Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Was past there earlier. They have replaced all the paving stones at the front and also the bus shelter just at the very left unit. Apple are to occupy the the corner unit ie Three on the right and nearly all the way up the hill. Barclays is occupying the centre (isn) unit which is to be a flagship shop design.

Council are planning to fix the cobbles/pavements behind the shop so the area can be used as a walk through from the Tram stop & when the new shopping centre opens (St James Quarter). Pretty dingy right now, two great pubs there though... lucky staff!

Here is a recent photo now the scaffolding is largely down.

A photo for comparison taken before the works started. I think it's a shame they haven't cleaned the original stonework.

3683584469.jpg

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Plain white hoarding now up around the store location. I expect it will be painted black or with an interesting design in the near future. Only extends so far so you can see where the next door Barclays branch is going to be and get a sense of the size of the store. I didn't think to get a picture but will do so next time I'm passing.

Coldstream

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
The situation at the end of February. Notice how the entire roof and tower have been lifted to provide another two hotel floors.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 258

Malcs

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Scotland
A person working at John Lewis mentioned to somebody at my work that a new Apple store would be opening up in Edinburgh in the next two months. She had been in John Lewis because of problems with her iPad but she didn't want it getting sent away and couldn't get through to Glasgow. No idea how accurate this information is but it would fit with how far the work is progressing.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A person working at John Lewis mentioned to somebody at my work that a new Apple store would be opening up in Edinburgh in the next two months. She had been in John Lewis because of problems with her iPad but she didn't want it getting sent away and couldn't get through to Glasgow. No idea how accurate this information is but it would fit with how far the work is progressing.

That is quite obviously pure speculation!

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Won't be open in May.

August would be a realistic aim.
October would be the safe money.

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
By End of July. It will be open before the Festival.

It is likely the person being mentioned in John Lewis is the Apple rep..

Took a pic the other day, similar to the other above. The reason for the slightly larger white boards is due to the hotel on the opposite side of the road, they would have been able to see. Someone was actually sent to check it out from the top room in said hotel to make sure it was suitably covered!!

Wish they had cleaned the older section of the building and it will be interesting to see how Apple Photograph the building to 1. mask that difference in colour and 2. to exclude the horrific state of the cobbles and path to the side of the building (West Register Street). The hotel that occupies the upper part opens in 15 days.

1vDYWrB.jpg

This link to the hotel shows what the ground floor unit Apple are to occupy is likely to look like.. http://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/edinburgh/edinburgh-princes

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I've been waiting years for an Apple store to pop up in edinburgh, but so far no damn luck.

The council are totally inept...

Apparently, Apple and Edinburgh council haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen has had an Apple store for years, and Glasgow actually has two :D

Coldstream

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Glad someone agrees with me!

No doubt the new occupants (Motel One, Barclays Bank and Apple would have liked to clean the older surfaces, but we're talking about Edinburgh Council here - someone, somewhere will have written a guideline about removing top surface skin on old stone - and there's nothing Edinburgh Planning Department likes more than obscure, outdated, obstinate attitudes written into a pointless guideline!

RHustler

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
They've started decorating the white hoardings as of around midnight tonight - lots of coloured dots - not sure what this means, but something is happening . . .

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
At last! Not just for an Apple Store but also that end of Princes St to finally end as a construction site. It's been years and years...

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Great news - haven't been up to princes st in a few weeks, so v pleased to see this. Being open for festival time would be a bonanza for the store.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
ifo applestore now reporting that the opening has been delayed. Not 100% sure what that means when no date has been announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.