Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenDice

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Amazon just drop their price on the 12" iBook to $799 after $100 rebate. I wonder if the rumors about the Intel iBook are indeed true. Or they are just trying to sell more iBook.

themacmaestro

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2005
I would think they are trying to clear inventory. As for what reason other than they have to many, who knows.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
I would guess thety are just trying to move them before the holidays. Although it could mean intel books are right around the corner....:cool:

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
That's what I paid just recently for my daughter's refurb 1.33 GHz current model 12"iBook.

Hard to turn down a great little machine for that price.

The only drawback to the stock ibook is that 40GB HD doesn't leave you much to work with.

Unless you wipe and re-install the OS before you get rolling, the default
factory OS install takes up about 12.5 GB

A custom install frees up around 5 GB.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
If you do a clean install then delete unnessesary iApps and what not you can get more than "a few albums" I have 16.59 gigs of music (3654 songs) along with a few few (1-2)gigs of video clips and still have 7 gigs left.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
40gb is enough as long as its not your main comp, i put most of my music collection 10gb on my iBook along with pictures and a few .AVI files and i still have over 20gb free.....

SHadow

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
hrm that sounds like a good deal through amazon asuming you still get the warenty from apple and the rebate is instant instead of some mail in coupon pos, etc.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
bleh nm it is a mail in rebate(just checked). I'll probably just go with a refurb from apple when one comes availible otherwise I'm waiting for the new intels.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mrweirdo said:
bleh nm it is a mail in rebate(just checked). I'll probably just go with a refurb from apple when one comes availible otherwise I'm waiting for the new intels.
FWIW I have never had a problem with Amazon rebates, and have taken advantage of a few.

B

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
The sale is gone as of now. Yesterday if you added the iBook to your cart it said $899, then you use the rebate for a grand total of $799! Right now, when I added to the my cart it said $999, back to its original price:( I would probably definitely buy it new for $200 off considering it would be my first Mac and I've wanted THAT iBook for a while now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
shadowmoses said:
40gb is enough as long as its not your main comp, i put most of my music collection 10gb on my iBook along with pictures and a few .AVI files and i still have over 20gb free.....

SHadow

My Itunes collecton stands at 42gb... Would'nt get anywhere near to putting that on an ibook :) I don't even bother with them on my PB, i put them all on an external Laie Drive. If I'm away from the desk or laptop then I have them on my ipod anyway so it doesn't matter that they are not on the internal drive.

The ibook is a lovely computer though :D Doe's anyone know if it's possible to still get the emac? I know it's been discontinued officially, but I think personally they are quite attractive and would like to get one to replace an old pc in the office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.