Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Monday report from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei claimed Nintendo is planning unveil an iOS app to market content for its Wii U and 3DS, with the app allegedly featuring information about new games from Nintendo and the mobile initiative potentially also including playable demos of console and handheld games. In a statement provided to Engadget today, however, Nintendo has denied it is planning to offer such minigames on smartphone platforms.

nintendo-logo.jpg
"Nikkei's article contains information previously stated by Mr Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo's willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products.

However during such past announcements Mr Iwata has also stated that Nintendo's intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer minigames on smartphone devices."
Nintendo is at a crossroads as mobile gaming makes gains on both the console and handheld market. The Japanese game maker reported its third consecutive annual loss and adjusted its forecast to reflect a 35 billion yen ($335.76 million) operating loss, instead of the previously projected profit of 100 billion yen. The company also slashed it sales forecasts for the Wii U from 9 million to 2.8 million units and cut its estimates for the 3DS from 18 million to 13.5 million units.

Many investors and Nintendo fans have called for the legendary game company to embrace mobile platforms, but the company's executives have so far remained steadfast in focusing their valuable game franchises only on Nintendo-branded hardware.

Article Link: Nintendo Denies Report of Plans to Release Demo Games on iOS

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
They went on, "... we firmly believe we will continue to reap on our success from the original Wii gaming console and live in the past and poot away any chances to regain our footing in the gaming industry!"

MarioG

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Slovenia
Oh but yes...God forbid.
If they revamped the old Super Mario like games and started releasing new games on iOS they could possibly make some money, which seems to be a great danger lately :confused:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
They could so easily make a ton of money making an Rayman Jungle Run inspired Mario game.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Nintendo Denies Report of Plans to Release Demo Games on iOS
Fine. No one believed that report anyway. It is too much effort to make Mario run on iOS only for a demo, which couldn't even reproduce the gameplay without physical controls. Meanwhile Nintendos real problems remain unaddressed.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Iwata's actions, if true, look like the Germanic tribe response to the Roman army in the initial scene of "Gladiator".

The dialogue between Quintus and Maximus at that moment is also very appropriate:

Quintus: People should know when they are conquered.
Maximus: Would you, Quintus? Would I?

theydonotmove

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York, NY
this would be a good move for Nintendo, demos for the mobile sphere, and save your real games for your devices.

If Nintendo steps into the mobile gaming market they will waste a lot of energy trying to compete in a whole new area of gaming. they will be developing new software or porting old software to two new platforms (android and iOS), that are fragmented over different types of hardware, and competing with developers who have been there for many years already.

Go play Super Mario 3D world and then tell me you can replicate that on a phone. I'm sorry but you can't.

Nintendo's place is in the living room or a mobile device of their design, not your smartphone.

The next Smash Bros,. and Zelda, and Mario Kart, and other 1st party titles will be a shot in the arm for Wii U sales, the console will likely go the route of the Gamecube, which was not a success but was still profitable by the end of it's run.

Nintendo's next move should be as the recent rumors have pointed to; a console/handheld fusion device with backwards compatibility to Wii and Wii U, support from Nintendo's online market, and specs at least somewhere in the ballpark of the current offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

A seamless mobile and living room gaming experience.

Did mac clones help Apple? No.

Then why would Nintendo commit suicide just so you can play Mario on your iPhone?

Aside from top notch game making and an earned reputation for making some of the best games in the business, the most valuable thing Nintendo has is its catalog of retro games and its intellectual properties.

Putting those games and/or properties on other devices is like throwing money away for Nintendo.

When you buy a game on Nintendo's virtual console they earn 100 percent of the profit, if they were bleeding them off onto other devices they would be earning less than if they sold it themselves.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
if nintendo CEO doesn't do anything about it quick, Mario is going to end up working as a plumber.

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
I think Nintendo are working on a smartphone that can play Nintendo games.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
this would be a good move for Nintendo, demos for the mobile sphere, and save your real games for your devices.

If Nintendo steps into the mobile gaming market they will waste a lot of energy trying to compete in a whole new area of gaming. they will be developing new software or porting old software to two new platforms (android and iOS), that are fragmented over different types of hardware, and competing with developers who have been there for many years already.

Go play Super Mario 3D world and then tell me you can replicate that on a phone. I'm sorry but you can't.

Nintendo's place is in the living room or a mobile device of their design, not your smartphone.

The next Smash Bros,. and Zelda, and Mario Kart, and other 1st party titles will be a shot in the arm for Wii U sales, the console will likely go the route of the Gamecube, which was not a success but was still profitable by the end of it's run.

Nintendo's next move should be as the recent rumors have pointed to; a console/handheld fusion device with backwards compatibility to Wii and Wii U, support from Nintendo's online market, and specs at least somewhere in the ballpark of the current offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

Then why would Nintendo commit suicide just so you can play Mario on your iPhone?

Aside from top notch game making and an earned reputation for making some of the best games in the business, the most valuable thing Nintendo has is its catalog of retro games and its intellectual properties.

Putting those games and/or properties on other devices is like throwing money away for Nintendo.

When you buy a game on Nintendo's virtual console they earn 100 percent of the profit, if they were bleeding them off onto other devices they would be earning less than if they sold it themselves.

I agree, well said!

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
Nintendo confirms it will continue its current strategy of downward spiral.

I can see thsm making mini games that some how augment existing games on the wii-u. Like a character creator that u can send to the wii and race him in mario kart kart or something.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010

As much as I want Mario Bros or Mario Kart on my iPhone/iPad? You are 100% right. It only makes sense if they no longer get to the point where they see a profit from the hardware. If the R&D costs are never recouped. Their brand value isn't hardware, it is their intellectual property, i.e., Mario.

When looked at that way, they are the exact opposite of Apple. Apples value lies in it's hardware. Their software supports their hardware and makes it shine.

Nintendo's value lies in it's software. Their hardware is a way to control the game experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.