Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
ARM chips started life as powerful desktop-class chips, outperforming the x86 on the day. The computing power per watt remains phenomenal, which is why the design dominate mobile.

In recent years ARM have been making server-class designs and, if there was a customer, could create design suitable for MacBooks, iMacs etc, and still delver significant heat/battery savings.

Since the release of Haswell, I'd put x86 about on par with ARM on the power per watt front. If someone were to release an ARM chip equal to an i7 in performance, and have both run some random high end, CPU intensive program, both would probably drain the battery in about the same amount of time.

jordans0nly

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Upstate SC
Working at a Samsung call center for Laptops/Tablets doing Remote Service, I'm around android all day. I do love iPhones, but got rid of my 5 due to just tired of having a smaller screen. I still have my Macbook Pro, and very happy with it. But with that said, I would say, 9 times out of 10, from the guys/gals I work with say that "Sure, a bigger iPhone would be nice, but it would STILL have the same tired OS on it." I see what they're saying.

But, would be nice for a few tweaks here and there when they do introduce new models. There are things I love about both OS's and hate about both as well.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Lol, prove your wild opinion wrong??
I don't think you understand how opinions work, sir.

The only thing "wrong" with your opinion is that you haughtily present it falsely, arrogantly, and combatively as fact.

You said I was wrong. If you believe what I said was opinion then you would know opinion is neither right or wrong. it's just how someone feels about a subject. But I didn't state my opinion there. I stated fact, hence you are free to prove the statements I said wrong. Zero opinion was given there by me in what I said.

If you believe what I said was opinion and not fact, feel free to prove where what I said was incorrect or had any feelings or personal bias behind it. I don't see any but maybe you do.

----------

You have a faulty premise here, the number of SKU's in the 90's didn't kill Apple, it was rather the product line not fitting the market at the time that was the problem. At this time Apple only has two tablet models, it isn't hard to see beyond that and frankly three or four models won't confuse shoppers on bit.

SKUs only become excessive when they don't have clear distinctions between each product.

It was both what you said and what I said plus other factors that was the culprit in the 90's. Just adding more SKU's now for the sake of simply a larger product line is a very bad idea. As you said each product released needs a clear market and purpose. And we disagree about the 3-4 tablets from Apple. I'd rather see a very few products done very well rather then more done average. Apple is not beyond having a quality slip. No one is perfect.

Well those are my opinions based on thew facts from the 90's.

----------

It's a completely different situation than the multi-SKU confusion that was the 90's. With the iPad, you have three very well defined choices. Little, Medium, Big. The Big version will likely be a good bit more expensive, and have more options (I'm hoping for a stylus digitizer, myself). It's not exactly a confusing setup for customers.

This is opposed to the 90's, when Apple, like Dell and HP now, had about 15 different laptops and desktops, and each one of those consisted of 50 very slightly different variations of the same product. That's never a good thing to do. Even I, when I know almost exactly what I want, have trouble shopping for computers through the Dell website. I couldn't imagine what it's like for someone coming in only wanting a "computer".

So no, a new size of iPad and iPhone won't lead to any customer confusion. The choices between the three would be clear and precise.

Why do we need a 3rd iPad size? A good bit more expensive is entering MBA and possibly MBP territory. Also the weight and less portability would outweigh the options an even larger screen would give. Plus there is the screen resolution size. if you keep the same resolution as the Air you'd have less PPI. And that might be on the low end of retina. If you upped the resolution the it'd have to be scaled proportionally or dev issues would arise.

I personally see more cons than pros for a giant iPad. But Apple can spend it's billions however it wants. I will still point when I think Apple has a bad idea. Sure it's only my opinion, but it's worth just as much as everyone else on this forum. Only Apple employees writing with their Apple hat on has a more worthy opinion and since Apple employees are not allowed to do this, we can say everyone here has an equal opinion.

And my opinion is a giant iPad is a bad idea.

----------

Because choice is always a bad thing :rolleyes:

They have the cash to do it. Who cares? You'll still buy it.
I care. I don't Apple pissing away their billions with bad ideas. I'd prefer Apple stay as profitable as they are now or be even more profitable (with the same excellent products and post purchase support they have now).

And many others would care too.
Also I will not buy it. Others might but if I do not like a product I vote with my wallet. One person vs millions of purchasers means nothing but it makes me feel food I have the power and not the company.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Why do we need a 3rd iPad size? A good bit more expensive is entering MBA and possibly MBP territory. Also the weight and less portability would outweigh the options an even larger screen would give. Plus there is the screen resolution size. if you keep the same resolution as the Air you'd have less PPI. And that might be on the low end of retina. If you upped the resolution the it'd have to be scaled proportionally or dev issues would arise.

I personally see more cons than pros for a giant iPad. But Apple can spend it's billions however it wants. I will still point when I think Apple has a bad idea. Sure it's only my opinion, but it's worth just as much as everyone else on this forum. Only Apple employees writing with their Apple hat on has a more worthy opinion and since Apple employees are not allowed to do this, we can say everyone here has an equal opinion.

And my opinion is a giant iPad is a bad idea.

----------

I tend to agree with you that a larger iPad is a bad idea. its just my opinion though.

Why i think Apple MIGHT be considering it is that the existing tablet market's growth has started to show signs of slowing. The 10" tablet is pretty saturated and Apple, while still the dominant leader in it isn't seeing their market share increase anymore there.

They then went after the 8" market and did fairly well. But it wasn't a new market by the time apple got in. it was already established by lots of 7 and 8" tablets that had been out for years. They did well with the mini, but I dont think it was the "take over the market" product they hoped it would be.

Nobody is doing 12" or larger tablets. nobody!. this is a brand new, untapped never sold to market. IF it works, Apple could get themselves a headstart on it, like they did for the 10" market and solidify themselves a very solid user base before anyone else really jumps in.

Exploring new markets have been where Apple tends to make their biggest headway. This is what they're looking for. The product in a market that has no competition yet.

I dont think a 12" tablet is really that. I think you start getting into comfort problems at that point where a laptop starts making more sense, even if it's just for the comfort of using it!

Wiijeff

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
England
Because I love Apple products. I have an iPhone 5s, iPad air, iMac and a mac mini. I love the Apple ecosystem. But I really do think it's about time they release an iPhone with a larger screen.

Ideally I don't want to have to use Android just to get a larger screen. I want to use iOS on say a 4.5" screen.

I have everything Apple. I'm fed up waiting for Apple to produce a new iPhone rather than the same phone over and over again. I finally nearly surrendered to a Samsung Note 3 in desperation but managed to stop myself at the point of signing to give Apple one last chance. If I swap to Android and google, I know I will abandon Apple altogether in order for my phone to sync properly with my devices. Apple had better produce a screen I can actually see and use of the same size as the Samsung Note 3 and quick!

----------

At last some discussion about a sensible iPad size for use in the home instead of having to have a keyboard attached.
I've always thought the iPad is too small.
Yes my iPad mini is great for portability but the 9.7 inch iPad isn't big enough for home use.
I love myMacbook Airs but I don't always need the keyboard unless I'm using it on a table.
Can't wait. Save me a 13 inch iPad please or a MacBook Air with tactile screen and separate and detachable Bluetooth keyboard. Microsoft can do it, so why can't Apple.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Exploring new markets have been where Apple tends to make their biggest headway. This is what they're looking for. The product in a market that has no competition yet.

I dont think a 12" tablet is really that. I think you start getting into comfort problems at that point where a laptop starts making more sense, even if it's just for the comfort of using it!

By the time apple comes out with this "rumoured" tablet, Samsung would have already be in the market for a few months (if not more)..with the 12 inch tablet being launched in late Feb.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
I still think this 12.9" device IS the new MacBook Air!
In the history of this site in particular and Apple rumor speculation in general, the simplest explanation makes sense: this is the screen for a retina MacBook Air.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
It's easy to guess. I wonder why all these publications never bother to acknowledge they are wrong when their guesses are wrong.

----------

Why wait if the larger screen is so important to you ?

I decided not to wait and switched to a Nexus 5 :)

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
9 times out of 10, from the guys/gals I work with say that "Sure, a bigger iPhone would be nice, but it would STILL have the same tired OS on it." I see what they're saying.

Unless you continually buy new Android phones you are always going to have the "same tired OS" because only some tiny fraction of Android phones over about a year old have the latest version, it's just not available unless you are a super geek or work for Samsung and get deals on them.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
9 times out of 10, from the guys/gals I work with say that "Sure, a bigger iPhone would be nice, but it would STILL have the same tired OS on it." I see what they're saying.

This assumes that a general shift to a bigger form factor would not be something that would drive ios8 and 9 developments...People who work full time on UI and UX do factor in screen sizes, and as such their ability to provide the sort of expereince changes with available real estate. I expect major changes with ios8 and 9 if larger screen sizes materialize.

IOS is still the fastest changing/upgraded OS if you look at the fact that its been 4 months, and the latest version of Kit Kat has only penetrated 1.8% of the android user base. In fact, Jelly bean (Previous version) and Kit Kat (current version) combined do not make 50% of android user base. More than 50% of the android customer base uses a version that is greater than 2 years old. The pace at which Kit Kat is going, it looks like ios8 would surpass it in terms of ios device acceptance within a few weeks after it is released in september.

http://www.zdnet.com/kitkat-claws-1-8-percent-android-market-share-7000026008/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...istribution-share-of-nearly-38-percent-389696

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Droid 2.x was a poor experience and I couldn't wait to ditch our families HTC evo phones that couldn't be upgraded any farther!

My 1.5 yr old Nexus7 can at least run droid 4.4 with its quad core tegra3 soc but even my older iPad3 feels more smooth running even on iOS7 comparatively.

Droid hardware is catching up but my better :apple: experiences keep me purchasing :apple: devices for the foreseeable future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.