Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timatual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I have an Iphone 4s that does not shut off if its not being charged. If I select power off, it goes through the shut down, screen blanks for about 2 seconds, then turns right back on. No problems shutting it down with it being charged though. Any ideas? Thanks

BoogalooShrimp

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
EXACT same thing here. Started last week and it seems my battery which has been perfect for five months has, at the same time, been extremely poor. Lost 80% of my battery from 9am til 2pm and all I'd done was a bit of browsing.

timatual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
the exact same thing with my battery too. Did you get any suggestions from anybody whats going on

RMC Tech

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Lehigh Valley PA
Hey guys,

I've seen this happen a couple times. My company deals with iPhones. The solution has always been taking it back to Apple, and some sort of software/motherboard problem. Only they can fix it (which will not be a fix, but rather a new or refurbed phone).

Now, granted, I could be wrong, and it could be some app going crazy or some piece of hardware preventing shutdown. But I'd say Apple needs to see that phone. Hope that helps!

BoogalooShrimp

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Yeah, done soft reset, software update, restore, etc. Apple Store have said give it two weeks then book another appointment. He pretty much said if it's still the same, he'll have to change the phone. Go and book in an appt.

timatual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks for the help. Tried a full factory restore and no help. Have a Genius appt sunday at 2. Will they be able to determine what needs done (new phone) at this appt. or will I have to go back more than once. It's over an hour drive from my house to nearest apple store so I'm hoping this is a one time trip.
Thanks for your responses

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
My iPod Nano was doing the exact same thing. It turned out to be dirt in the charging port. :confused:

The genius blew it out with some air and it went back to normal behavior. It must be a common problem because that is the first place he looked.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
EXACT same thing here. Started last week and it seems my battery which has been perfect for five months has, at the same time, been extremely poor. Lost 80% of my battery from 9am til 2pm and all I'd done was a bit of browsing.

That weird, my battery has been poorer since last week too. It dies in the early afternoon and I haven't been on my phone as much due to studying so something else is killing it

dalvinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Just to let everyone know i had this problem and i changed the charging connector and the phone powered off and worked fine after this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.