Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

snappycam.png
Apple has acquired SnappyLabs, a one-man app maker behind the now-discontinued SnappyCam app. The app was removed from the App Store -- along with its website and social media presence -- just before the end of the year.

According to TechCrunch, which first reported the acquisition:
Sources have since affirmed that the company was acquired by Apple, and that there was also acquisition interest "from most of the usual players", meaning other tech giants. I don't have details on the terms of the deal, and I'm awaiting a response from Apple, which has not confirmed the acquisition.
Back in July, SnappyCam was upgraded with new technology, detailed in a now-deleted blog post (still viewable via Archive.org), that explains how developer John Papandriopoulos was able to redesign how JPG images are compressed, allowing the iPhone to shoot full-quality burst mode photographs at significant higher frames per second than other competing technologies, including the new burst mode built into iOS 7.

snappycamscreenshot.jpg
With the acquisition, it seems likely that Apple will integrate the SnappyCam technology into its native iOS and OS X camera programs and APIs. Apple added burst mode photo shooting to iOS 7, allowing iPhone 5s owners to shoot 10 photos per second at full resolution, in order to get the best shot in action scenes or with fast-moving children.

SnappyCam is no longer available for download from the App Store. Pricing and other details were not revealed, and Apple has not yet confirmed the acquisition.

Update: Apple has confirmed the acquisition to Kara Swisher at Re/code, the new home of the AllThingsD team.

Article Link: Apple Acquires SnappyLabs, Maker of SnappyCam Burst Photo App [Confirmed]

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm glad. Anything Apple wants to do to improve the camera functionality of the iPhone is okay with me! :)

DrManhattan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Makes sense. Don't buy bloated overpriced developers that really don't do anything.

Buy the small developers that are actually innovating and improving technology.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
[...] developer John Papandriopoulos was able to redesign how JPG images are compressed, allowing the iPhone to shoot full-quality burst mode photographs at significant higher frames per second than other competing technologies, including the new burst mode built into iOS 7.

It's developers like John Papandriopoulos that amaze me! Effectively an army of one, John redesigned how JPG images are compressed. Incredible! While the devs at Apple overlooked the possibility of more efficient JPG compression, John used his imagination and created something outstanding! You deserve the $millions you got for this John.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I made a post about this on Monday here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1689860/

I've since been able to try out the app and actually, while it's impressive the speed it can take photos.
The actual resulting photos are not very good quality , more like very high ISO photos with lots of noise.

When I compared a burst photo from apples camera app with the exact same scene with this app, this app produced far more noise.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
The UI of that app looks ****. But congrats to the developer.

Exactly. I guess it's more about the technology. I'm looking forward to whatever new feature Apple will use this for.

----------

It's developers like John Papandriopoulos that amaze me! Effectively an army of one, John redesigned how JPG images are compressed. Incredible! While the devs at Apple overlooked the possibility of more efficient JPG compression, John used his imagination and created something outstanding! You deserve the $millions you got for this John.

Yeah. This guy is great. Glad to see an acquisition of someone's innovative new JPG compression than a cheap app with zero new technology and success based on luck/trend like Instagram.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Well done John. It just goes to show - all you need is a good idea.. Be it a sole trader, have 100 or 1000 staff.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Perhaps the real reason that Apple acquired SnappyLabs was to put in it charge of Safari development. ;)

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone else find that the current burst mode sucks? All my photos come out ghosted or blurry.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
It's interesting that he went off and reimplemented JPEG. Someone I knew once said that most JPEG implementations suck, and apparently it's true.

If he could get that much speed on the same hardware, imagine how much faster everything else might turn out to be with a bit of hardcore optimization.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Makes sense. Don't buy bloated overpriced developers that really don't do anything.

Buy the small developers that are actually innovating and improving technology.

They should have snapped up Instagram for $1 billion.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Hats off to him, it's a great story.

I would image Apple have bought his company and hired him too ?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Pretty deceptive images there, those were obviously shot with a full frame DSLR with in the case of the dog, a long lens and large aperture, and in the case of the baby, studio lighting. No way in hell you will ever get images like that out of a phone camera.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Pretty deceptive images there, those were obviously shot with a full frame DSLR with in the case of the dog, a long lens and large aperture, and in the case of the baby, studio lighting. No way in hell you will ever get images like that out of a phone camera.

You read my mind, but at any rate, anything done to improve the iPhone's capabilities or PQ, is very welcome.

P&S cameras are all but irrelevant now.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I made a post about this on Monday here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1689860/

I've since been able to try out the app and actually, while it's impressive the speed it can take photos.
The actual resulting photos are not very good quality , more like very high ISO photos with lots of noise.

When I compared a burst photo from apples camera app with the exact same scene with this app, this app produced far more noise.

Be assured that Apple has done the same test at least once.
For some reason they still bought that company.
I guess it was a good reason.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That picture of the dog requires about a $1200 DSLR body, similarly priced lens, if not twice that, and a photog that knows how to take it.

This app does not make that pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.