Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Because it needs to be injected again any time the dock is quit and relaunched.

You can just make an app using Automator that runs the applescript and add it to the startup items if you want to keep the 2D.

The background made using geektool is just a rectangular window with transparency behind the dock so it can be any size, color and transparency. You can also use pictures so it could be any shape you want as we'll assuming you make/find the background image of the shape you want.

Thank you for the info. I really do appreciate it!

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Because it needs to be injected again any time the dock is quit and relaunched.

You can just make an app using Automator that runs the applescript and add it to the startup items if you want to keep the 2D.

The background made using geektool is just a rectangular window with transparency behind the dock so it can be any size, color and transparency. You can also use pictures so it could be any shape you want as we'll assuming you make/find the background image of the shape you want.

You wouldn't by any chance know the script to make the 2D run on start up, would you?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
You wouldn't by any chance know the script to make the 2D run on start up, would you?

Just the InjectIntoDock Applescript in an Application.

Here's the App: Link
Here's where you add it:
uc

This is the entire code of the app:
Code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Dock" to inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard

return input
end run

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Just the InjectIntoDock Applescript in an Application.

Here's the App: Link
Here's where you add it:

This is the entire code of the app:
Code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Dock" to inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard

return input
end run

Beautiful my friend, just beautiful! It works perfectly. You have been extremely helpful!

Question. Doing all of this won't compromise the stability of my machine right?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Beautiful my friend, just beautiful! It works perfectly. You have been extremely helpful!

Question. Doing all of this won't compromise the stability of my machine right?

No it shouldn't, but in the off chance that it does (worse case scenario would probably be the dock randomly crashing) all you'd have to do is remove the app from your launch options.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
No it shouldn't, but in the off chance that it does (worse case scenario would probably be the dock randomly crashing) all you'd have to do is remove the app from your launch options.

The only thing that I've noticed is my finder takes a second or two longer to respond after a first boot. I have a PCIe SSD, that's why I find it a little strange.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Here's an installer for blackdock + simbl I've made. If it doesn't work please let me know.

Download -

Home -

Last edited:

TheAngryPenguin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
For fun I made an installer/uninstaller for SIMBL+BlackDock.

Download - [url=http://www.artisteer.com/Images/icon_download.png]Image[/URL]
View Contents - [url=http://www.sequelpro.com/assets/images/requirements.png]Image[/URL]

It installs SIMBL(which requires password) and BlackDock as well as a LaunchAgent so the BlackDock gets applied at launch.

Here's pretty much all the code:

Installer
Code:
#!/bin/bash

sudo installer -pkg ./SIMBL-0.9.9.pkg -target /
mkdir ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/BlackDock
cp -r ./BlackDock.bundle /Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins/BlackDock.bundle
cp ./plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.w0lf.BlackDock.plist
cp ./2d ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/BlackDock/2d.sh
FIX=`more ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.w0lf.BlackDock.plist`
FIX=${FIX/"(username_here)"/`whoami`}
echo "$FIX" > ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.w0lf.BlackDock.plist
launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.w0lf.BlackDock.plist
launchctl start com.w0lf.BlackDock
afplay -v 1 -q 1 /System/Library/Sounds/Ping.aiff

Uninstaller
Code:
#!/bin/bash

launchctl unload com.w0lf.BlackDock
rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/BlackDock
rm -r /Library/Application\ Support/SIMBL/Plugins/BlackDock.bundle
rm ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.w0lf.BlackDock.plist
sudo ./SIMBL\ Uninstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/SIMBL\ Uninstaller &
osascript -e  'tell application "Finder" to set visible of process "SIMBL Uninstaller" to false'
sleep 2
sudo killall SIMBL\ Uninstaller
killall Dock
afplay -v 1 -q 1 /System/Library/Sounds/Ping.aiff

Launch Script
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for i in {1..10}
do
	osascript -e  'tell application "Dock" to inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard'
	sleep 6
done

Launch Agent
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.w0lf.BlackDock</string>
   <key>Program</key>
   <string>/Users/(username_here)/Library/Application Scripts/BlackDock/2d.sh</string>
   <key>RunAtLoad</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
</plist>
Running the installer doesn't seem to have any impact whatsoever. I hear ping.aiff, and my Dock seems to respawn, but it definitely doesn't look any different than stock. I have tried killall Dock, and rebooting, but either way, there's no perceptible change. Any ideas?

((( UPDATE )))

Well, I got it working manually. Thanks!

mavericks-black-dock-round-indicators.png

Last edited:

inkc

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Edit the 2D dock

This works fine for me. Where do I find the images of the 2D dock? I want to edit them something like 100% black without white (grey) border and no shadow. Is it possible? : )

inkc

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Fantastic!

Thanx! Close to perfect.

I want mine 100% black with no border. I have no knowledge about Xcode whatsoever but I will fire it up and see if I can find out. Maybe you can just write a short guide how to do it?

: ) !!

d00rknocker

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
I don't have any knowledge with xcode too. Don't be lazy, you don't need to know anything more than english.

I've just replaced "layer.borderWidth = 2.0;" to "layer.borderWidth = 0.0;"

Here

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Tinkertool is free and used to do the job. Apparently, switching to a 2D dock at the bottom of the screen is no longer supported in Mavericks.
It used to work on SL, though...

Mac.The.Flipper

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
Looking for a solution!!! HELP!!!

For fun I made an installer/uninstaller for SIMBL+BlackDock.

It installs SIMBL(which requires password) and BlackDock as well as a LaunchAgent so the BlackDock gets applied at launch.

Here's pretty much all the code:

Launch Script
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for i in {1..10}
do
	[B]osascript -e  'tell application "Dock" to inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard'[/B]
	sleep 6
done

Launch Agent
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.w0lf.BlackDock</string>
   <key>Program</key>
   <string>/Users/(username_here)/Library/Application Scripts/BlackDock/2d.sh</string>
   <key>RunAtLoad</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

This installer/uninstaller is definitely not working on my MacBook Pro and Mavericks 10.9.1!

The installer does nothing except playing a sound. I am not experienced in coding but I'm pretty sure that the line osascript -e 'tell application "Dock" to inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard' is nonsense. Why "Snow Leopard"??? Also the 2D Dock script provided in an earlier post does not work at all: Testing the script in AppleScript editor just gives me an error.

To cut a long story short: I have manually installed EasySIMBL and BlackDock plugin. I can successfully start the 2D dock by activating "Use SIMBL" in EasySIMBL. But every time I reboot - the 2D dock is gone. I am desperately looking for a solution to automatically inject the 2D dock on startup...

Any help is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

inkc

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
100% Black 2D Maverick-Dock coming closer and closer

I don't have any knowledge with xcode too. Don't be lazy, you don't need to know anything more than english.

I've just replaced "layer.borderWidth = 2.0;" to "layer.borderWidth = 0.0;"

Here

Thanx again for the help. I have tried fixing this myself but without success. My 2d maverick dock work perfect and load every time I start / restart my computer.

But it´s transparent black and I would love a 100% solid black dock. I can find out to edit the source file and with some trial and error I could maybe success with getting the code right ???? but honestly, I have no clue. ????

{
CALayer *layer = [super layer];
layer.cornerRadius = 6.0;
CGColorRef color = CGColorCreateGenericGray(0.0, 1.0);
layer.backgroundColor = color;
CGColorRelease(color);
color = CGColorCreateGenericGray(1.0, 1.0);
layer.borderColor = color;
CGColorRelease(color);
layer.borderWidth = 0.0;

return layer;
}

Even If I would success with getting the code right, next problem is how to make a bundle of it, like the ones you have posted. So... Please, you have to help me just over the finish line.

I am using 100% "black maverick MENUBAR", which I can´t live without. A 100% "black maverick DOCK" would shine together with my obsidian Menubar. http://www.obsidianmenubar.com

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
Tinkertool is free and used to do the job. Apparently, switching to a 2D dock at the bottom of the screen is no longer supported in Mavericks.
It used to work on SL, though...

have you tried itweax it free and can get from macupdate.com
it has a show dock in 2d in tweak section

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Excuse my ignorance but why can't someone with knowledge of OS X just force the side 2D dock to be used at the bottom? This question was asked earlier in this thread but no one really replied to it.

Mac.The.Flipper

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
2D dock (Mavericks) on startup...

Thanx again for the help. I have tried fixing this myself but without success. My 2d maverick dock work perfect and load every time I start / restart my computer.

Hello inkc! - Please be so kind and explain how you managed to get it working on every start/restart! I have manually installed EasySIMBL and BlackDock plugin. I can successfully start the 2D dock by activating "Use SIMBL" in EasySIMBL. But every time I reboot - the 2D dock is gone. Any help is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
This installer/uninstaller is definitely not working on my MacBook Pro and Mavericks 10.9.1!

The installer does nothing except playing a sound. I am not experienced in coding but I'm pretty sure that the line osascript -e 'tell application "Dock" to inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard' is nonsense. Why "Snow Leopard"??? Also the 2D Dock script provided in an earlier post does not work at all: Testing the script in AppleScript editor just gives me an error.

To cut a long story short: I have manually installed EasySIMBL and BlackDock plugin. I can successfully start the 2D dock by activating "Use SIMBL" in EasySIMBL. But every time I reboot - the 2D dock is gone. I am desperately looking for a solution to automatically inject the 2D dock on startup...

Any help is highly appreciated!

Edit: still broken

Also while I too don't quite understand why inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard works it's the exact applescript provided by the creator of the BlackDock plugin.

Last edited:

inkc

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Hello inkc! - Please be so kind and explain how you managed to get it working on every start/restart! I have manually installed EasySIMBL and BlackDock plugin. I can successfully start the 2D dock by activating "Use SIMBL" in EasySIMBL. But every time I reboot - the 2D dock is gone. Any help is highly appreciated!

You should test the installer from "w0lf" now... maybe it will fix your problem.

I have not used the installer. I manually put the files where they belong. The INJECT DOCK.app among the "Login Items" (system preferences). The BlackDock.bundle in both "Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/" and "User/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/" (probably not necessary with both, but it don´t hurt... i think).

Thats it.

----------

Sorry for taking so long to get back. The script had assumed that ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/ was a default folder. It isn't so that broke the whole thing.

Should be fixed now.

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-bdzenAXbO5RHpyZ2wxZ3VkcVk

Also while I too don't quite understand why inject SIMBL into Snow Leopard works it's the exact applescript provided by the creator of the BlackDock plugin.

w0lf, can you help me with the transparency of my dock?? I can't figure out to do it 100% black with no borders. I have got help from "d00rknocker" with removing the borders.

: )

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
w0lf, can you help me with the transparency of my dock?? I can't figure out to do it 100% black with no borders. I have got help from "d00rknocker" with removing the borders.

: )

I'm actually not entirely sure what d00rknocker has done but here's a thread with some good info for setting up a black dock on mavericks: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1665442/

Read down to some of the comments between gamegurunaga and I. Possibly gamegurunaga could help you if he's still using these forums because he was able to get a pretty sexy looking all black theme going.

2lbf792.jpg

Mac.The.Flipper

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
This is not working with Mavericks 10.9.1

Sorry for taking so long to get back. The script had assumed that ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/ was a default folder. It isn't so that broke the whole thing.

Should be fixed now.

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-bdzenAXbO5RHpyZ2wxZ3VkcVk

I don't want to be offensive but I doubt that you have 10.9.1 installed. Have you ever tested your Installer or the 2D Dock script in Mavericks??

This is the result when running the 2D Dock app in Mavericks OS 10.9.1:

The action "Run AppleScript" encountered an error.
Check the action's properties and try runnig the workflow again.

Opening and testing the script in Apple Script Editor shows the following:

Syntax Error
Expected end of line, etc. but found parameter name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.