Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thervp

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Delaware
Although you guys have no reason to really trust me figuring as I joined today, I am working with the source code from Tiamo's boot.efi to see if I can figure it out.

I also had to go dig up my old 8800 GT which took me a good part of my time yesterday. I am at work now, but I will post an update once I get home and try the changes I'm making now.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
@gpatpandp:

I don't doubt your expertise or the value of your rather negative assessment, but, if I may, I'd like to point out that VMWare Fusion 6.0.3 seems to accept Yosemite as a Virtual Machine. That being the case, I would be very surprised that VMWare can produce a virtual EFI for Yosemite to boot in a window, but creating support for a 32-bit EFI masquerading as 64-bit UEFI is impossible. It SHOULD be possible.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree...it is far too early to deem anything impossible.

I'm not sure the situation is all that different from when Mountain Lion was introduced. That left the original Mac Pro "behind in the dust" as well. What was different was that Chameleon was already being used on original Mac Pros to boot Lion with a 64-kernel so once Chameleon was updated for Mountain Lion it worked fine on the Mac Pro. Only later did the vaguely mysterious (is it based on unpublished Apple code?) tiamo's bootloader appear allowing for a purely native boot.[/LIST]

I do however feel that the point made here is the crucial one...that being that with say Mountain Lion for instance, both the tools existed (i.e. Chameleon) and even the luck/fortune of a supported 32 bit boot.efi initially released in 10.8 DP1 had eventually allowed/enabled support on the unsupported.

My concern is that as Apple has killed off any possibility of OS X 10.9 Mavericks effectively working on those unsupported Intel GMA 950/X3100 & ATI X1600 machines, it appears to me that OS X 10.10 Yosemite while in a different fashion, is meant to accomplish the same only this time with the unsupported Mac Pro.

As I am an owner of such a machine, of course I sincerely hope not. I am just uncertain how one circumvents an OS that for the first time ever does not support legacy booting and furthermore has been created in such a way as to not allow it.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I am just uncertain how one circumvents an OS that for the first time ever does not support legacy booting and furthermore has been created in such a way as to not allow it.
Relax. It's only day three with Yosemite DP1. The fact that no one has found a combination to get it running on the original Mac Pro hardware yet is really not at all surprising.

There's nothing magic about legacy BIOS vs. UEFI POSTing, everything can be emulated or simulated as needed. That's the point of the Chameleon bootloader, actually, to create a simulated barebones EFI boot that's just enough to load OS X in a totally unsupported environment. That "just enough" has had to be updated and changed, sometimes radically, with each major new OS X version and prior to that with every DP release. This time, probably some level of support or workaround is needed for CoreStorage and new kernel structures. There are still unknowns, like if an MBR partition can be booted from the Yosemite kernel, but it'll get sorted out. It always does.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
and even the luck/fortune of a supported 32 bit boot.efi initially released in 10.8 DP1 had eventually allowed/enabled support on the unsupported.

I am getting to far ahead of myself...I meant the 32 bit Kernel in 10.8 DP1 not the efi.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I am working with the source code from Tiamo's boot.efi to see if I can figure it out.
Sounds interesting.

Do you have a sense for what changes you think need to be made? I have read that the kernel is compressed in a new way, which is possibly why the kernel cache needs to be rebuilt when anything changes or Yosemite DP1 won't boot. It's obviously also been renamed and in a different location. Do you think it needs some changes since CoreStorage seems to be required now? Luckily, tiamo's code seems to support that already, otherwise that might have been a major roadblock.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Sounds interesting.

Do you have a sense for what changes you think need to be made? I have read that the kernel is compressed in a new way, which is possibly why the kernel cache needs to be rebuilt when anything changes or Yosemite DP1 won't boot. It's obviously also been renamed and in a different location. Do you think it needs some changes since CoreStorage seems to be required now? Luckily, tiamo's code seems to support that already, otherwise that might have been a major roadblock.

Wow, lots happen when I sleep! If I had the proper knowledge to decompile the efi file (which I might google on later today) I'd see if I can find what needs to be done.

thervp

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Delaware
Sounds interesting.

Do you have a sense for what changes you think need to be made?

Yeah, I kinda have an idea. I know that they compressed the kernel differently, but I am more concerned with finding the location and name first, then worrying about that after. I don't know a whole lot right now, but I am rummaging through tiamo's code to try get an idea of how he did it so I can try to get it right. I will know a lot more once I get home and tinker with my Pro and start trying to install it.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah, I kinda have an idea. I know that they compressed the kernel differently, but I am more concerned with finding the location and name first, then worrying about that after. I don't know a whole lot right now, but I am rummaging through tiamo's code to try get an idea of how he did it so I can try to get it right. I will know a lot more once I get home and tinker with my Pro and start trying to install it.

In the OS X Install ESD/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel.

Maybe symlink it so its visible by Chameleon? (I know there is more to that, just saying)

thervp

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Delaware
In the OS X Install ESD/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel.

Maybe symlink it so its visible by Chameleon? (I know there is more to that, just saying)

Thanks. I will try that tonight when I get home. Also, I only have a slight clue of what I am doing, so forgive me for some of my inexperience.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks. I will try that tonight when I get home. Also, I only have a slight clue of what I am doing, so forgive me for some of my inexperience.

No problem, I don't know much either. Also, I tried symlinking it and it didn't appear to work. Odd.

Guys, like I said earlier, I swear I might not be an idiot, I didn't put the kernel in the root of my INSTALLER drive. Now it says bad magic number, which means the compression of the file doesn't match what it should be. So small progress, we just need to symlink the kernel so it can read the surrounding files.

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I am downloading DP1 now, I will see what I can do with Chameleon. I don't have a clue how to modify Tiamo's boot.efi code.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
RE: Chameleon

Save yourself the time and hassle. In reading through several of the hackintosh forums even the developers remain stumped in coming up with a solution Chameleon/Yosemite wise. It all seems to stem from that dag gone kernel. I could not believe it last night when what has been the proverbial "Rock of Gibraltar" among all Mac Apps produced in Pacifist could no longer handle the task of extracting the "kernel" from the Essentials.pkg.

Last edited:

Rough Edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
City of Angels
IT's Working on a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 with Clover.

I have Yosemite running on my Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 using a radeon HD 5770 card with CLOVER Bootloader with no problem.

I note the only thing is that you MUST also copy the BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist to the ROOT of the installer and all is good.. A lot of features have NOT been implemented in the first DP yet, of corse. And Sound and bluetooth is not functioning, but that may be a clover thing that i have yet to figure out.

Its nice to get it running and take a peek.. Definitely waiting for Tiamo's amazing EFI hack for sure, that is the best method when running on a real mac.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I have Yosemite running on my Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 using a radeon HD 5770 card with CLOVER Bootloader with no problem.

I note the only thing is that you MUST also copy the BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist to the ROOT of the installer and all is good.. A lot of features have NOT been implemented in the first DP yet, of corse. And Sound and bluetooth is not functioning, but that may be a clover thing that i have yet to figure out.

Its nice to get it running and take a peek.. Definitely waiting for Tiamo's amazing EFI hack for sure, that is the best method when running on a real mac.

I have the same Mac Pro spec wise as you; same Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 with both the firmware and the SMC version flashed to a 2,1 accordingly. Earlier today I installed OS X Yosemite onto an external firewire via a supported Mac eliminating the installer. Then in terminal, I created a small fat32 partition and installed Clover on it. I added the dsdt.aml from my Chameleon Extra folder and placed it in the EFI/Clover/Patched folder and attempted to boot Yosemite. Although I achieved the Clover menu screen, it simply would not boot Yosemite. Oddly though perhaps not a surprise, it booted my Mavericks drive all day long.

Rough Edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
City of Angels
When you select Yosemite to boot, it stays black for like 10 secs, then goes to a new loading bar instead of the apple logo keep in mind. make sure you are booting the clover 64bit version (via legacy boot) and not the "efi boot" which is clover 32 bit as well...

----------

Oh and also, make sure you are using a 3,1 bios as well as the vanilla install without Tiamos boot efi hack...

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
When you select Yosemite to boot, it stays black for like 10 secs, then goes to a new loading bar instead of the apple logo keep in mind. make sure you are booting the clover 64bit version (via legacy boot) and not the "efi boot" which is clover 32 bit as well...

----------

Oh and also, make sure you are using a 3,1 bios as well as the vanilla install without Tiamos boot efi hack...

Wow! Thanks for the tip! 3,1 bios? I am not familiar with what you mean, sorry if it is obvious.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Wow! Thanks for the tip! 3,1 bios? I am not familiar with what you mean, sorry if it is obvious.

He is referring to using the Smbois stats (i.e. motherboard ID etc) of a Mac Pro 3,1...so I take it you used Clover Configurator as well to create one ?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Nicely done!

Are the ODD SATA ports recognized? And how much memory is in your Mac Pro?

I tried Clover a couple years ago when I was experimenting with getting an EFI32 boot to happen, rather than a legacy mode boot, but I didn't get very far.

----------

And Sound and bluetooth is not functioning, but that may be a clover thing that i have yet to figure out.
I think it's a Clover thing. Try this once you're booted up:
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
sudo kextload -v 3 AppleHDA.kext/
Wait a few seconds and see if the sound devices reappear. That was a sound work-around from Sascha_77 at netkas from the earliest days of using a Chameleon boot loader to boot a 64-bit kernel with Lion.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Clover has never liked me and frankly I have never liked it. It always seemed like some random process with no consistency. At any rate I can't get it...it will not boot my installer despite adding both base system files to the root. For good measure I even got out my OS X Lion HD and "blessed" the BOOT with the sudo terminal command (not sure if that was even necessary but nothing else was working so what the heck) and still nada.

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone interested in two scripts to get Yosemite DP1 running on your Mac Pro 1,1?

The first one would install Clover with the correct settings for you, second one would install a script that runs at bootup to fix audio and bluetooth.

Will take me about 30 minutes to prepare.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

----------

Also, what do you mean by "64 bit legacy"?

What options did you select in the Clover installer?

----------

Anyone interested in two scripts to get Yosemite DP1 running on your Mac Pro 1,1?

The first one would install Clover with the correct settings for you, second one would install a script that runs at bootup to fix audio and bluetooth.

Yes I'd love them, as I cannot get clover configured properly. Does it include the config.plist?

Last edited:

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010

Firstly on behalf of everyone here I would firstly like to state that your generosity is most appreciated. Not to be at all ungrateful however and this time speaking entirely for myself. a logistical written out guide would be preferred.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.