Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allamb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
For some reason MS Word has decided to start up when i turn my mac on!!! i have searched for the start up folder but find nothing with the apps that start up automatically.

Can anyone suggest anything PLEASE:confused:

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
There is a folder inside the hard drives library called "startupitems". Or it could be a setting within Words preferences. Also look around in your System Preferences. I dont remember where but I believe the startup settings are located somewhere in there. Im at work now and dont have admin priv's so I cant poke around.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
freeny said:
There is a folder inside the hard drives library called "startupitems". Or it could be a setting within Words preferences. Also look around in your System Preferences. I dont remember where but I believe the startup settings are located somewhere in there. Im at work now and dont have admin priv's so I cant poke around.

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items :)

Apple2E1971

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
MS word opening up at start uo onmy mac

I have gone to system preferences ---> Account & Groups------> loggin items, and there is nothing there. Word is still opening and no one seems to know how to stop this.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have gone to system preferences ---> Account & Groups------> loggin items, and there is nothing there. Word is still opening and no one seems to know how to stop this.

Right click the icon in your dock. Does it have a check next to open at login? If so, just uncheck it. If not, hmm..

JewelChick

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Having the same issue

Word and Excel auto-open when I start up each morning.

There is no checkmark next to "Options > Open at Login" for either program.

There is a checkmark next to "System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an application (when selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application)."

There is no other option under "System Preferences > General" related to applications or windows. Similarly, there is no related option appearing under ""System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options."

I went to "Finder > Applications > Microsoft Options 2011 > Office > Startup" and found three files in the folder -- for Word, Excel and PowerPoint (which is not auto-opening at startup). I removed those files, and Word and Excel are still auto-opening at startup.

These are all the suggestions I've seen online, and none has made a difference.

MconorK

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
Word and Excel auto-open when I start up each morning.

There is no checkmark next to "Options > Open at Login" for either program.

There is a checkmark next to "System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an application (when selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application)."

There is no other option under "System Preferences > General" related to applications or windows. Similarly, there is no related option appearing under ""System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options."

I went to "Finder > Applications > Microsoft Options 2011 > Office > Startup" and found three files in the folder -- for Word, Excel and PowerPoint (which is not auto-opening at startup). I removed those files, and Word and Excel are still auto-opening at startup.

These are all the suggestions I've seen online, and none has made a difference.

Having the exact same problem. Please share if you have found a solution.

lnixon

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Stop Word from opening on startup

once Word has opened click 'Word-->preferences-->general
This is where you can change the setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.