Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

court

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
So I noticed that my left speaker doesn't work and worse than that...when I plug in speakers, it does the same thing. One speaker (usually the left side) doesn't work!!!! When I take it into my apple store will they have to take it somewhere to have it fixed???? OR...can they fix it there??

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
This seems to be a bug in Tiger, it has happened several times to me, and once or twice to my friend with a Powerbook...the balance is off in the System Preferences. Go into the Sound preference pane, select Output, and set the balance to the middle. Ta-da!:cool:

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I have the same problem on my ibook every once in a while. Its kinda annoying sometimes. Maybe apple will fix this in 10.4.4

court

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
OutThere said:
This seems to be a bug in Tiger, it has happened several times to me, and once or twice to my friend with a Powerbook...the balance is off in the System Preferences. Go into the Sound preference pane, select Output, and set the balance to the middle. Ta-da!:cool:

This didn't work.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
court said:
This didn't work.

Hmm...that's strange. I can't think of any reason why both the speakers and the headphone jack would be effected by a problem like that, unless it was in the core of the audio processing part of the computer...unless someone else has a better idea, taking it to an Apple store might be a good idea.

court

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
GeeYouEye said:
try zapping the PRAM (cmnd-option-p-r at startup until the third chime) then reset the balance.

Thank you! I'm glad I asked because it was really bothering me.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
My powermac switches the balance to the left every so often. I'm also using Tiger. Does anyone know why this happens or how to stop it?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
my 12" PowerBook also slams the balance to the far left pretty often. seems to happen when i adjust the volume using the keyboard volume buttons. here is something puzzling though; if i have System Preferences open to the audio out balance pane, it won't do it. i decided i would try to watch it happen, guess it doesn't like to be watched.

cloubren

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2006
I thought the epocolypse was coming.

Wow, thank god for this forum.

My speaker on my iBook G4 cut out the left channel completely between two songs in iTunes, at first I thought it was my sterio because it's an older set that has fragile wiring. Then I diconnected the Y Cable from the minijack and the iBook speaker wasen't working I almost went crazy.

I called Apple Canada and the lady was all "Well, your 90 day telephone warrenty is up, it'll cost you 59$ CND"

Then I found this 2nd from the top search on google for "ibook speaker dosent work"

Thank god... I was thinking about sending it in for repair, and being without it. I really hope Apple fixes this in a later patch or update maybe we should tell them about it they may not know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.