Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Samsung's new motto: If you can't beat 'em, bash 'em.

I'm happy to see Samsung wasting lots of money on advertising that simply confirms that Apple is the standard the imitators are trying to beat. Android might have the market share, but Apple has the loyal customers, the reputation and the $$$.

----------

I don't know about anybody else, but the kid looks crossed eye when he's watching the samsung tablet... If that product has that effect on people... they can keep it.

And yes, when I'm with a bunch of bros, I like to watch the same movie on my iPad instead of my tv! Make perfect sense!

Oh I didn't even bother watching it...

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
The problem with these adverts is that iPad/iPhone users are being labeled by Samsung as idiots. Would I buy any product of a company that called me stupid? No!
On the other hand I have never really be tempted to buy a Samsung device as they don't support iOS or OS X. They do however miss out on selling me a washing machine, fridge, microwave, vacuum cleaner, monitor or TV.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Cause Mac VS PC commercial worked so well for apple! :D

Big difference. PC was the funny human guy. And it was pretty good-natured. And true enough in most people's experience that the ads and the iPod and iMac were bringing people in. PC still owns the market, there's just rivals.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Good ad. Honestly, i don't like Sammy too much but all companies seem to poke fun at each other. Don't see why we should care if they're bashing (apple included) the competition, not like we made the product. Were just the consumer. And it's funny because it's true.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I'm bookmarking this topic for the day apple releases split screen multitasking (as they are rumored to be releasing later this year, early next year)

I don't own a Windows Surface tablet but know of a few people who do, it's a handy feature to have, Samsung just did a poor representation of it in the ad.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
yet they fail miserably in sales compared to the single-tasker And supposedly not-so-great-resolution iPad ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can you share what this data point proves? Are you suggesting that sales is the measure of a great product and less sales proves an inferior product?

If so, I believe Lamborghini, Rolex, the OS X development team, and the Mac hardware team do not agree with you.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Sure, two different people watching two different video streams (who gets the audio?) is a totally realistic scenario.

That is why it has stereo sound, the right channel has the audio for one video stream and the right channel for the other. And that is why the sell a black divider add-on so that each person only sees one half of the screen. [/scarcasm]

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Isn't a tablet supposed to be a personal device?

Why don't just get everyone their own tablet?
After all, it's a personal device!
Just like you don't share your toothbrush, your phone and tablet are personal devices.
The baby can get the previous model to watch his movies; or even better, why not teach the baby that he can't always get what he wants? The baby in this video is going to grow into a spoiled brat very quickly!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good ad. Honestly, i don't like Sammy too much but all companies seem to poke fun at each other. Don't see why we should care if they're bashing (apple included) the competition, not like we made the product. Were just the consumer. And it's funny because it's true.

The problem is they are bashing Apple *customers* more than Apple products, if you really think about it. Think of Apple's ads were families are having a great time, laughing and smiling, and then there's Samsung's ad where the dad can't keep his kid from crying... which one leaves that lasting impression? Is it a scare tactic creating fear in young parents, telling them that they need to have a split-screen tablet to keep their kids happy? Sad ads.... poor taste.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011

well that ad was funny and witty... it was good natured poke at the competitor and apple was able to really differentiate itself from a pc...

but these ads by samsung are nothing close to that..

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I hope the rumored multitasking features come to the iPad. It would be great to snap a twitter feed or something to watching sports (similar to xbox).

Sure, two different people watching two different video streams (who gets the audio?) is a totally realistic scenario.

Did you even watch the video?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Mac vs PC worked because Mac was the underdog. No one can say Samsung is the underdog in the mobile devices space. Seems to me though they're wasting $$ going after Apple. It doesn't appear that it's generated much loyalty to the Samsung brand.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm bookmarking this topic for the day apple releases split screen multitasking (as they are rumored to be releasing later this year, early next year)

I don't own a Windows Surface tablet but know of a few people who do, it's a handy feature to have, Samsung just did a poor representation of it in the ad.

I think we can all agree that split-screen would be very handy, particularly during a video call and needing to use another app during the call.

These ads are preying on the uneducated to win them over. Really distasteful and desperate, imo.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The problem with these adverts is that iPad/iPhone users are being labeled by Samsung as idiots. Would I buy any product of a company that called me stupid? No!
On the other hand I have never really be tempted to buy a Samsung device as they don't support iOS or OS X. They do however miss out on selling me a washing machine, fridge, microwave, vacuum cleaner, monitor or TV.

That's right, it's converts they want. People coming from iPhone. In ad terms, the PC ads insulted the platform, but Mr. PC was very funny. You could, during that time, see one of those Mac vs PC ads, and watch a pretty girl with an iPod, and wonder what an iMac would be like, or one of those MacBooks. Yes, there are some people so attached to Windows (especially then) so tightly that those ads made them angry. "I've never had a problem with malware! And there are viruses on Macs too," they'd say, technically correct but existentially wrong. Still a very secure platform. The Mac vs. PC ads came after the jolt of the iMac and that spurt, but the difficulty they had selling more than about 6% of the market. It got over 10. It was funny, and it got you looking more seriously at Mac. No serious people used to have Macs, remember? Just artists and stuff.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
A typical iPad Dad would give his kid his old iPad. Problem solved :cool:

Basically what I did only I didn't get a new iPad to replace it. My iPad became the family iPad and I use my iPhone or MacBook mostly. I just don't see a point to getting a new iPad.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
This is honestly the worst commercial I've ever seen. Who shares an iPad with their infant?
Indeed -- my son glommed onto ours and won't let us near it, sharing would never happen.

I predict that tablets will continue to experience creeping featurism until they effectively become laptops, then someone will come out with the new idea of a "lean" tablet and the cycle will start again.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I want Apple to make a commercial showing how easy TouchID is to use compared to Samsung's swipe method.

I've seen numerous video showing the Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner... and they all have to hold the phone with one hand and carefully slide the finger straight down with the other hand. You can use your finger at another angle... but it's something you have to set up ahead of time... and pray that it works consistently.

In contrast... I can pull my iPhone out of my pocket with my thumb on the home button... and the phone is unlocked before it's all the way up. Any angle works. And I didn't have to set it up that way.

Then again... Apple doesn't usually make commercials about individual features... they tend to focus on benefits of the entire device.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Just curious which Apple ad (since Mac vs PC which ended in 2009) bashed the competition? I'm specifically talking about ads not something said in a keynote.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Great ad that highlights the issues with the current iPad. I'm just hoping that Apple sees this and reacts upon it as well, my iPad 2 is still waiting for something that would be a worthy replacement.

dMgfOrrEal

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the comments above prove how immature some Apple fans are. Don't get me wrong: I love Apple products and think their premium prices deserve their qualities but I don't trash talk against its competitors.

Shame on you.

I also don't want to see the monopoly of a single tech company, as a consumer. More competition makes consumers happier and makes prices reasonable.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
This is honestly the worst commercial I've ever seen. Who shares an iPad with their infant? Why doesn't he watch the sports on the TV or the baby watch the show on the TV? If you have two shows on one device not only is that going to kill the battery, one of them will have no sound. Stupidest commercial I have ever seen :confused::(:apple:

Why do people take pictures with their iPads? Some people like their cucumbers pickled

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.