Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Blizzard Entertainment's digital card trading game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft for iPad is now available for download worldwide after soft-launching in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand in early April. The game initially launched for the Mac in March.

The free-to-play collectible card game is set in the Warcraft universe, allowing players to compete with Magic the Gathering-style decks in one-on-one fights via Battle.net or against the computer. The iPad version of the game is able to connect to a Battle.net account, syncing with the PC/Mac version.

JUMP RIGHT IN: Fun introductory missions bring you into the world of Hearthstone's intuitive gameplay.

BUILD YOUR DECK: With hundreds of additional cards to win and craft - your collection grows with you.

HONE YOUR SKILLS: Play in practice matches against computer-controlled heroes of the Warcraft universe. Thrall, Uther, Gul'dan - they're all here!

COLLECTION TRAVELS WITH YOU: Your card collection is linked to your Battle.net account - enabling you to switch your play between tablet and desktop with ease.

AND FIGHT FOR GLORY: When you're ready, step into the Arena and duel other players for the chance to win awesome prizes!
Our sister site Touch Arcade has given Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft a five star review, calling the game "a ton of fun" and "super easy to pick up."
Hearthstone is not only an example of a free-to-play model done right, but it's a must-play for card game enthusiasts everywhere. It's incredibly easy to get into, the picturesque art is easy on the eyes, and best of all -- it plays perfectly on an iPad.
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is also available for the Mac after launching in March and Blizzard has plans to bring it to the iPhone as well, later in the year.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft for the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for iPad Now Available Worldwide

bibi2205

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Can't find it on the Belgian store yet.. Might actually start playing it again when it's available on the iPad (and eventually iPhone). :)

errror

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
Finland
Not in Finland yet, either! :( I literally just jumped up from my chair and went to pick up my iPad when the notification about this article popped onto my screen lol.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It wasn't able to find it when I searched in App Store but when using the direct link in the article it worked.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Does this work on the iPad 2?

From the notes in the App Store:

"iPad 2 or better"

I'm loading it on my iPad 2 right now, so I'll find out in a bit! ^___^

Edit: so far, so good. It loaded right up.

Double-edit: loads are a bit slow (only 512MB RAM), and animation is a bit choppy during loads, but all animations are buttery smooth once things get loaded.

Last edited:

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
OMG!!! I'm so happy now. Loved this game, but didn't want to sit behind mac to play it

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
From the notes in the App Store:

"iPad 2 or better"

I'm loading it on my iPad 2 right now, so I'll find out in a bit! ^___^

Edit: so far, so good. It loaded right up.

Double-edit: loads are a bit slow (only 512MB RAM), and animation is a bit choppy during loads, but all animations are buttery smooth once things get loaded.

Quite laggy all the time on my iPad 2, but it's bearable. Got a crash due to low memory though (not too surprised about that…) and you have to be careful that you don't accidentaly press the lock button on the iPad 2, because your current game round probably won't be remembered when unlock and go back into Hearthstone. :(

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I'm a huge Blizzard fan, but not really a fan of these types of card games. Despite that, I got in the beta on the Mac/PC version and really liked it. Like others here, I really wanted to play this on the couch or in bed and not sitting in front of the computer.

This version is very well done and it was made for a touch screen.

It's definitely the best iPad game of 2014 and one of the best iPad games ever.

I guess my only gripe is you need to be online to play, no playing on a plane or places without wifi/cell service.

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
I'm genuinely curious how the **** did Blizzard manage to get that special black border + picture on the App Store when you click on the app?

I've never seen any app that has that except for Apple's own apps. Even apps like Microsoft Word or Twitter didn't have that.

Seriously, that made me click the Free button just to try it out.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
This game is the nuts! If you played WoW and either already enjoy card games or have been wanting to try them, this game is it. It does seem like a perfect fit for the iPad.

Damn you Blizzard, you know I have no will power! As if I didn't already waste enough times in CoC... my productivity is doomed... DOOMED!!1!1!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Heck, I played this ALL LAST NIGHT. :eek: I wasn't really feeling it to begin with with all the cheesy dialogue, but as soon as I got into the third round, I was hooked.

Plays beautifully on my iPad Mini.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Runs well on the iPad Air, although it does have some occasional stutter, mostly in-between modules (game, cards, etc.). Although, I get the same thing running it on the MacBook Air. The in-game performance is fine. I suspect there is still quite a bit of optimization they can do for the iPad's CPU/GPU capabilities.

One thing I don't like is in the deck-building module, if you tap on a card that's already in a deck (on the right), it shows the card but then if you move your finger at all, it cancels the card preview and changes to dragging the thumbnail of the thin card strip. So it's hard to look at your cards unless you're really careful. I think they should increase the movement tolerance before it changes to the drag operation. Likewise, you have to be careful when previewing a hero ability in the game, as some are triggered with a tap.

I also find the player's cards (in game) to be a little small and too far at the bottom of the screen, I would prefer they were a little more prominent, but that's a nitpick. I would like to see a greater variety of emote text (maybe with hero animations).

Overall it is excellent and IMO a more fun and convenient way to play the game compared tot he computer. Something like World of Warcraft would be a huge challenge, maybe impossible on a tablet, but this game was made for tablets. No idea how they are going to make it work on an iPhone though, they are going to have to do some serious UI reconfiguration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.