Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We just started Boardwalk Empire (via HBOGO, so the full 4 seasons are available). The final season start Sept 7th, so we’re going to catch up and watch that in “real time” :)

Fantastic so far, if you’re a fan of the Sopranos, the Godfather movies (er, 1 and 2 that is...), mob/gangster/Scorsese films, it’s a definite watch. It’s a period drama, set in the 20s, mostly around Atlantic City (so far, some action in Chicago too), many characters are actual historic figures/mobsters - beautifully shot, brilliant acting. Highly recommended.

I hear that True Blood is pretty good this season.

Hahaha, actually it’s pretty terrible. I’m not talking the good kind of terrible that TB has always been, talking WTF are they doing sort of terrible. Pointless flashbacks, meaningless major character deaths, strange side plots some of which are so wacky, you _have_ to think the writers are laughing their asses off:

“Hey, let’s have the Yakuza attack a Republican convention!”
“Why?”
“Why not!!”

The only redeeming plot elements are Eric and Pam - seriously, we need a whole hour of only them with 80’s flashbacks ...

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The only redeeming plot elements are Eric and Pam - seriously, we need a whole hour of only them with 80’s flashbacks ...

My wife LOVES Pam! She practically giggles every time she's on screen. Her dry attitude and wit are totally hilarious. I agree that the 80's flashbacks are super funny. It was so much fun seeing the creation/evolution of "Fangtasia". :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A couple of shows that I thoroughly enjoy watching are Through the Wormhole, with Morgan Freeman, and How the Universe Works. I have a bunch of episodes on the DVR and am going through them.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My wife LOVES Pam! She practically giggles every time she's on screen. Her dry attitude and wit are totally hilarious. I agree that the 80's flashbacks are super funny. It was so much fun seeing the creation/evolution of "Fangtasia". :D

Mine does too, we both do, we’ve got a mutual crush on her :D She’s always been one of the best parts of the shows - that flashback where they introduced Ginger (with Pam) was probably the best scene in this whole season! :D

"Do you know what a sex slave is without the sex?”
“A slave.”

"You are never gonna guess what I found.”
“Is it a ****** chair?”

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
We just started Boardwalk Empire (via HBOGO, so the full 4 seasons are available). The final season start Sept 7th, so we’re going to catch up and watch that in “real time” :)

Fantastic so far, if you’re a fan of the Sopranos, the Godfather movies (er, 1 and 2 that is...), mob/gangster/Scorsese films, it’s a definite watch. It’s a period drama, set in the 20s, mostly around Atlantic City (so far, some action in Chicago too), many characters are actual historic figures/mobsters - beautifully shot, brilliant acting. Highly recommended.

Hahaha, actually it’s pretty terrible. I’m not talking the good kind of terrible that TB has always been, talking WTF are they doing sort of terrible. Pointless flashbacks, meaningless major character deaths, strange side plots some of which are so wacky, you _have_ to think the writers are laughing their asses off:

“Hey, let’s have the Yakuza attack a Republican convention!”
“Why?”
“Why not!!”

Boardwalk is one of my favorites. One downside though is now when I see Steve Buscemi on TV, I say "Hey, it's Nucky!". I think they picked a good time to end the series as it'll end a little early rather than dragging too long

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Has anyone been watching "The Leftovers"? I see ads for it here and there, and it look interesting, and a little creepy. Any opinions?

Acerone

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
I agree. This kind of show's purpose is mystery and intrigue. It's possible they are taking their time setting up an event or revelation.

The part in the woods was good. Kind of creeped me out. And I think, if the show goes in that direction I would be hooked...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Re: The Leftovers. I'm a couple of weeks behind on this show. I'll catch up this week. :)

When that show ends every week, I put on Titanic to lighten the mood.

My latest interest:
luther-third-season.2774.jpg

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Everything that I am watching now:

The Wire (HBO), Season 4
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix), Season 1
Tyrant (FX), Season 1
Married (FX), Season 1
True Detective (HBO), Season 1
Faking It (MTV), Season 1
The Bridge (FX), Season 2
Halt and Catch Fire (AMC), Season 1
Entourage (HBO), Season 1
Masters of Sex (Showtime), Season 1
The Strain (FX), Season 1

----------

Seen it once, dying to watch it again. Just started yesterday.

One of the best shows ever. I'm stuck on Season 4 which is just purely difficult and heartbreaking to watch. I will take me until next year to finish it off completely.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Boardwalk is one of my favorites. One downside though is now when I see Steve Buscemi on TV, I say "Hey, it's Nucky!". I think they picked a good time to end the series as it'll end a little early rather than dragging too long

Holy smokes, it’s fantastic so far. We finished Season2, Episode 07 (of 12) “Peg of Old” last night, and will probably watch a few today.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just finished the first episode of Manhattan (2014) on WGN from this past weekend.
Set against the backdrop of the greatest clandestine race against time in the history of science with the mission to build the world's first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Flawed scientists and their families attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.

It was pretty good and I enjoyed it. Plenty of topical drama and engagement to the show. I'm looking for the the next episode and the series.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 5.44.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 5.44.18 PM.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 142

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I watched the first episode of The Strain. I know people were anticipating the premiere a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard much about it since. Honestly, from what I saw, I didn't like it.

Extant has been decent. Some twists are forming, and it's becoming interesting.

Welcome To Sweden has also been pretty decent. A few laughs here and there. Not bad, but not great either.

Those two and Covert Affairs on USA pretty much wrap up my summer TV viewing. Although, I saw previews for Manhattan, which premiered a few days ago. Might check it out.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I watched the first episode of The Strain. I know people were anticipating the premiere a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard much about it since. Honestly, from what I saw, I didn't like it.

Extant has been decent. Some twists are forming, and it's becoming interesting.

Welcome To Sweden has also been pretty decent. A few laughs here and there. Not bad, but not great either.

Those two and Covert Affairs on USA pretty much wrap up my summer TV viewing. Although, I saw previews for Manhattan, which premiered a few days ago. Might check it out.

I have The Strain still waiting for me to watch on the DVR, but I don't know when I'll get to it.

I really enjoyed Manhattan, and think you might too.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I have The Strain still waiting for me to watch on the DVR, but I don't know when I'll get to it.

I really enjoyed Manhattan, and think you might too.

You should really see The Strain. Very suspenseful and of course, campy in a good way. Eph is a good old fashioned hero dude.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You should really see The Strain. Very suspenseful and of course, campy in a good way. Eph is a good old fashioned hero dude.

Yeah, you know, there’s quite a few good things about it (especially if you’re a fan of the genre). Nicely shot, intriguing “re-imagining”, the leads at the CDC (and “the other” organization) are solid, some fun very black humor. I’m even OK with some of the less-than-logical bits since we’ve got people dealing with something pretty alien.

Some of the dialog (and resulting characterizations) though, yikes. The woman attorney? Holy smokes, I don’t know if she’s a competent actor, but I don’t think Meryl Streep could deliver her lines and make it sounds like they weren’t written by a 13 year old boy. I also “get” the need to build some family backstory with the leads, and I don’t need non-stop horror-action (I enjoy the down time in TWD for example...), but between the dialog, Eph’s wife (bad writing or not, she’s a terrible actor) the show just drops anchor during his family scenes.

Overall we like it. Maybe a 6-7/10, but it gets a point or two for being a genre we enjoy :)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I agree with you there but the hyperkinetic freaky violence and odd incidents a la Pan's Labyrinth's and del Toro's involvement makes me happy to catch The Strain in small doses.

It's obviously not The Wire but it's a good campy show with a B movie flair.

Yeah, you know, there’s quite a few good things about it (especially if you’re a fan of the genre). Nicely shot, intriguing “re-imagining”, the leads at the CDC (and “the other” organization) are solid, some fun very black humor. I’m even OK with some of the less-than-logical bits since we’ve got people dealing with something pretty alien.

Some of the dialog (and resulting characterizations) though, yikes. The woman attorney? Holy smokes, I don’t know if she’s a competent actor, but I don’t think Meryl Streep could deliver her lines and make it sounds like they weren’t written by a 13 year old boy. I also “get” the need to build some family backstory with the leads, and I don’t need non-stop horror-action (I enjoy the down time in TWD for example...), but between the dialog, Eph’s wife (bad writing or not, she’s a terrible actor) the show just drops anchor during his family scenes.

Overall we like it. Maybe a 6-7/10, but it gets a point or two for being a genre we enjoy :)

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Has anyone seen any of season two of Bates Motel? I watched the first season in like three days, but I'm waiting for the dvd releases for season two. Any impressions?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Has anyone seen any of season two of Bates Motel? I watched the first season in like three days, but I'm waiting for the dvd releases for season two. Any impressions?

Yep, it’s excellent. Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore continue to be pretty fabulous, the story has careened around into some new territory, the backstory continues to evolve (and get crazier).

I was originally a holdout on this, the wife had watched the whole first season with the exception of the finale, and had kind of glossed over a few EPs too.

But, she left it on the DVR, so before she made it to the finale, she mentioned to me about watching it from the beginning (about 2 months after S1 ended), and I did and got hooked! So we watched S2 in “real time”, and were stoked to hear it was picked up for a 3rd and likely 4th season.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Yep, it’s excellent. Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore continue to be pretty fabulous, the story has careened around into some new territory, the backstory continues to evolve (and get crazier).

I was originally a holdout on this, the wife had watched the whole first season with the exception of the finale, and had kind of glossed over a few EPs too.

But, she left it on the DVR, so before she made it to the finale, she mentioned to me about watching it from the beginning (about 2 months after S1 ended), and I did and got hooked! So we watched S2 in “real time”, and were stoked to hear it was picked up for a 3rd and likely 4th season.

I think both Farmiga and Highmore displayed absolutely wonderful performances. I am very excited for season two, but I only do DVDs. That way I can splurge and watch 6 episodes at once, and then have the classy dvds. (Which will soon be outdated)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.