Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, an Apple patent application highlighted Apple's interest in potentially using sapphire as a display glass cover on future iPhones, and according to a new report [Google Translate] from Taiwan's Apple Daily, the company's assembly partner Foxconn has begun trial production on just such a device with an initial run of 100 units.

sapphire_furnaces.jpg
Furnaces for sapphire glass production
The report notes that while it is a small number of devices, the production does mark a significant step in experimentation with the material on a broader scale for Apple. The report also claims that Apple's sapphire suppliers Synopsys and Bern Optics have made significant investments in cutting machines and other equipment recently, fueling speculation that Apple is ramping up its sapphire usage. MacRumors has also heard unconfirmed word that Apple has been working with Swiss company Meyer Burger Technologies to obtain new sapphire cutting machines. Sapphire is currently used to protect the cameras on recent iPhones and the Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 5s, but expanding its use to include display cover glass would necessitate a massive increase in sapphire production.

Last November, it was revealed that Apple had struck a deal with GT Advanced Technologies to build a sapphire production facility in Mesa, Arizona. That facility is not yet operational, however, with Apple still hiring its own staff and GT Advanced Technologies recruiting employees to perform the bulk of the work at the facility.

Sapphire has been seen as a potential successor to high-strength glass for display covers, although Corning claims that its Gorilla Glass 3 outperforms sapphire at lower cost. Apple has reportedly experimented with sapphire display covers at one point and found them infeasible, but improvements in the material and production technologies since that time may have convinced the company to revisit the possibility.

Article Link: iPhone with Sapphire Display Glass Reportedly in Trial Production

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Looks like we may see something in the 2016-2017 time frame. It seems pretty obvious this will not be a quick and easy implementation. I'm interested to see what's at the end of that road.

Tight schedule, but I think there is still time to have something for Fall 2014 produced here.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I love how sapphire is just aluminum rust in a special arrangement, and you can just grow crystals of it. It's not like gold where there is a limited amount and you have to dig it up.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Initial run of 100 units of what?

iWatch. you heard it here first.

if they done initial run in january, it could be in full production mid year and hopefully new apple product in the fall. crossing fingers.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
So theoretically, what's the benefit to a sapphire display cover? More shatter-resistant? I haven't ever thought about the display on my iPhone. I don't know that using a new material that doesn't change much will be a huge selling point.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
So theoretically, what's the benefit to a sapphire display cover? More shatter-resistant? I haven't ever thought about the display on my iPhone. I don't know that using a new material that doesn't change much will be a huge selling point.

Sapphire is second only to diamond in scratch resistance.

----------

Huh?

Oh, it's a joke. Oh yeah, maybe the button will be diamond. OMG hahahahah. And then the volume button will be ruby. And then the sleep button will be amethyst. hahahahaaaa.

I believe they were getting at the fact that diamond is the only thing more scratch resistant, and thus would start with the small home button, unfortunately diamond is too expensive thanks to sellers hoarding them in unbelievable quantities in vaults to keep the price high.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

OK. I've never scratched my display as it is, but perhaps I'm in the minority. The display looks as good today as it did when I opened it 2.5 years ago, and I use it all the time. I guess what I'm saying is, for me, it ain't broke, so fixing it doesn't do much for me. *shrug*

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
OK. I've never scratched my display as it is, but perhaps I'm in the minority. The display looks as good today as it did when I opened it 2.5 years ago, and I use it all the time. I guess what I'm saying is, for me, it ain't broke, so fixing it doesn't do much for me. *shrug*

But it may do it for a heck of a lot of other folks who are not as lucky as you and have scratched or broken their display before. It would pretty much make your screen protectors redundant..

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
As they are talking about using very thin films of sapphire it could be bonded to the surface of soft shatter resistant glass to make a display that is both shatter proof and scratch proof which is the holy grail for display glass. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008

Yes, Apple should make an exception and do a production run of ONE unit with the same screen as the current for you when they make the change :)

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

Indeed. I have a swanky Rado watch that has a sapphire glass cover and it's virtually indestructible. I can scrape its face against a brick wall and it still looks like new.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

I've managed to scratch every iPhone I've owned and I'm not rough on them at all. I've even received refurb iPhone replacements that had fine scratches on the glass. But if I take a look at my watch from 20 years that has sapphire glass and I've been significantly rougher on it that any of my iPhones, there's not a single scratch on it, fine or otherwise.

Here's hoping sapphire makes its way onto all of Apple's portable devices.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
For a premium device this is a welcome material. Nokia did it with its 8800 series and vertu as well and saphire will me probably thinner than gorilla glass

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
You know, it never made sense in the first place to construct glass out of gorillas. Constructing the glass out of sapphire seems like a notable improvement to me.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
iWatch. you heard it here first.

if they done initial run in january, it could be in full production mid year and hopefully new apple product in the fall. crossing fingers.

I agree. We've heard all kinds of rumors about sapphire being used for phones, home buttons, and camera lens covers. I believe that Apple may be testing it for those purposes, but that it has already been selected for the iWatch face.

It makes a ton of sense given the strength and scratch resistance required for something like a watch that will be beaten daily.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
If they can manage a sapphire display and finally waterproof the phone, they have the next generation in the bag. Bigger display, the best scratch resistance you can get, water resistance, and the obligatory hardware bumps would make for the best phone by a mile.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Tight schedule, but I think there is still time to have something for Fall 2014 produced here.

Possible yes, but unlikely. With the GT facility not yet operational and neither GT nor Apple being fully staffed...

Once they are fully operational you then have to consider the continued R&D for mass production at acceptable yields. That's not a small consideration. Yield is going to be key. Late 2014 early 2015 could probably yield enough to produce an iWatch but the scale of iPhone production is a massive undertaking. I don't think 11 months will be enough. I'm just spitballing but I just can't see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.