Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google's messaging app Hangouts was today updated to version 2.0, adding an iOS 7 redesign and several new features including animated stickers, 10 second video messages, and iPad optimization. This is the app's first major update since it received voice calling and Google Voice integration back in October of 2013.

Following the update, the app supports a two-column conversation view on the iPad. Like many other social networking apps, Hangouts now supports animated stickers that can be included in messages, and maps of current locations can also be sent in a message.

googlehangouts.jpg
Along with a new look and feel, Hangouts has also gained new option to send a video message that's up to 10 seconds in length to offline users, which can be viewed later.
- Stickers: express your mood with fun animated stickers. Think of them as emoji, but even more awesome.

- Video Messages: record and send short videos to everyone in the conversation. Now you can really say what you need to say.

- Location sharing: send a map of your current location with a few simple taps. Great for coordinating the whole gang when you're ready to hangout IRL.

- Optimized for the iPad: enjoy big, beautiful video calls, and a two-pane conversation view. Perfect for the iPad's larger screen.
Google's Hangouts app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Hangouts for iOS Gains iPad Optimization, iOS 7 Redesign

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Google knows how to do flat UI

Apple take note.

Of what? We can argue until the cows come home about what constitutes flat design, but I still prefer Apple's more playful take on it, and I think at the end of the day, that's really what matters more, rather than just meeting the technical definitions of "flat" just for the sake of it.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
wonder if they fixed the Google Voice integration? there are times when it won't receive an incoming call, so I use both talkatone and google hangouts for google voice. (hangouts for outgoing, and talkatone for incoming as it always receives calls).

:D

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Of what? We can argue until the cows come home about what constitutes flat design, but I still prefer Apple's more playful take on it, and I think at the end of the day, that's really what matters more, rather than just meeting the technical definitions of "flat" just for the sake of it.

Apple's flat design is just clutter. At least Google's design is nice and clean, and minimalistic.

Now dont get me wrong, iOS 7's UI isn't ENTIRELY bad...the blur effects are beautiful, but overall compared to Google's UI on the Stock Android, Google really takes the cake

jake0112

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I don't like the intrusive video button on the righthand side while holding the iPad in landscape.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Does to me. Lots of grey and white plus muted colours. Add Roboto and you're pretty much there.

Last edited:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Google knows how to do flat UI

Apple take note.

Google knows UI? They can't even get mail right. It's also the same company that made a simple video app, YouTube, unusable and put text fields on the same plane as the background, rendering them invisible. I think they took "flat" design literally.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Cows are coming home!?!? Party time!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Does to me. Lots of grey and white plus muted colours. Add Roboto and you're pretty much there.

No slideout navigation, no overflow menu, etc. It looks nothing like any of Google's current apps on Android. I can't imagine Google using the 4 icons at the bottom for navigation considering what they have been moving towards on Android.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
No slideout navigation, no overflow menu, etc. It looks nothing like any of Google's current apps on Android. I can't imagine Google using the 4 icons at the bottom for navigation considering what they have been moving towards on Android.

UI not UX. UX will never be the same because the OS differ in general UX.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
From the screenshots, this looks gorgeous. The only thing I don't like is that massive button down the RHS of the screen.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hooray, it *finally* remembers my account details so I don't need to enter my username and password every time. Unfortunately it still has the bug where "in-app sounds" keeps turning itself on.

Hopefully the Return key on the keyboard will actually send a message now, but I can't try that until Monday because my keyboard's at work.

Edit: Nope, it still just goes to the next line. How hard can this be?! :mad:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.