Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetspud

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
I own the exact computer. I was able to flash it to MacPro2,1 and upgrade to El Capitan. I would LOVE to help you, but I'm not the best candidate as I did this process quite some time ago and I'm a tad "rusty" on procedure. I want to assure you that it's TOTALLY achievable without too much effort. In addition to here, there are several YouTube™ folks that demonstrate. One I would recommend is, https://www.youtube.com/c/HrutkayMods/search?query=mac pro. The other thing I would recommend is additional memory and an SSD harddrive - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...7.m570.l1313&_nkw=mac+pro+2,1+memory&_sacat=0 I would put the maximum memory in. You can find 32GB of memory on eBay for $50 or so. You can do these things easily on your own.

SSD - https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/mac-pro/2006-2007

The SSD drive adds considerable speed to the system.

For very little money and a little bit of effort, you'll get it!

Non ti preoccupare... buona fortuna!

• Love
Reactions: paolalinz

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi folks, I need some help. Is there anybody willing to help? I have a 2007 Mac Pro >(
Nome modello: Mac Pro
Identificatore modello: MacPro1,1
Nome processore: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Velocità processore: 2,66 GHz
Numero di processori: 2
Numero totale di nuclei: 4
Cache L2 (per processore): 4 MB
Memoria: 4 GB
Velocità bus: 1,33 GHz
Versione Boot ROM: MP11.005C.B08
Version SMC (sistema): 1.7f10
OSX 10.6.8 installed.
I write from Italy, I'm 60, not young as all of you :cool: My daughter today has gone on Distance Learning, for Covid 19 security her school has divided each class in 2 turns, they must rotate each week from distance learning to presence. She uses this mac pro but SURPRISE! to run the required softwares, she needs the osx 10.9 AT LEAST.
As I cannot afford the expense to buy a new computer and this one is SO good honestly, I went through apple support and they said it can be updated to 10.7.5. But as it needs to be at least 10.9 I've been googling to find different solutions and came to this thread. Is there anybody who can explain to me step by step and clearly if I can upgrade to yosemite from SnowLeopard? what do I need and how to do the process? Thank to all of those who will help! Lots of Love ;-)
What gpu do you have? How much RAM? The latest macOS for your machine (unofficial but stable) is El Capitan (10.11)
Be aware that you shouldn’t install the latest security updates from 2018.

sweetspud

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
Hi folks, I need some help. Is there anybody willing to help? I have a 2007 Mac Pro >(
Nome modello: Mac Pro
Identificatore modello: MacPro1,1
Nome processore: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Velocità processore: 2,66 GHz
Numero di processori: 2
Numero totale di nuclei: 4
Cache L2 (per processore): 4 MB
Memoria: 4 GB
Velocità bus: 1,33 GHz
Versione Boot ROM: MP11.005C.B08
Version SMC (sistema): 1.7f10
OSX 10.6.8 installed.
I write from Italy, I'm 60, not young as all of you :cool: My daughter today has gone on Distance Learning, for Covid 19 security her school has divided each class in 2 turns, they must rotate each week from distance learning to presence. She uses this mac pro but SURPRISE! to run the required softwares, she needs the osx 10.9 AT LEAST.
As I cannot afford the expense to buy a new computer and this one is SO good honestly, I went through apple support and they said it can be updated to 10.7.5. But as it needs to be at least 10.9 I've been googling to find different solutions and came to this thread. Is there anybody who can explain to me step by step and clearly if I can upgrade to yosemite from SnowLeopard? what do I need and how to do the process? Thank to all of those who will help! Lots of Love ;-)

BTW

This vintage MacPro is QUITE capable with the hack, max RAM and an SSD - it is STILL my main computer!

Reactions: Dr_Zeus

paolalinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
This first post is usually updated with recent summarized information.

Simply looking to download the Piker-Alpha macosxbootloader? Links:

If you have OS X Yosemite up and running on your 2006/2007 Mac Pro with Pike's boot loader, this is how to make sure OS X Yosemite updates (like the OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Update) don't break your ability to boot Yosemite:
  1. prerequisite: an installed and working OS X Yosemite system with Pike's boot.efi
  2. install the PikeYoseFix script
  3. reboot twice as the second boot is when the PikeYoseFix script is fully installed and executes!
Once the PikeYoseFix script is installed, it does not need to be installed again and it should be safe to install future OS X updates. It automatically runs at every system shutdown re-copying Pike's boot.efi to the proper locations just in case something like an OS X update overwrote it.

If you don't have PikeYoseFix script installed, or if you have OS X installed on a Fusion drive where the PikeYoseFix script doesn't work properly, you should disable "Install OS X updates" and "Install system data files and security updates" in System Preferences > App Store so that OS X doesn't automatically install any future updates that may overwrite Pike's boot.efi.

Lastly, if Pike's boot.efi boot loader was overwritten after an OS X update because you didn't take the precaution of installing the PikeYoseFix script, and you have a folder with question mark on boot, here is a link to instructions on how to restore Pike's boot.efi to restore the ability to boot.

If you find Pike's boot loader valuable in keeping your 2006/2007 Mac up-to-date, please consider donating to him as a thank you and to encourage future continued development. He's had a tough time with hardware and been developing all this time without access to an actual 2006/2007 Mac Pro! His donation page is in euros, where €20 is around $23 USD, and PayPal will show the actual conversion used at time of donation. I know any amount is highly appreciated.

Even if you don't donate, you may consider simply thanking him via a comment on his blog, as he's done a lot of work without asking for anything in return or benefiting from this project. Thanks Pike!

How can these Macs run Yosemite?

Apple does not support OS X Yosemite on the original 2006/2007 Mac Pro and 2006 Xserve. These 64-bit Mac Pros and Xserves have EFI32 firmware and can't natively boot OS X Yosemite "out-of-the-box", but are easily capable of running it with a different boot loader. Once a new boot loader is used to launch the native 64-bit Yosemite kernel, OS X 10.10 boots and works normally exactly as it does on a 2008 Mac Pro or newer with EFI64 firmware.

Background:

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was the first OS X version with optional support for a 64-bit kernel, allowing booting either with a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel. However, Apple did not support booting the 64-bit kernel in Macs that shipped with EFI32 firmware, even if they had 64-bit processors capable of running the 64-bit kernel. When Apple dropped the 32-bit kernel entirely from OS X, starting with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, EFI32 Macs no longer had an Apple-supported mechanism to boot newer OS X versions.

The last version of OS X officially supported by Apple on the original 2006 Mac Pro MA356LL/A (MacPro1,1), 2007 Mac Pro (8-core) MA1186/A (MacPro2,1) and Xserve (Late 2006) MA409LL/A (Xserve1,1) models was OS X 10.7 Lion, and then only when booted with a 32-bit kernel due to their EFI32 firmware. However, these Macs were the most powerful and upgradable EFI32 models and have a 64-bit architecture, so the user community has been keeping them running with 64-bit kernels and newer OS X releases using a variety of methods.

Two approaches that can be used to boot OS X 10.10 Yosemite on unsupported Mac Pro models:

Piker-Alpha bootloader
(preferred approach)

This method, a fork of tiamo’s bootloader, uses a replacement native EFI32 boot.efi boot loader that thunks EFI64 calls from the 64-bit OS X kernel to the EFI32 firmware.

Additional information about Pike's boot.efi is available at Pike's blog, Universum. There are two variations available, one with a legacy light grey background/dark grey Apple logo boot screen boot.efi that blends with the native EFI32 pre-boot screen (2008-2012 Mac Pro-style), and a new black background/white Apple logo boot screen boot.efi (2013 Mac Pro-style).

With Pike's boot.efi, holding Command-R to start the OS X Recovery System that gets installed with Yosemite is supported, although holding Option/Alt at boot and selecting the "Recovery HD" may not work until the OS X install image in the Recovery system is updated with Pike's boot loader. 2006/2007 Mac Pros do not support Internet Recovery.

After an initial report of failure booting from a Fusion Drive, there has since been a report of success so Fusion Drives may have to be created manually before installing Yosemite.

While this method is preferred because it's a native EFI boot, there is some risk is that installing future Yosemite updates could overwrite Pike's EFI32 boot.efi if Apple were to update the stock EFI64 boot.efi. This would be unusual, but it has happened in a few previous OS X updates and is the case with the 10.10.2 update. If this were to happen, the system would no longer be natively bootable on a 2006/2007 Mac Pro until it had Apple's stock boot.efi replaced with Pike's boot.efi again. A simple approach to help protect against this is PikeYoseFix, a launch daemon that re-copies the EFI32 boot.efi file to proper locations at shutdown.

Hackintosh” boot loader

This method uses a legacy mode (CSM) boot loader to load the stock 64-bit OS X kernel while emulating EFI NVRAM. Note that the Xserve doesn't support legacy/PC BIOS emulation mode, so it can't directly use this approach.

The Chameleon boot loader was used in MacEFIRom's original approach to booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro. Chameleon has since been updated to properly support the Yosemite kernel, and the Clover boot loader was always capable of booting Yosemite since it boots using the stock OS X boot.efi boot loader which in turn loads the Yosemite kernel. After an initial successful report here which used Clover, instructions were posted on how to use Clover to install and boot Yosemite DP1 along with an initial script. A full Mac Pro hardware configuration for Clover to support audio and the ODD SATA ports has been posted.

Booting with Chameleon/Clover is sometimes preferable in configurations with otherwise-unsupported hardware that needs to be initialized and usable in OS X, such as unsupported graphics cards or HDMI audio in certain situations.

Support for Handoff in Yosemite to allow AirDrop, Continuity and Instant Hotspot with iOS 8 devices:

The original Airport Extreme (802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi) and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR options from Apple don't support Handoff. Several vendors, including MacVidCards, sell new add-on hardware kits to retrofit older Mac Pros with 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 LE that work in 2006/2007 Mac Pros to allow Handoff. There have been reports of needing to sign out of iCloud and then sign in again after replacing WiFi and Bluetooth hardware to enable Handoff.

There has been a report of an OEM Bluetooth 2.0+EDR card causing a conflict with USB devices. If you experience issues with the built-in USB ports under Yosemite, you may also consider removing or upgrading your Bluetooth card.

In Yosemite, both phone calls and SMS from OS X with an iPhone work with a 2006/2007 Mac Pro and are not dependent on OS X Handoff support.

Unsupported original legacy graphics cards vs. Yosemite-supported graphics cards:

Yosemite does not include 64-bit kernel extension device drivers for the original NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, ATI Radeon X1900 XT, and NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 PCIe graphics cards that shipped with these Mac Pros, nor the ATI Radeon X1300 that shipped with the Xserve (Late 2006), so they do not work properly in Yosemite. These graphics cards display issues such as a very sluggish GUI with no QE/CI support, no framebuffer support (for DVD Player, Geekbench and other programs), graphics artifacts, mouse tearing, inability to change resolutions, bad refresh rates, and other system instabilities. If you need normal graphics support in Yosemite, you will need a newer PCIe graphics card, with popular options being the Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 MAC Edition, or many different options of stock and Mac-"flashed" PC cards.

Many, but not all, modern stock non-flashed PC graphics cards with AMD (for OpenCL/OpenGL support) or Nvidia chipsets (for CUDA/OpenCL/OpenGL support) work "plug and play" with Yosemite in 2006/2007 Mac Pros, although the display will remain off until after the OS X Desktop initializes. This means you won't see anything during the boot process.

Compatible properly-Mac-flashed PC cards offer two benefits over stock non-flashed PC cards: allowing a normal boot screen just like a Mac-specific graphics card, and better compatibility in OS X with the card's capabilities/performance/ports. Most, but not all, Mac-flashed ATI/AMD cards have EBC firmware that work in all PCIe-based 2006-2012 Mac Pro models with either EFI32 or EFI64. All newer Mac-flashed Nvidia cards have EFI64 firmware and will act like non-flashed PC cards with no boot screens in EFI32-based 2006/2007 Mac Pros, except for older Mac-flashed Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT/9800 GT/GT 120 cards with EFI32 firmware.
Note also that the 2006/2007 Mac Pro has PCIe 1.1 expansion slots, with the bottom double-wide slot capable of being configured to use a maximum 2.5 GT/s link speed when configured as a x16 lane graphics slot. Yosemite's Expansion Slot Utility, located in /System/Library/Core Services, supports the 2006-2007 Mac Pro to configure the number of lanes available in each slot. PCIe 2.0/3.0 cards that can run at 5.0 GT/s link speed in 2008-2012 Mac Pros can work in 2006/2007 Mac Pros, but only with a PCIe 1.1 maximum 2.5 GT/s link speed.

None of these options are officially supported in these Mac Pros by AMD, Apple, or Nvidia, but can work with either the Piker-Alpha or Chameleon/Clover boot loaders.

iMessage/FaceTime note:

Regardless of approach used, most users cannot initially login to iMessage or FaceTime using their Apple ID from their Mac Pro after installing Yosemite as a security precaution. When trying to login, they receive an iMessage Registration validation code. The solution is to contact Apple support, provide the Mac Pro's serial number, explain that Yosemite was installed and that iMessage isn't working and provide the validation code. Apple then unblocks the Mac Pro, allowing iMessage and FaceTime login immediately and in the future without other issues.
I own the exact computer. I was able to flash it to MacPro2,1 and upgrade to El Capitan. I would LOVE to help you, but I'm not the best candidate as I did this process quite some time ago and I'm a tad "rusty" on procedure. I want to assure you that it's TOTALLY achievable without too much effort. In addition to here, there are several YouTube™ folks that demonstrate. One I would recommend is, https://www.youtube.com/c/HrutkayMods/search?query=mac pro. The other thing I would recommend is additional memory and an SSD harddrive - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=mac+pro+2,1+memory&_sacat=0 I would put the maximum memory in. You can find 32GB of memory on eBay for $50 or so. You can do these things easily on your own.

SSD - https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/mac-pro/2006-2007

The SSD drive adds considerable speed to the system.

For very little money and a little bit of effort, you'll get it!

Non ti preoccupare... buona fortuna!
WOW!!! thank you sweetspud, that sounds great. I will go through all your suggestions, hoping to make it.
In case I have doubts, do you mind if I'll be back to you? In any case I'll let you know.
I feel positive about all this. Thanks a LOT for now! Paola

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hi Paola,
My name is Vincenzo and I am writing to you from Italy too.
Unfortunately, the process is not very simple ... first you need to upgrade the graphics card, which costs at least 100 euros, then you need to at least increase the RAM, you need at least 16GB.
Honestly, I am no longer following the situation whereby I do not know how much the RAM costs now but if we assume that we are on 50 euros, in the end with a cost of 150 euros you can get a Tablet.
I don't know what software they are using if Microsoft Teams, WebEx, Zoom, etc., but I can assure you that right now it is not worth the expense to upgrade the Mac Pro.
If you want more information write in private.

paolalinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
Hi Paola,
Unfortunately, the process is not very simple ... first you need to upgrade the graphics card, which costs at least 100 euros, then you need to at least increase the RAM, you need at least 16GB.
Honestly, I am no longer following the situation whereby I do not know how much the RAM costs now but if we assume that we are on 50 euros, in the end with a cost of 150 euros you can get a Tablet.
I don't know what software they are using if Microsoft Teams, WebEx, Zoom, etc., but I can assure you that right now it is not worth the expense to upgrade the Mac Pro.
Ciao Vincenzo, grazie.
Hi Paola,
Grazie Vincenzo,
come faccio a scriverti in privato?
Anche io sono a Roma. Non voglio acquistare un tablet, uso il mac per lavoro. Ho un mini del 2016 e il mac pro l'ho passato a mia figlia che ora per la didattica a distanza non riesce a usarlo perché non può aggiornare chrome bed altri programmi con cui si connettono, non essendo più supportato per gli upgrade il sistema operativo OSx 10.6.8 (fino al 10.8 chrome non permette più aggiornamenti). Poi ho scoperto la possibilità di uscire da questo tipo di obsolescenza e mi farebbe comodo avere una macchina ancora performante realmente utilizzabile anche in caso mi servisse - in emergenza - come fall back per lavoro. Questa pandemia ha tagliato il flusso di lavoro pesantemente e non mi va di acquistare uno strumento che non sia compatibile con l'uso che ne faccio (tablet ad esempio) nè posso investire tanto denaro per un altro mac. Se davvero fosse possibile far avanzare il mac pro tutto sommato sarebbe un buon rapporto costi/benefici in attesa di tempi migliori.
Se hai la possibilità/voglia, mandami un tuo contatto. Grazie mille :)

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
hello Paola, ciao.

Mavericks is only supported if you have a good enough graphics card to begin with and also a SSD is highly recommended.
if these conditions are met, i am willing to help you.
for 10.9 you need a better than stock graphics (7300gt) , and certainly for 10.10 Yosemite. If you don§t have an SSD, then it is not going to be a very pleasant experience, but it is doable.

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
your modell is more probably the 2006 model because the 2007 model is an octacore if i am not mistaken.
with the dualcore model it is already a bit weak - you could rather ask someone to help with upgrading the processor first - there are surely some mac shops in rome who can help you with that.
i have upgraded several times an macpro 1.1 to a 2.1 and it is an easy task if you have to proper tools. also there are bundles sold on ebay with processor and the tools/paste.
the dualcores from 2006 are quite weak nowadays but for basic tools they are ok.
in bocca al lupo.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Is there anybody who can explain to me step by step and clearly if I can upgrade to yosemite from SnowLeopard? what do I need and how to do the process? Thank to all of those who will help! Lots of Love ;-)

HARDWARE
1. Go to a PC junk shop, ask for a 2nd HDD which is still working. I got my 160GB HDD for 5EUR. You can get it for free if you have friends.
2. Buy an old PC graphic card. I got my AMD Radeon HD6670 for 15EUR (equivalent amount). You can get it for free if you have friends.
2. Turn off your Mac Pro (MP 1,1). Open the case and install it in your Mac Pro. Your Mac Pro has total 4 HDD cases.
3. Power on MP1,1. Open Disk Utility to format the HDD you just installed.

SOFTWARE ans instructions:

WARNING:
If your MacPro is still having the original video card. OSX El Capital (OSX 10.11.6) will be very laggy to the extent of unusable.

It's now time to replace the original video card with the PC graphic card you have just bought. With the PC card, you will lost the bootscreen, but you already have El Capitan and don't need it anyway.

For more details, read the guide in the below link. I followed that guide to upgrade my Mac Pro. I read it about 20 times before doing anything.

Reactions: SuperMatt

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Ciao Vincenzo, grazie.

Grazie Vincenzo,
come faccio a scriverti in privato?
Anche io sono a Roma. Non voglio acquistare un tablet, uso il mac per lavoro. Ho un mini del 2016 e il mac pro l'ho passato a mia figlia che ora per la didattica a distanza non riesce a usarlo perché non può aggiornare chrome bed altri programmi con cui si connettono, non essendo più supportato per gli upgrade il sistema operativo OSx 10.6.8 (fino al 10.8 chrome non permette più aggiornamenti). Poi ho scoperto la possibilità di uscire da questo tipo di obsolescenza e mi farebbe comodo avere una macchina ancora performante realmente utilizzabile anche in caso mi servisse - in emergenza - come fall back per lavoro. Questa pandemia ha tagliato il flusso di lavoro pesantemente e non mi va di acquistare uno strumento che non sia compatibile con l'uso che ne faccio (tablet ad esempio) nè posso investire tanto denaro per un altro mac. Se davvero fosse possibile far avanzare il mac pro tutto sommato sarebbe un buon rapporto costi/benefici in attesa di tempi migliori.
Se hai la possibilità/voglia, mandami un tuo contatto. Grazie mille :)

Hi Paola,
please write in English.
I wrote you a message privately .. let's hear them so we don't disturb the forum
Let's say you can easily update your Mac Pro but I don't know how much it actually suits you.
You have to buy a graphics card compatible with the Mac Pro which costs at least 100 euros.
Then you have to buy an SSD because it makes everything faster and there are 100 euros too.
In doing so you are at 200 euros.
In my opinion, if you need it only for distance learning, a tablet with an Android system will convince you that you can buy it with 100/150 euros.
However, let's talk privately and talk about it openly.
Vincenzo

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hi Paola,
please write in English.
I wrote you a message privately .. let's hear them so we don't disturb the forum
Let's say you can easily update your Mac Pro but I don't know how much it actually suits you.
You have to buy a graphics card compatible with the Mac Pro which costs at least 100 euros.
Then you have to buy an SSD because it makes everything faster and there are 100 euros too.
In doing so you are at 200 euros.
In my opinion, if you need it only for distance learning, a tablet with an Android system will convince you that you can buy it with 100/150 euros.
However, let's talk privately and talk about it openly.
Vincenzo

Add 150EUR and you can buy a brand new iPad with 1 year warranty, saving you from a headache of installing uncompatible parts to a very old machine.

res6jya6

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2014
Hey guys! Running a Mac Pro 1,1 w/ the 2,1 Firmware Update - Official Apple ATI Radeon HD 5770, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, and 2 2.66Ghz Quad Core X5355s.

I upgraded the processors myself (twice now, actually, after an E5320 Quad Core upgrade) but I've noticed that while using iStatMenus there is usually a 1-2degree/celsius difference between the two processors... one is currently running at 29C and the other at 31C. I realize that these aren't high, and even under maximum load they usually only touch about 41/42C. I'm mostly just curious if I botched something (thermal paste, air flow) that would result in this slight temperature variance between the two processors or if it's completely normal?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I see a 2-3° difference in cMP 1,1>2,1 I manage for a client. The heatsink s vary by 3-5°. But that’s fine - that’s a small difference. Could be airflow due to them being in slightly different positions etc.

My cMP 4,1>5,1 and 5,1 models all have much more of a difference.

Reactions: res6jya6

jonnyice

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
I recently checked in on my MacPro and realized I didn't quite make it to El Capitan/10.11. Is there a safe way to do that? Not sure I have the stomach to go through the process from the beginning again :). This is my current setup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.14.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.14.15 AM.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 87

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Have you looked at the Mac Pro El Capitan thread? I haven't had to do this for a while as my system has been running well since I installed it a couple of years ago. So yes, it can be done, just check the system requirements for RAM and size of modules in particular. RTHPJM is very knowledgeable, so look for his instructions.

Reactions: rthpjm

res6jya6

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2014
Greetings all!

While it's been great using the Mac Pro 1,1 with El Capitan - I too am retiring it (re-gifting it I suppose) as I came across a 2010 Mac Pro for $200 and two GTX 680s for $75 a piece and have switched to using that entirely.
Many thanks to Pike and all others who kept this machine running as long as it has!

Methanoid

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Restored the Yosemite image and booted to selection screen with Alt. Select USB and it starts and does nothing (been 20m). I can't change GPU from 7300gt until after I have installed or I won't see the boot selection screen.

Any tips how to get it working?

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
you could try to replace the boot.efi manually, can download it here first;
if you have no other operating system to boot from, you could try do it via target mode from another mac.

navegate to
/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

in terminal :
sudo chflags nouchg /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

replace with downloaded boot.efi the boot.efi in System Folder

in terminal
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

navegate to
/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

again drag and replace boot.efi

seen here
htt://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6tSGUzZYQ

Last edited:

Methanoid

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
ThanKS. I got it running adding a GT740 and swapping card outputs. I've now got it dual booting with Win10 too and a HD7850 on the way to flash for use. Lots of fun

Methanoid

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Using Netkas forum tool to modify a Rom was surprisingly easy. Was more a PITA to install JDK8.

I tested my HD7870 (bought one at a good price) and pre-overclocked it too

Also on my Win10 install I tried the NimeZ drivers. Machine should be rather good now

Danno27

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
I'm trying this AGAIN. It worked years ago and I want to try it again for some reason. I downloaded the patched version and it fails. Apple says my Mac isn't authorized to install Yosemite.

I try the boot.ini method and I get as far as extracting the kernel into the Kernel directory that I was instructed to make.

Pacifist says the file doesn't exist. Not sure where to go from here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 9.36.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 9.36.30 PM.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 43

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
I'm trying this AGAIN. It worked years ago and I want to try it again for some reason. I downloaded the patched version and it fails. Apple says my Mac isn't authorized to install Yosemite.

I try the boot.ini method and I get as far as extracting the kernel into the Kernel directory that I was instructed to make.

Pacifist says the file doesn't exist. Not sure where to go from here.

As your MP is still working. I would suggest you download a full image of El-Capitan and restore it to one new HDD/SSD. It was much simpler and easier that way for me.

Last edited:

Danno27

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
I just installed a fresh copy of Lion on a 1 TB Sata SSD. Have snow leopard server on a separate HDD which I'm leaving alone. So I'll try to upgrade to El-Capitan from that. Thanks for your reply. I know its an old thread and wasn't sure if anybody would reply.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.