Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjbenson83

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2013
Atlanta
Yea it's a bit of a tough call for me. Either i get a lower res screen but I get TB and IPS, or loose both of those for a TN with extremely hi resolution. don't know what's better really. Doesn't seem like Apple is going to provide a solution anytime soon.

The Dell 32" 4k is around $2k at B&H at the moment, price on that bad boy is cheaper than an 1600P NEC or Eizo.

gheedough

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Melburn
Yea it's a bit of a tough call for me. Either i get a lower res screen but I get TB and IPS, or loose both of those for a TN with extremely hi resolution. don't know what's better really. Doesn't seem like Apple is going to provide a solution anytime soon.

For me it's definitely not the Samsung. With just the rMBP, I need the dock functionality (USB, ethernet, etc), so this doesn't cut it.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
For me it's definitely not the Samsung. With just the rMBP, I need the dock functionality (USB, ethernet, etc), so this doesn't cut it.

Exactly. The LG checks all the boxes for me. If it was on the shelves right now it would be on my desk.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I am very close to pulling the trigger on this but would love to wait and see reviews, plus I think the 29 is a better size for me

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Its available at new egg. For $1500. Basically from an asian supplier. I'll wait til it comes here officially for less.

BCrutchfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Just an update if anyone else was considering this screen for their 2013 iMac like I am.

A very helpful member in the Mac Pro section tested it out, and it does look like it is confirmed that an iMac can drive this display at 60Hz at 3440x1440 over Thunderbolt 1/Displayport.

Now to wait for late May when B&H seems to be getting them in stock. Glad to have another viable non-Apple TBD option.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19014581/

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Just an update if anyone else was considering this screen for their 2013 iMac like I am.

A very helpful member in the Mac Pro section tested it out, and it does look like it is confirmed that an iMac can drive this display at 60Hz at 3440x1440 over Thunderbolt 1/Displayport.

Now to wait for late May when B&H seems to be getting them in stock. Glad to have another viable non-Apple TBD option.

Thats awesome! I wonder if my 2012 rMBP will be able to handle driving this monitor as well. If not I can always just use it with my 2013 iMac, no big deal.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I have a late 2013 loaded rMBP. I am assuming it should have no problem.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.

If someone could find out whether it's DP 1.2a, that would be super nice to know.

BCrutchfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Still at the vastly inflated price though.

This monitor seems to have quite the buzz about it. That video review I posted above has gotten close to 100k views in a single day. B&H might be making quite the killing here being the only retailer offering pre-orders on it for the US market. Placed mine this morning.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
B&H might be making quite the killing here being the only retailer offering pre-orders on it for the US market. Placed mine this morning.

I am getting close to placing my order too. Will LG honor the return policy they have on in stock merchandise for this unit? I see that they don't charge until they ship, but it doesn't mention that it will be returnable.

I personally don't see it getting cheaper than 1k for a while, and that was in my budget anyway but....

BCrutchfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
I am getting close to placing my order too. Will LG honor the return policy they have on in stock merchandise for this unit? I see that they don't charge until they ship, but it doesn't mention that it will be returnable.

I personally don't see it getting cheaper than 1k for a while, and that was in my budget anyway but....

I'm pretty sure it would just be B&H's 30 day return policy, then it would default to LG's 1 year warranty on it from the date they ship it, and you get the invoice for it.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
any feedback from any other users who may have received this monitor?

Thanks

trout4u

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
Seattle, WA
I know this may be a little late but I have had this display now for a couple of weeks. I live in Seattle and bought mine at Fry's in Renton WA. The US official retail price is $999 so DO NOT pay more than that as those are scalper prices from Korea and LG will likely not honor a warranty through purchases made that way.

Anyway, here is my review on Amazon.....:p

Ok, I have used many, many different kinds of displays. Matt screen, glossy, 30", 27", 24", surround with three 27", ect. This is THE best display I've ever used. I am aware of 4K and its ability and I believe this is way better than any 4K at the moment. Just my opinion. Most 4K runs at 30 Hz and its still in the birthing stage. Its true ability will take a couple of years to perfect.

First off, it's wide, very wide. It's the same aspect ratio of ultra-widescreen movies. Its the same height as a 27" 2560 X 1440 display with an additional 3-4 inches to each side--hence the 3440 resolution. It's light..about 1/2 the weight of my Apple cinema display being that all metal and glass and this being plastic. It comes per-calibrated but I had to tinker with the menu to get it to my preferences.

Its matt screened but hardly, and I mean HARDLY. I can see detailed reflections in it. The anti-glare coating is very, very light that I wouldn't even class it as matt. It's semi-glossy in my opinion with just enough matt to throw off harsh glares. It runs a smooth 60Hz via Display port and Thunderbolt and 50Hz via HDMI. I guess for hard-core gamers a 120Hz would be desirable but I could never tell any difference. Its plenty fast for me as well with a 5MS response time.

The real winner here for me is the back I/O ports. The thing has a built-in KVM switch and/or Thunderbolt dock. What I have is a brute of a PC and a late 2013 retina MacBook Pro. Both are plugged into the I/O on the back and both run native resolution and sound without any need for any KVM switch! Its built right into the menu on the display. Choose your input and the rear I/O does the magic. I am ONLY using the Thunderbolt port and cable running to my MacBook Pro. Nothing else. No USB, audio, nothing. I am using the display's USB "uplink" to plug into my PC, and then I plug in my only keyboard and only mouse in the back USB "In" ports on the back of the display. All I need to do is use the display's joystick menu controller and switch inputs and its works like a charm! USB data, audio, and display video are all carried over the single Thunderbolt cable to my Mac and the PC is controlled via the USB cables. Wow.

Totally awesome and immerse to the core. I have separate speakers for my PC and the audio from my Mac is passed into the displays speakers which are really not bad.

All in all, this display is what I've waited for years to obtain and it's here.

Thanks!

If you have any questions you want to throw at me, let me know.

hyune83

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Is this monitor a one cable solution hub (thunderbolt) just like the thunderbolt display. Will 3.5 audio, USB transmit just through the one cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.