Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Now let's see if he's smart enough to do this without requiring an Office 365 subscription...

Since I already have an Office 365 sub, I'm hoping for it to be included.

Just so people understand, there's absolutely no difference between a purchased copy of Office and the Office 365 offering - it's just a payment difference. The only difference is that you download 365 instead of installing from disc, and you pay monthly.

I'm no fan of Office or Microsoft by any means, but there are too many clients using Office and Outlook to ignore them. Many of the "competitive" tools aren't very good either.

We'll see how this works out.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I remember when Microsoft had the "funeral" for the iPhone.

It must be killing those old employees to hear "iPhone" and "iPad" repeated throughout this event!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Subscription needed to edit? :eek:

1269337691_guy-walks-in-on-obamas-speech.gif

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Is the Office 365 subscription going to be different for iOS? I would be willing to pay $1.99 per year to have access to the full suite. $2.99 if they up the Sky Drive storage to 100gb as part of the package.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is the Office 365 subscription going to be different for iOS? I would be willing to pay $1.99 per year to have access to the full suite. $2.99 if they up the Sky Drive storage to 100gb as part of the package.

no it's the same Office 365 subscription across ALL platforms. Access to Office 365 allow use of office programmes on all available platforms, there isn't any segregation for iOS users.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
no it's the same Office 365 subscription across ALL platforms. Access to Office 365 allow use of office programmes on all available platforms, there isn't any segregation for iOS users.

Is this confirmed somewhere?

I am hoping this is the case...

Also, why all the hate behind software rental? Is it just a visceral hatred without looking at the pros and cons? When I looked at 365, the cost involved was an order of magnitude below what I would have had to pay outright - it was a no-brainer.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Good alternative.

I replaced Office apps with iWork in 2011. Mobile Pages and Numbers apps are great.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Damn, office on the ipad looked really good. Shame about only being able to edit and create is through 365. Some nice things in those apps.

Hope the iWork team were paying attention. This should fuel some competition in mobile productivity space.

Also, really like the new CEO

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
As a word 2011 user, the interface looks much better IMO than that of pages (for iOS) and I would pay a good amount for it but I can't see many people other than businesses paying a subscription.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Is this confirmed somewhere?

I am hoping this is the case...

Also, why all the hate behind software rental? Is it just a visceral hatred without looking at the pros and cons? When I looked at 365, the cost involved was an order of magnitude below what I would have had to pay outright - it was a no-brainer.

The ONLY problem I have with software rental is this. I create a couple hundred files in a proprietary format. If the company dissolves or stops producing this software for whatever reason, I'm stuck with hundreds of files I can no longer access. If I own a copy of the software, I can at least cut and paste out of the document format...

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
Haha Typical Micro$oft.

Up to their old tricks again.

Money grabbing tw@s.

They tried it with the XBox One, with their overpricing, and attempt at stopping people from using second-hand games etc, and now they want to use this to try to extort money from the gullible.

Not a chance, M$, not a chance at all. This truly is the final straw for me. When the time comes to replace my PC, I'm going totally Apple. I will never, ever, EVER put another penny in Micro$oft's pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.