Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best GUI of all time?

• Classic iOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OS X 10.5-10.9

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Older OS X (please specify)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • CDE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GNOME 2

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Classic Mac OS

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • OpenStep

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm partial to OSX, though the changes MS applied in win7 make that a winner as well.

macproredux

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2014
Gnome 2 and OS X in a split decision. It just depends on which iteration of OS X and which in Linux.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Leopard. Not because of it's fantastic capabilities as it didn't have any, but because it was the first time Apple put a retail fancy box on computer store shelves, heralding the start of where we are now!

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Leopard. Not because of it's fantastic capabilities as it didn't have any, but because it was the first time Apple put a retail fancy box on computer store shelves, heralding the start of where we are now!
I don't think Apple ever used bad packaging.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're poll is missing Windows. I think being the most prevalent OS on the market with more people using that then any other OS deserves to be in the poll.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Back in the day OS/2 Warp was well ahead with their GUI, though the horsepower of the computers lacked the ability to drive their incredibly object orientated GUI, or it may been bloated code - either way it was superior to windows 3.1. Lack of apps and other factors doomed the OS

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't really have a favorite, but agree that Windows ought to be included as well.

I like OS X, Windows 7 and iOS - if I were to pick anything that is.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I don't really have a favorite, but agree that Windows ought to be included as well.

I like OS X, Windows 7 and iOS - if I were to pick anything that is.

Well if Windows is included too I'd have to say XP. I guess if we're talking about groundbreaking then WIn95 / 98 would be in there too, but fort stability and pro tools XP was the one for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well if Windows is included too I'd have to say XP. I guess if we're talking about groundbreaking then WIn95 / 98 would be in there too, but fort stability and pro tools XP was the one for me.

For me its legacy windows (3.1/95/xp), win7 and now win8 <- that because its such a radical change.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Back in the day OS/2 Warp was well ahead with their GUI, though the horsepower of the computers lacked the ability to drive their incredibly object orientated GUI, or it may been bloated code - either way it was superior to windows 3.1. Lack of apps and other factors doomed the OS

Good memories on that one; had it running on a 386SX. Too bad IBM didn't pushed harder.

Oh, and I loved GEMTOS on my Atari ST.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Good memories on that one; had it running on a 386SX. Too bad IBM didn't pushed harder.

Oh, and I loved GEMTOS on my Atari ST.

We are kind of wandering off topic, but GEM was great..especially for music.

I also liked DOS for it's totally geeky blank black screen and blinking cursor.:D

For me its legacy windows (3.1/95/xp), win7 and now win8 <- that because its such a radical change.

Is Win 8 really a huge change? I ask because I've seen it in action but never used it..I know it's supposed to be less resource hungry, but it still looked to be hampered by the need for AV, Am packages as well as the constant update screen every time you booted it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is Win 8 really a huge change?
Win 8.0 was a major change due to the metro interface replacing the start start button and task bar. With 8.1 you can choose to use the traditional start menu and task bar or the metro interface. The metro interface is good for touch based products, not so much for desktops imo.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
On a device with a touchscreen, Windows 8(.1), hands down.

On a non-touchscreen device, either KDE or 10.3. 10.3, because it had some personality, KDE because I just think it's cool. It's not that functional though :p

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
Window Maker is an X11 window manager originally designed to provide integration support for the GNUstep Desktop Environment. In every way possible, it reproduces the elegant look and feel of the NEXTSTEP user interface. It is fast, feature rich, easy to configure, and easy to use. It is also free software, with contributions being made by programmers from around the world.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've used all the choices but OpenStep and voted for recent OS X, however Windows and OS/2 should have also been choices.

For its time, OS/2 was very good, and I'd pick Windows XP over Gnome or KDE (also not in the survey) or CDE any day.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Mac OS 9.2 was quite enjoyable to use.

I'd have to say 10.4 and 10.8 have the best UI though in my opinion.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I saw the Star I think. What was afar the Star?
I remember some very cool 3d file system browser. Maybe that was at HP...

The Alto was not a commercial product. I used one that they had at Stanford in the Summer of 1980. The Star was a commercial product which was a failure in the market. I don't believe there was a successor.

AaronShep

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Are you people serious? Mac OS 9 is the best user interface of all time. Anything on the Mac since then has been a compromise to accommodate the Unix underpinnings of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.