Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
So far, two occurrences of a bent 6+ in this thread, both front pocket. It really does seem like something to be following.

Have to say thanks to the OP for posting about it. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for whether a pattern establishes or not. My 6+ hasn't yet arrived...

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
6+ owners need to carry holsters or fanny pack. In no way should Apple use their inventory to replace this due to gross, willful negligence. You wanted the big phone, deal with the consequences.

Putting a phone in your front pocket is gross negligence? I've had a Note 3 and One Plus One in my front pocket for long periods of time. never had a issue.

This is disturbing news.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Who rides in a car with their phone in their pant pocket?

Not 6+ users, that's for sure.

I do, what's the point of Bluetooth enabled cars. If I am driving 5 hours to the beach, I take it out. But if I am driving around town I don't.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Putting a phone in your front pocket is gross negligence? I've had a Note 3 and One Plus One in my front pocket for long periods of time. never had a issue.

This is disturbing news.

Squeezing something into a smaller container and then applying hundred of pounds of pressure (which is what happens when pants pull on the ends of the phone) is most certainly gross negligence.

No different that someone trying to fit into a smaller case and breaking it in the process. If you wanted a phone for the pocket, get a smaller phone. Don't blame Apple.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Do you people really think you can put these in your pants pocket and not bend
it? C'mon a little common sense, Please!

I'm sure Apple will get the blame and be asked to replace it......amazing.....*face palm*

Cmon be realistic. Unless you are a woman who carries a purse where else are you going to place a phone but in your pocket?

That's where I've been keeping my phone since.... The first phone I ever had. That said I don't wear skinny jeans so I don't see how this damage is really possible

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Squeezing something into a smaller container and then applying hundred of pounds of pressure (which is what happens when pants pull on the ends of the phone) is most certainly gross negligence.

No different that someone trying to fit into a smaller case and breaking it in the process. If you wanted a phone for the pocket, get a smaller phone. Don't blame Apple.

Apple's engineering should ensure that a *mobile* phone has sufficient casing strength to resist bending under normal usage conditions. Putting them into front and side pockets is normal for most folk.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Apple's engineering should ensure that a *mobile* phone has sufficient casing strength to resist bending under normal usage conditions. Putting them into front and side pockets is normal for most folk.

Exactly. Outside of work when I leave home I carry wallet keys phone. Where are you to put a phone other than your pocket

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I really hope these are separate (rare) incidents because i'm glad Apple finally released a larger phone. But it's one more reason for me to keep my One Plus One and wait for the 6S+.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
A lot of people are being harsh on the OP as if he's an idiot for putting his phone in his pants pocket.

Im surprised it bent and I'm sure apple will replace the phone. Everyone i know carries their phone in their pants pocket.

Why would apple replace it?

NeilSpoon

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
The Apple apologists are out in force today. Good god!

The vast majority of male users will carry their phone in their front pocket. Has this been an issue with similar sized Android phones? My guess is no.

I think apple pushed the thinness too far. This is why I never buy on the first day. Will definitely keep an eye on this.....

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple offers 3 sizes of iPhone at this point.

That's 3 options to accommodate your lifestyle, which would include how you carry the device.

Apple sold you a perfectly functioning device, but it doesn't seem like you the product that best suits your real world needs. The end result is YOU damaged your phone.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Wow. This is a scary thread. It's making me think twice about my 6 Plus...

Why? Because someone has an issue?

If that's the case, you should give up your drivers license because I've seen people get into car accidents. :rolleyes:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Apple offers 3 sizes of iPhone at this point.

That's 3 options to accommodate your lifestyle, which would include how you carry the device.

Apple sold you a perfectly functioning device, but it doesn't seem like you the product that best suits your real world needs. The end result is YOU damaged your phone.

Chortle. A perfectly functioning device it may be, but fit for purpose? The latter may turn out differently. Two cases of bent iPhones is not an epidemic, but it's very early days.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
That's unfortunate...but we all knew the 6+ isn't pocketable and not useable one handed. Can you imagine what it would look like if it was in your back pocket for an extended period of time. Find it hard to believe that Apple is going to replace this...unless Applecare+ covers it.

One handed use can be debated, as for putting it in a pocket you are correct. I would never put a 5, 6, or 6plus in my pocket without a reinforcing case. Every 5/5s not used in a case that i have seen is bend. I would never take the risk.

I also find it hard to believe that Apple would or should replace a bent phone.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I really hope these are separate (rare) incidents because i'm glad Apple finally released a larger phone. But it's one more reason for me to keep my One Plus One and wait for the 6S+.

Most likely, it will be the same design. Was the case with the 4 and 4s, 5 and 5s.

Didn't we have this exact thread with the iphone 5s?

If your pants are tight, and you put the phone in there, and the phone is being contorted this way and that....well it might happen then. I'm sorry, but its kind of obvious isn't it? It is made of metal, and metal is not denim, or even plastic. Metal doesn't have the elasticity that other materials have.

It just like buying a pair of pants that are too tight. Over time...you get a rip in the seam.

Its not a "oh you can't set down with a phone in your pocket" or "you can't drive with it in your pocket".

Yes you can, but if you put it in your pocket, and it is obviously tight and hampering your movement, that same pressure your feeling is also being applied to the phone.

If you can't get looser pants (everyone has their own style, I wear pants that are in the middle, I guess)....than get apple care + or a smaller phone.

hanzoh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
OP are you 100% sure it wasn't already bent? Same with that second poster with the photo.

The bends seem very similar, so I guess it could go either way (a batch coming like that, or suffering the same fate in the field).

100% sure it was okay before as a friend wanted to see it via Facetime and I showed him the phone from the side how thin it is. I would have noticed that it was already bent.

To all the guys with the skinny jeans theory: Again, I was wearing suit pants the whole day. In the car, I was able to move the phone easily in the pocket (to the side of my thighs so that it won't fall out of the pocket.

I have always put my phones in the front pocket, drove in cars and sat all day at work. So do all of my friends and colleagues.

I witnessed a return of a bent iPhone 5S in an Apple Store and it was replaced without any hassle.

I really hope my 6 Plus was an exception, otherwise Apple has a serious problem.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Chortle. A perfectly functioning device it may be, but fit for purpose? The latter may turn out differently. Two cases of bent iPhones is not an epidemic, but it's very early days.

Epidemic of a lack of common sense is a certainty.

I wouldn't buy a phone if I didn't think it could accommodate my common daily actions.

Modern smartphones aren't meant to be used as benches or surfboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.