Last edited:

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Pleasantly surprised if the price of those d700s Is accurate.

I'm going 8 core a terabyte of flash and the d700s

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
:eek: Wow, expected it to be less.

Really? This is classic Apple pricing for their workstation products. These are more costly components than any other mac components. The RAM for instance is faster and ECC-checked (server class), so it's going to cost more than your consumer grade RAM, and looking at current prices for the previous generation Mac Pro, it actually looks like Apple isn't gouging too much this time. Graphics upgrade also seems reasonable, as does the PCI-e storage as it is high end storage. The real hit comes from the processor upgrade considering you can find E5 12-core processors running at 2.7 GHz at retail for less than $3000, and that is the INCREASED cost from the base unit.

In the end, you gotta be willing to fork out some serious cash if you are looking to buy one of these, but that has pretty much always been the case for Apple's pro machines.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
I just want a computer that's faster than a Mac Mini and which has a video card that I can upgrade myself when faster ones come out. I don't need a $3K powerhouse.

Also I don't want an iMac since I don't want to re-buy a monitor whenever I upgrade my computer.

Apparently I'm alone in this, since Apple offers no such computer.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I priced out buying the processor, graphics, RAM, and storage from the base model separately and came up with roughly $2600. Even if those specs are for the $4,000 configuration, that's not a bad markup, considering everything else that goes into it.

I think most of the people who are complaining about the price don't really have a grasp on what the actual components are that go into these bad boys. I had a friend show me how he could build a comparable machine for much less and he chose an i7 processor and standard RAM modules, etc.

I haven't heard many true pros balk at the price, because they understand what is in this and the differences between workstation quality components and standard desktop parts.

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
They wouldn't have really sold at at that price. Also bear in mind you're already paying to get to the D500. That price is to go from D500s --> D700s. I suspect this is predominantly branding.
True, but keep in mind that two FirePro W9000s (which seem to be the equivalent to Apple's D700) already cost a lot more than a 6-core Mac Pro + the D700 upgrade.

Workstation-class hardware is much more expensive than consumer hardware. And yes: It's overpriced. From every vendor.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I think most of the people who are complaining about the price don't really have a grasp on what the actual components are that go into these bad boys. I had a friend show me how he could build a comparable machine for much less and he chose an i7 processor and standard RAM modules, etc.

I haven't heard many true pros balk at the price, because they understand what is in this and the differences between workstation quality components and standard desktop parts.

Did the Mac Pro get more expensive in any meaningful measure? The entry level is $500 more, but it's more computer in most dimensions.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
In the end, you gotta be willing to fork out some serious cash if you are looking to buy one of these, but that has pretty much always been the case for Apple's pro machines.

And also bear in mind these are business expenses, so we deduct the cost from our tax bill for the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.