Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I've been loading about 9 hours of foootage into final cut for this project. Last night final cut froze and I had to force quit. Today it wont open, I double click the app icon and the loading screen comes up but it quits before it opens the program. I erased and reinstalled but the problem is still occurring. all of the other apps in the studio still work such as soundtrack and livetype. I tried repairing permissions on the drive where final cut is installed. I really dont want to reformat and in reality I dont have time to do so due to the quick turn around this job requires. Can anyone help me?

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
well the .plist file hold all of your preferences for that programme. if you have deleted the programme by just dragging the app to the trash, i beleive that the .plist file will still remain and when you have reinstalled the programme, it is stil using the same preferences file (which could be the root of the problem).

if you are on tiger, in spotlight search for final cut.plist (or what ever the proper name of the app is, or something like that).

the file you wil want will be something like com.apple.final cut.plist just drag this to the trash, and delete. then the nest time you start up the programme, it will create a new .plis file!

i hope this works for you!

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
russed said:
well the .plist file hold all of your preferences for that programme. if you have deleted the programme by just dragging the app to the trash, i beleive that the .plist file will still remain and when you have reinstalled the programme, it is stil using the same preferences file (which could be the root of the problem).

if you are on tiger, in spotlight search for final cut.plist (or what ever the proper name of the app is, or something like that).

the file you wil want will be something like com.apple.final cut.plist just drag this to the trash, and delete. then the nest time you start up the programme, it will create a new .plis file!

i hope this works for you!

Ok i did a spotlight search and about 12 results came up. How do I know which one to erase?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 298

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
erm!!!

at the end of the day, deleting all of them would not be the end of the world, just the corresponding programmes will lose their preferences. this may cause an inconvenience in having to re set up programmes as you like them. i would say without seeing what they are called, try and take an educated guess on which one to delete first. maybe the one with the newest create/edit date

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
sorry i have just seen the attached screen grab. i dont know basically which one to delete. maybe do one at once and inbetween try reopening the programme!

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
russed said:
erm!!!

at the end of the day, deleting all of them would not be the end of the world, just the corresponding programmes will lose their preferences. this may cause an inconvenience in having to re set up programmes as you like them. i would say without seeing what they are called, try and take an educated guess on which one to delete first. maybe the one with the newest create/edit date

It still wont open. Thanx anyway.

Nice lemon jelly reference.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I had this problem once, only for some reason it was confined to one user (mine). Repairing permissions, deleting plist files and clearing the cache did nothing. Took a reinstall to fix it, but to be honest that's not too big of a deal. You won't lose any projects or anything; it just takes a little time to reinstall.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
mduser63 said:
I had this problem once, only for some reason it was confined to one user (mine). Repairing permissions, deleting plist files and clearing the cache did nothing. Took a reinstall to fix it, but to be honest that's not too big of a deal. You won't lose any projects or anything; it just takes a little time to reinstall.

I already reinstalled.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
some of my other apps are acting up now as well. My photoshop wont open any previos projects... what can be causing these application errors?

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
This is almost starting to sound like hard drive failure. Is your computer acting generally slow? Whats the S.M.A.R.T. status of your drive?

If I were you, I would start backing stuff up NOW.

Its more likely to be HD failure if you're on a laptop. Anything else weird about your computer (noises, etc)?

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
MacFan25863 said:
This is almost starting to sound like hard drive failure. Is your computer acting generally slow? Whats the S.M.A.R.T. status of your drive?

If I were you, I would start backing stuff up NOW.

Its more likely to be HD failure if you're on a laptop. Anything else weird about your computer (noises, etc)?

No i dont have any clicking noises or any abnormal noises usually associated with a bad HD. Im not on a laptop im using a dual 1 ghz g4 powermac. I carbon copied my hd last night to my 2nd HD because it seems more and more likely that a reformat is neccesary. I'd still like to avoid that if its at all possible. More importantly even if i do have to reformat i just wanna know why this happened so i can prevent it in the future.

RatVega

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
Southern California
Immediate action drill (in escalating order, for most FCP bomb-outs):

1. Restart FCP.

2. Restart the entire system.

3. Repair permissions.

4. Use MacJanitor to run the cron scripts.

5. Use Disk Warrior to verify/repair directories.

6. Trash FCP prefs (instructions on http://www.kwnstone.net) then get FCP Rescue if you don't have it.

7. Reinstall FCP.

If you already tried all the other suggestions in this post, you may as well go straight to Step 7 since everything is probably in bad disarray.

FCP is a very demanding app that does a huge amount of work "under the hood." Sometimes it breaks, and random attempts to do a quick fix can cause unpredictable results. The good news is that it seldom loses data.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.