Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm sure he was joking, although I'm really excited for it. It's great to finally have an Apple product coming that really has no leaks. I used to love the original iPhone and such releases, because it was all a surprise. Now everyone knows what it's going to look like even if you don't frequent sites like this.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Surely though there are two types of watch buyers? The practical ones who will love the iWatch but then theres the "showey" types who use a watch like wearing a necklace. Apple may make a high class iWatch but then people who buy these "showey" watches surely don't want a watch everyone else has?

I think High end watch companies are safe, its the middle range ones who are "in trouble".

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
That's just crazy talk. I personally wouldn't consider over $500 for either an iWatch or a 'fancy' watch. Ideally, I'd like to have both.

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
For a quiet guy, that's pretty bold.

And although I doubt it would be the case, and if he actually said this, it is still exciting to see some body talk it up.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
kinda different markets

traditional watches are jewelry that can be handed down generations.

Any watch apple makes will be obsolete after the next revision, or within a couple years.

"This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches."

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ROLF hahahahahahahaha what a total idiot hahahahaha

Yeah Jony, I am 100% certain the entire Swiss watch industry will be shaking in their boots with the iwatch announcement :rolleyes:

Makes me feel ashamed to be British that stupid comment does.

Hmm he has come out on record and said this? More like Apple are in trouble then to make a claim like that, since when have they done this....

EDIT:::

Ah I see, it was APPARENTLY said by Jony internally... faith restored in that case, fair enough if he wants to gloat like an utter tool like that in private, but for a moment I did think he stated it publically!

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Rolex is operating out of Switzerland so we are positively screwed price wise. Would have felt better if he said Casio and Rolex are screwed.
And what's stopping Rolex (and others) from making a Android Wear smartwatch? Apple best "watch" its step!

What is and what will continue to stop them is attitude, the capability to adapt, and the leadership and resources to do so.

Apple has been at it for almost three decades. Once the iPhone appeared, so did Apple's ecosystem. That didn't just happen.

Has any other company been similarly occupied? NO.

The Swiss watch industry may very well be going the way of the buggy whip, as a result.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
"This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches."
Brilliant. If I could do a passable Walken impression, I would learn this whole monologue and perform it at parties. The best. Thanks for the mood brightener!

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
People that buy $10,000-$50,000 watches aren't going to not buy them because of Apple.

There was an interview with one of the luxury watch vendors CEO back when the first digital watches came out in the 70's. The interviewer asked about the threatening competition from digital watches, and the CEO gave back the answer "We're not in the watch business. We're in the Jewelry business."

The Swiss watchmakers have nothing to worry about.

You sound like Ballmer's reaction to the iPhone and iPad. Arrogance. Look what happened to him and to Microsoft.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lmao. Oh (s)!! Jony talking crap...man, this Apple event is about to be amazing!!

nigerson

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
If Johnny Ive thinks that people buy high end watches aka
"Switzerland" are going to stop buying Rolexes, Breitlings or even Tag-Heuer for a iWatch then he's in trouble. People don't buy those watches for function. I think Apple may be clueless on this one. How many women wear smart-watches?

Anyone in the medical field wears a watch for function, and a lot of people buy expensive watches due to the reliability that they stand for.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Of course he's going to hype it up.... He's not going to say "well, yea, the iWatch is great of course, but still doesn't match the style of the Swiss...".

People who are going to buy Smartwatches are _mostly_ a different market to those who want a dress watch.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
People that buy $10,000-$50,000 watches aren't going to not buy them because of Apple.

There was an interview with one of the luxury watch vendors CEO back when the first digital watches came out in the 70's. The interviewer asked about the threatening competition from digital watches, and the CEO gave back the answer "We're not in the watch business. We're in the Jewelry business."

The Swiss watchmakers have nothing to worry about.

You should not just read the first paragraph of an article--you might miss the point. The interview you cite happened on the eve of the "Quartz Crisis" of the 1970s, which reduced the Swiss watch industry by over 60%. The interview is cited as an example of business myopia. It actually supports exactly the opposite of the point you seem to be trying to make. :p

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002

Not necessarily true. You can only (reasonably) wear one watch at a time, whether it is a smart watch or a high end luxury fashion item. If the former is compelling enough, you won't be buying the latter, even if they're in different product categories.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I love my Omega and Rolex so I hope the iWatch is more like an accessory than actually a watch. Sorry Jony, but I don't see myself dropping my two Swiss favorites for a digital gadget no matter how cool it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.