Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has introduced reduced education pricing for the iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini, offering both tablets at starting prices of $469 and $379, reports iGeneration (Google Translate).

With both iPads still showing a standard retail price starting at $499 and $399, the new education pricing totals to a $30 discount on the iPad Air and $20 discount on the Retina iPad mini and marks the first time that Apple has included the iPad in the special program. Apple is also offering special education pricing on the first-generation iPad mini and the fourth-generation iPad, as well as deals on refurbished previous generation iPads.

ipad_education_pricing-800x359.jpg

Apple previously cut education pricing on the non-Retina 13-Inch MacBook Pro to $999 last year, and also offers discounts on the entire Mac line in its education store. The discounted education pricing is available to employees of K-12 schools as well as faculty, staff, students, and parents of students at higher education institutions.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Education Pricing for iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini, Now Starting at $469 and $379

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Not much of a saving, though. £5 off through education store is barely worth the effort...

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Realy it taken this long for apple to think about us students? And only $30? Us students are not that rich!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
He'll only "open" it daily if you get a Smart Cover, too, and those cost thirty dolla—ah, very clever, Apple, very clever. ;)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I hope they will be cancelling the discount. I don't want to see Apple going bankrupt. :(

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
$50 off MBA models. I'll definitely have to take advantage of that before I graduate (again). I upgraded my iPad from 3 to Air after dealing with the slowness and getting a sweet discount/trade-in deal at Target. The only unfortunate part is I have a Windows notebook that dad gummit works for the most part.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I hope they will be cancelling the discount. I don't want to see Apple going bankrupt. :(

Don't worry; they're going to make a bunch of it back after investing in beets, which are some kind of miracle food, apparently. :eek:

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
When you're a student, £5 makes the different between being able to afford a kebab after a night out, and not being able to afford a kebab after a night out :D

You don't buy a £400+ iPad if you can't fully afford a £5 kebab.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They've been reducing the edu discounts in general, so its nice to see them hopefully make it more affordable for students.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
They've been reducing the edu discounts in general, so its nice to see them hopefully make it more affordable for students.

A $30 discount on a $400 device not really making it "more affordable"... If that's the make or break to buying one, probably shouldn't be at all.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
They give students pretty good discounts on MacBooks, and considering a discounted MacBook Air with 128GB of storage is now $849 and a discounted iPad Air with that same 128GB is $769 (+ a $40 Smart Cover, probably?), the prices are really getting close.

I'd say most students, judging by what I've seen (and what I think is the smarter choice) are going to put in a little extra money to get a laptop.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Maybe on the iPads, but otherwise I totally disagree; we just bought a MacBook Air 13" whose final price was £975.60 (spec'ed out, and Apple care included). Without the discount, this would have cost £1278.00. We saved over £300! I think that's a good saving... Other than some of those recent Microsoft Surface student deals (which always seem to be for old Surface Pros anyway), I couldn't find any other good deals to suggest to my brother (whom we were buying the MacBook Air for).

I had a look for surface a little while ago as i was looking at a new laptop. The only student discount I could find was for the 32gb surface RT original. I want all my music (in itunes preferably to put on my iPad i was given), all my software (which the iPad cant run or couldn't run at the time) but the selling point was the app store which had nothing in....
Although i would not buy a iPad today as it again just feels a bit like a toy - all your entertainment on it but thats that - cant run the software i need to i have all my films and music on it - a Windows 8 all in one is (sadly) the best way to go for a student at the moment.

Magnum Opus

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
This isn't new, I got an education discount on my iPad Air on release day....

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 406

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
This and another $60 will get you a real discount or just regular pricing at another reseller.

What a joke...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.