Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Replacing the 11" Macbook Air with a large iPad? Nope. Makes zero sense.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Apple is also said to be examining the possibility of replacing the 11-inch MacBook Air with the larger iPad.

LOL? The MacBook Air is the best selling Mac model - probably by a long way these days. A larger iPad is conceivable, but there's no way they'd drop the MBA from the line up.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Would love to hear some reasons why they would make a larger screen iPad.

My guesses are to work towards integrating iOS and os x, to offer more variety, and to produce large screen devices that can be used by multiple users at a time. Maybe they even want to keep getting bigger and bigger and produce all sizes of touch screen devices?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Maybe they should just use the space on the current iPad better by like say having the ability to see more than 9 icons per folder at a time lol

----------

My guesses are to work towards integrating iOS and os x, to offer more variety, and to produce large screen devices that can be used by multiple users at a time. Maybe they even want to keep getting bigger and bigger and produce all sizes of touch screen devices?

They likely know that most people with iPads use them at home, and so they may as well come to market with a larger one before their competition does so they don't have to play catch up like in the phone market

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Im happy with the current size of the iphone 5S. But i'd be lying if I said I wasnt really excited to see what an iphone with a bigger (wider) screen will look like. Bring it on.

It'll look like an iPhone but bigger and wider.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Why you poor chap? Do you have bad eyesight? Or Giant pockets?

Large phones are for girls with handbags or men with Size 'issues'

Oh really.. what size issues exactly is that? My eyesight is quite fine and I need to cringe everytime I try to read something on my iPhone. Too damn small and it causes eyestrain for prolonged use.

Can't see any reason why would I need giant pocket or handbag for a larger phone. Even my friends' SGS3 or HTC One fits most pocket just fine. So maybe it's you who have "size" issue? :rolleyes:

hestroy

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
???

And the huge tablet is good for… ? I don't get it.

Aaaah, I get it now. For people with really huge hands...

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
It's easy to guess. I wonder why all these publications never bother to acknowledge they are wrong when their guesses are wrong.

----------

Why wait if the larger screen is so important to you ?

Because I'm under contract and locked into the ecosystem.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
More uneducated guesses from reliable sources, yay!

It's the Nostradamus effect. Make enough predictions and some are bound to come true. They've only been claiming a larger iPad is coming since shortly after the original one was released in April of 2010.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

My guesses are to work towards integrating iOS and os x …

You're a little late with that prediction. That was all the rage here about 2 years ago.

If they really are working on a larger screen iPad, I'm thinking the reason is to give the iPad a larger screen.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
You're a little late with that prediction… that was all the rage here about 2 years ago.

If they really are working on a larger screen iPad, I'm thinking the reason is to give the iPad a larger screen.

Fair enough. Thought there might be more behind it.

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
Don't know about Jobs, but I wouldn't allow this.

I'd take the reports with a grain of salt. I remember reports also saying that Apple will use ARM processors for future notebooks. I'm pretty sure that they won't force an integration, especially after Cook's quote in the October event about windows 8 PCs/tablets.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I'd take the reports with a grain of salt. I remember reports also saying that Apple will use ARM processors for future notebooks. I'm pretty sure that they won't force an integration, especially after Cook's quote in the October event about windows 8 PCs/tablets.

I wish Macrumors would offer a bit of editorial comment when posting items like this. Pretty sure they used to. Posting of weird rumours with no comment doesn't do much for their credibility.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
12.9" iPad would be good if Apple adds active digitiser support.
If they don't, I don't really see the point.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
New iPhone in May is ridiculous, at least let people have the 5S for a year before it becomes "out of date".

Not this again!!! :eek:

People always think when a new phone is released, their current one somehow stops functioning. Relax guys, it's just a phone.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I didn't even read the article, and just (visually) scanned for Digitimes. Didn't bother to read the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.