Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Extant premiered last night. It was pretty good, but I get the feeling it's going to be a very slow unraveling, much like Resurrection. I don't know if its a show I want to watch every week, or wait til the season ends and then watch all the episodes in rapid succession.

Also, during the airing of Extant last night, there was a commercial for a Netflix series called Hemlock Grove. I hadn't heard of this before, even though S1 started last year, but anything with Famke Janssen piques my interest. Has anyone seen this?

I watched Tyrant today, after hearing rave reviews from a couple friends. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed. The story has some potential, but it's fairly predictable and didn't really capture my interest. The acting is not that great either, kinda superficial. I think some people would like the show for its "political realities" and whatnot, but I'm just not feeling it. I turned it off midway through the second episode.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Extant premiered last night. It was pretty good, but I get the feeling it's going to be a very slow unraveling, much like Resurrection. I don't know if its a show I want to watch every week, or wait til the season ends and then watch all the episodes in rapid succession.

Also, during the airing of Extant last night, there was a commercial for a Netflix series called Hemlock Grove. I hadn't heard of this before, even though S1 started last year, but anything with Famke Janssen piques my interest. Has anyone seen this?

I watched Tyrant today, after hearing rave reviews from a couple friends. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed. The story has some potential, but it's fairly predictable and didn't really capture my interest. The acting is not that great either, kinda superficial. I think some people would like the show for its "political realities" and whatnot, but I'm just not feeling it. I turned it off midway through the second episode.

I caught Extant (CBS) tonight after recording it. It's an interesting story with a setting in the future, a mysterious premise, with a Steven Spielberg A.I. robot child thrown into the mix about a female astronaut who comes home after a 13 month solo mission, pregnant. A former astronaut who is supposed to have committed suicide after his mission appears to warn her. Most intriguing is that the name Extant in the credits, starts as "Extinct" before morphing into "Extant". I'll watch more. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm honestly starting to lose interest in Dominion on SyFy. I can't wait to see The Strain, that looks great.

I've got this set up to record although if it is what I think it is, am starting to get fatigued with "zombie/28 Days Later" style plots.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Good Show...or greatest show?

Seen it once, dying to watch it again. Just started yesterday.

the-wire.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've been wanting to watch that show for years. Is it worth the time investment?

The Wire is pretty spectacular, I’d say yes, and if you’ve got it via an existing service (HBOGO for example), it’s almost a no brainer :)

All the seasons are very good, S5 (the last) ties up a few things, ends a little weak, only 10 EPs and they felt a little rushed. Season 3 is one of the greatest seasons of TV ever produced, though there seems to be more praise for S4 we’d rank it under S3 simple due to a main character not being as engaged.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
The Wire is pretty spectacular, I’d say yes, and if you’ve got it via an existing service (HBOGO for example), it’s almost a no brainer :)

All the seasons are very good, S5 (the last) ties up a few things, ends a little weak, only 10 EPs and they felt a little rushed. Season 3 is one of the greatest seasons of TV ever produced, though there seems to be more praise for S4 we’d rank it under S3 simple due to a main character not being as engaged.

I have the dvd box set, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Shame on me...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'll do my best- I'm just so busy these days, it's hard to start a series. I'm waiting until things slow down a bit

I credit The Wire, Breaking Bad, True Detective, and Sopranos as the series that broke network television for me. You can't watch a procedural police show after watching The Wire. The Wire is just so much more real.

Acerone

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
The Leftovers on HBO.... It's a little boring so I'll give it a few more weeks....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.